The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W., Ramon, PeaceBeToAll
5,982 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 167 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,388
Posts416,719
Members5,982
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
OP Offline
G
Subdeacon Brian Butcher of the UGCC discusses the ramifications of Traditionis custodes for the entire Catholic Church, both East and West:

He makes a good point starting at 10:03 [youtube.com] to 10:50.

T
T
Great video, very interesting. Thanks for posting. As someone who tries to attend the traditional Latin rite.

ajk Offline
I spoke Sunday with two members of a local Orthodox church. They said a significant growth is in the Western Rite. It took me a while to process what I was seeing in this article but it may become familiar: Saint Benedict Orthodox Church blesses Lake Wichita [yahoo.com]

Saint Benedict Orthodox Church blesses Lake Wichita

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ajk; 02/03/22 01:55 PM.
1 member likes this: OEFNavyVet
I was very happy to hear that Pope Francis is not including the FSSP in his moto proprio, but I have wandered what it will do to the eastern churches. I’m not that familiar with them (that’s why I am here, to learn), but I have wandered about it. We do have a smaller Byzantine parish here and I would love to see them grow.

L
L
One must keep in mind that Vatican II basically commanded the Eastern Catholic Churches to return to their roots, purge any latinizations that creeped in, and to embrace the fullness of their traditions.

It's important to understand that every Pope since St. Pope Paul VI has been carrying out the visions of V2. One of the visions is the reform of the Roman Rite, which I think we can all agree is a work in progress. But what is evident is that the Tridentine Mass is not the future of the Latin Church.

However, seeing that V2 told the Eastern Churches to be themselves, I don't foresee any impact to them.

The ecumenical Spirit of V2 is important to keep in mind. The Eastern Catholic Churches are the bridges to the Orthodox. Not that they have much interest in uniting with us any time soon, but there would be absolutely zero chance of them ever coming into communion with Rome if the Eastern Catholics were told to abandon their liturgies.

G
OP Offline
G
The phrase "the spirit of Vatican II" has been used to justify things that the documents of the Council had never intended.

Yes, the call of the Council was for the Eastern Catholic Churches to recover their authentic liturgical heritage and to "de-latinize".

Unfortunately, some of them (e.g., Maronite, Syro-Malabar, Chaldean, Coptic, Syriac) have undergone a "neo-latinization" or, as others put it, a "Novus Ordo-ization", such as:

1) shorter Sunday Liturgies and rites,
2) liturgies celebrated facing the people,
3) use of "altar girls",
4) use of electronic musical instruments not part of one's liturgical tradition,
5) use of statues.

A Russian Greek Catholic priest said to me jokingly that some of the most beautiful looking Roman Catholic churches are the Eastern Catholic churches.

R
R
@LionHippo44 By any chance, did you have an account on the fisheaters forums by any chance?

1 member likes this: LionHippo44
L
L
Yes - I would DM you but I don't think I have that ability yet.

R
R
You still over there on fisheaters?

L
L
I still have an account, but haven't been on there for months. I take a look at it once in a while without logging in, but really have no interest in commenting there any more.

G
G

The problem is, the contemporary Ordinary Form of the Mass at your local Roman Catholic Church likely does not adhere to the actual liturgical constitution of the Second Vatican Council.

How can Romen expect fiedlity and loyalty when they themselves do not even adhere to their own council? Bizarre.

2 members like this: G Xuereb, Ruthenian1988
G
G
From what I can see, it hasn't had any impact on the Greek Catholic community in Malta. But, according to this article, the Tridentine Mass in Malta will likely be stopped.

Desiderio desideravi [pro-tridentina-malta.blogspot.com]

Christ is in our midst!!
OEFNavyVet,

Welcome to the forum.

Bob

[quoteThe problem is, the contemporary Ordinary Form of the Mass at your local Roman Catholic Church likely does not adhere to the actual liturgical constitution of the Second Vatican Council.][/quote]

Christ is in our midst!!

Actually it does. The Vatican Council set forth general principles for the reform of the Liturgy. Pope St Paul VI put those principles into effect with the Missal he approved. While it was not perfect and has been a work in progress--we currently have the Third Typical Edition in use--it is faithful to the Council's vision. It has been implemented in an uneven fashion, given the fact that every bishop has the authority to adapt to local conditions. But that does not mean the Ordinary Form does not adhere to the Council's liturgical constitution.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.