The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 326 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Lately, I heard of a Greek Orthodox wealthy man dating a wealthy Muslim woman who requested him to convert to Islam and change his Christian name. Sadly, this patsy/milk toast/pawn man fell as easy prey easily conceded just to appease her and her strict muslim parents and be able to marry her. Currently they're engaged. Apparently, it's a marriage of convenience, materialism and greed....not love and sacrifice.

Please pray Urgently for this spiritually blind man for God to open his eyes and see the truth of our beautiful Christian faith and never abandon it and to go to confession and ask God for forgiveness and reclaim His Christian faith.

If this muslim girl and her strict family are that fanatic about their muslim religion, why don't they seek another muslim man???

Thank you in advance for all your prayers!

Also, is there a patron saint for apostates we can invoke their intersession?

I
I
☦️🙏

A
A
I don't know of any particular Saint, but, since he dealt directly with Islam, how about St. John of Damascus?

OP Offline
Thank you Adamscs for your reply. Yes St. John of Damascus and I just remembered others who could qualify as patron saints of apostates in general. Actually many saints dealt with Muslims and Protestants and led to the conversion of many of them.

Please continue to pray as that Scriptural verse on the home page from Philippians instructs.

OP Offline
Thank you In the trenches for your continued and persevering prayers! Here are some saints who dealt with apostates and Muslims: St. Francis of Assisi, St. Peter Clever who led to the conversion of many Protestants and Muslims. St. Peter the apostle for being the Rock.

I am sure there are many others....

Please keep the prayers flowing up....

OP Offline
*Sorry I meant St. Peter Claver. Could not find edit.

Apparently, it's a marriage of convenience, materialism and greed....not love and sacrifice.

Christ is in our midst!!

So many things to address. But this quote is key to me. Why is it happening?

It's one thing to marry someone of one's own religion for this reason, though it is not ideal by any means. Who has the money? The woman? Not a reason to get married. The man? Not a reason to get married.

But we are all given free will. So remember the story of the 40 Holy Martyrs of Sebastia. Just as all 40 were to receive their crowns, one gave up.

Is this a story about a man who is promised a very luxurious lifetstyle in exchange for marrying this woman? Is there a pre-nup involved? Is this about Muslims who believe that a woman should not control an inheritance but want to keep the money in the family and no have it go to a kafir?

Last edited by theophan; 10/25/22 07:38 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
OP Offline
Thank you theophan for your insight. They are BOTH wealthy. The man is living a lavish lifestyle. Sadly, most wealthy people like to marry their own class regardless to religion....instead of falling in love with someone who has less money and thus allowing wealth to be distributed evenly in the world, the way God designed the universe.

Yes I know this story. One gave up and was replaced by the guard man who converted due to the endurance of the rest 39.

Christ is in our midst!!

There is another consideration here. When the inlaws start dictating and the woman does not have the courage to set boundaries, the inlaws will be dictating forever. I know of situations like this. My advice to this guy would be to flee while there is still time.

OP Offline
Thank you theophan for your wise and practical counsel. I don't know him personally. Heard about it in the media. That's why we need to continue to pray to this blind gent who is only following the money not his soul and spirit. Let's hope and pray that the euphoria phase of the relationship is over. This is when people in relationship start to see things in reality rather than through rose-colored glasses. They start to make wiser and better decisions based on reality rather than their feelings.

Another consideration is the country where they decide to live. If they live in the west, It will be easier for him to call the shots, and vice versa if they live in muslim country then the outcome would be what you described.

Prayers going up......Kyrie eleison!!!

H
H
"Lately, I heard of a Greek Orthodox wealthy man dating a wealthy Muslim woman........."

By your opening remarks, I assumed this situation was something that you heard second hand and did not involve you personally. As the thread progresses, I am beginning to feel that your concern here is a bit more "close to home."

Forgive me for asking, but is this situation directly or indirectly affecting you? If you do not wish to go there, it is your prerogative, and I'll take back the question......just curious

OP Offline
Hutsul, of course it affects me as a jealous Christian for God's kingdom. I know Islam tries to advance itself by practicing that in Marriage. When someone gets married in other culture they need to be open-,minded, humble and respectful of their partner, not force it on them as in this case.

Another consideration is the country where they decide to live. If they live in the west, It will be easier for him to call the shots, and vice versa if they live in muslim country then the outcome would be what you described.

Christ is in our midst!!

Forgive me, but domineering parents of one of the partners in a marriage don't respect countries or locations. Usually the parents who are domineering become part of the marriage dynamic and don't go away. It only gets worse with the passage of time. The spouse whose parents think they can dictate become part of the marriage. Think of it as having four people in the marriage rather than two and the Lord. Gets crowded. The dominated spouse becomes a puppet for the parents.

Last edited by theophan; 10/26/22 05:38 PM.
OP Offline
Hutsul, of course it affects me as a jealous Christian for God's kingdom. I know Islam tries to advance itself by practicing that in Marriage. When someone gets married to other culture, they need to be open-,minded, humble and respectful of their partner, not force it on them as in this case.

Last edited by theophan; 10/26/22 05:38 PM.
Christ is in our midst!!

Christbearer25,

It will come down to the Gospel's question--What will you take in exchange for your immortal soul? Or What is most valuable to you--your immortal soul or some passing thing in this world.

Last edited by theophan; 10/26/22 05:41 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.