The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 238 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#415456 04/04/16 02:05 AM
P
OP Offline
P
I apologize in advance if this question has been discussed before. To my knowledge, in the Orthodox Church marriage between an Orthodox Christian and a non-Christian is forbidden, and will result in the Orthodox party being excommunicated.

On the other hand, my understanding is that in the Roman Catholic Church (Latin Rite) a Catholic Christian may marry a non-Christian with the permission of the bishop. What is the situation in the Eastern Catholic Churches since they are part of the Catholic Church?

Peteprint:

Welcome to the forum.

Some of our Orthodox members, including our esteemed clergy members, could give you a link to the normal rules surrounding marriage in their Churches. I sent you a pm with a copy of the guidelines from a diocese in communion with the Ecumenical Patriarch. I don't believe there is an automatic excommunication for marrying someone who is not Orthodox, but there are certain restrictions that these members can explain more fully.

We also have many Eastern Catholic members, including esteemed clergy, who can sketch out the rules for marriage by their members

Bob

P
OP Offline
P
Thank you Bob.

Peter

G
G
Would it be possible to PM with these guidelines?
Originally Posted by theophan
Peteprint:

Welcome to the forum.

Some of our Orthodox members, including our esteemed clergy members, could give you a link to the normal rules surrounding marriage in their Churches. I sent you a pm with a copy of the guidelines from a diocese in communion with the Ecumenical Patriarch. I don't believe there is an automatic excommunication for marrying someone who is not Orthodox, but there are certain restrictions that these members can explain more fully.

We also have many Eastern Catholic members, including esteemed clergy, who can sketch out the rules for marriage by their members

Bob

Would you be able to PM with these guidelines? Thanks in advance.

Christ is in our midst!!

Let me see if I can find them.

It's too long. I sent you a pm.

Bob

Last edited by theophan; 07/11/22 07:11 PM.
1 member likes this: G Xuereb
G
G
Received it. Thanks a lot.

C
C
It looks to be the same as the Roman Catholic position on marriage between baptized and unbaptized persons. You can marry an unbaptized person as long as a bishop gives a dispensation. Children must be raised Catholic, dangers removed etc. Here are the Eastern Canons . . .

Canon 803 - §1. Marriage with a non-baptized person cannot validly be celebrated.
§2. If at the time of the celebration of the marriage the party was commonly held to be baptized or his or her baptism was doubtful, the validity of the marriage is to be presumed, according to the norm of can. 779, until it is proven with certainty that one party was baptized and the other was not.
§3. Concerning the conditions for dispensing, can. 814 is to be applied.

Canon 814 - For a just reason the local hierarch can grant permission; however he is not to grant it unless the following conditions are fulfilled:
1° the Catholic party declares that he or she is prepared to remove dangers of falling away from the faith and makes a sincere promise to do all in his or her power to have all the offspring baptized and educated in the Catholic Church;
2° the other party is to be informed at an appropriate time of these promises which the Catholic party has to make, so that it is clear that the other party is truly aware of the promise and obligation of the Catholic party;
3° both parties are to be instructed on the essential ends and properties of marriage, which are not to be excluded by either spouse.

Christ is in our midst!!

ClearwaterByz:

Welcome to the forum. We hope you time with us is beneficial.

Are you citing Easter Catholic canons?

Bob

K
K
My Melkite priest was an Antiochian Orthodox priest for like 15 years before coming over and his wife has always been Melkite. We have agreements with the Orthodox (this is possibly particular to the Melkites/Antiochians or it's CCEO, can't remember) that dictate the father's church is where the children end up being ascribed.

I don't think there's a problem here _in principle_ but you will definitely want to talk to priests on both sides and IIRC it's common to get a dispensation from the Catholic side to be married in an Orthodox Church. But talk to the priests and see what they and the eparchy say.

I don't think you're obliged to vow to raise the children Catholic in light of the agreement we have with them if you're not ascribed to the Latin Church, but your church's particular law may be the deciding factor here.

Christ is in our midst!!

kynokefalos,,

Welcome to the forum.

Bob

1 member likes this: kynokefalos
C
C
Thank you! This website claims to be Eastern Catholic canons. https://www.jgray.org/codes/cceo90eng.html I was curious as to what the answer was so I just did a google search for Eastern Catholic Canons, but I am not not an expert of any kind.

This is the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches. Promulgated by Pope John Paul II in 1990.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
K
K
I usually use https://canonlaw.ninja/ as it has the canons indexed and easily searchable. Has USCCB norms, English/Latin side-by-side, and some other niceties too.

Moderated by  Alice, Fr. Deacon Lance, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.