The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 343 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,751
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jjp Offline OP
OP Offline
J
This isn't so much a post about news as it is a question about lack of news. If it belongs in a different section, please feel free to move - I was not certain.

Is it common knowledge or generally expected when the Eparchy of Phoenix will be getting a new bishop? Any day now? Next year? Something in between? If memory servers, the transition from +Bishop Dino to Bishop John was rather quick/seamless.

I know there are lots of things going on in the eparchy, and do not mean to invite speculation beyond the actual question at hand... when do we get a bishop!?

That is an excellent question. The Eparchy was administered sede vacante by Bishop Olmstead, who is now out at Phoenix for the Latins, but the new bishop was not listed as taking his place for us. So is Olmstead still the apostolic administer of the Eparchy? Or is there another Bishop who has not yet been named?

Originally Posted by akemner
That is an excellent question. The Eparchy was administered sede vacante by Bishop Olmstead, who is now out at Phoenix for the Latins, but the new bishop was not listed as taking his place for us. So is Olmstead still the apostolic administer of the Eparchy? Or is there another Bishop who has not yet been named?

Rome announced Bishop Olmstead would continue as Apostolic Administrator.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
I must have missed that-it is not in the press release or the Daily Bulletin for 6/10 that announced the change. Where did Rome announce that?

Last edited by akemner; 06/19/22 11:51 PM.
The Eparchy of Phoenix sent a memo stating the Rome had told them Bishop Olmstead would remain Apostolic Adminstrator.

R
R
Father Deacon Lance do we know when the investigation into the Eparchy will end, and we will get our own Bishop again? I hope Rome doesn't plan to run our Eparchy indefinitely?

R
R
Hey JJP, which parish do you attend in California?

ajk Offline
Originally Posted by Ruthenian1988
... do we know when the investigation into the Eparchy will end, and we will get our own Bishop again?
It is sometimes observed that history may not repeat itself but it does rhyme. From 2011, Re: Any News on a Metropolitan?

Father Deacon Lance do we know when the investigation into the Eparchy will end, and we will get our own Bishop again? I hope Rome doesn't plan to run our Eparchy indefinitely?
Sorry. No idea.

J
J
Why is the selection of a new bishop waiting for Rome instead of being handled by the Archeparchy of Pittsburgh? And why is the eparchy run by a Rome-appointed administrator instead of one appointed by the Archeparchy?

Genuinely asking here because I don't know, not trying to stir up trouble.

U
U
Could not all this be solved by a union with the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church, or am I not allowed to bring these ancient and archaic divides up?

1 member likes this: Ruthenian1988
J
jjp Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by JosephS
Why is the selection of a new bishop waiting for Rome instead of being handled by the Archeparchy of Pittsburgh? And why is the eparchy run by a Rome-appointed administrator instead of one appointed by the Archeparchy?

Genuinely asking here because I don't know, not trying to stir up trouble.

I have wondered this myself.

J
jjp Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hey JJP, which parish do you attend in California?

I've since moved, but I attended Annunciation in Anaheim. Will have to figure out how to change my profile smile

J
jjp Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Just bumping up in case anyone has any info. It's starting to feel like we are not a serious Church...

Because Eastern Catholic churches are not actually sui iuris.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.