The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (seven_mansions), 409 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
NOVAByz Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I just bought and received a copy of the new "Book of Hours" and must say that I am very excited. It is an English translation of the Rome Часослов published as part of the Ruthenian Recension. While I'm still reading through it, everything I have seen thus far appears to be an accurate translation of the Slavonic version when I compare the translation with the original Slavonic text. (I also believe it was translated by Father John Basarab who I know is a fluent expert in Church Slavonic.) If you're looking for a great, and very interesting, prayer book, I highly recommend getting a copy: Book of Hours (https://ecpubs.com/product/the-book-of-hours/) [ecpubs.com] .

That is wonderful to hear! I just purchased it yesterday evening and was hoping to hear (or read) if someone else had commented upon it. I am so looking forward to receiving it and praying with it.

D
D
i have not yet pulled the trigger on this purchase. I have been using the Anthologia from St. Ignatius Orthodox Press and I have been pretty happy with it. From what I gather/infer, the "Book of Hours" is not set up as easily for Reader's Services and does not contain the variety of stichera for Matins and Vespers that the Anthologia does, but it does contain daily troparia and kontaria for the Church year. Is this correct? How easily does it allow for praying of the hours on special days? Such as vespers of Christmas/Theophany and Easter (Holy Saturday). Does it contain any of the royal hours?

Keep in mind this is an exact reproduction in English of the Ruthenian Chasoslav. Ease of use, for better or worse, was not the goal.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
S
S
This seems to be an attractive book for me, partly because it is an exact English reproduction of the Chasoslov. I have been using the Basilian Horologion in English because it is relatively complete (emphasis on relative), but I'm not thrilled with translation. I have also been looking at the St. Ignatius Anthologion.

This is the smaller version of the Horologion. It is better suited for regular days, not feast days, and is more aligned to the cell rule than for parochial use. There is enough material to say every service in a fairly complete manner. There are materials for Vespers and Matins for each weekday (stichera, aposticha canons, exapostilaria, no sessional hymns), as well as the Sunday material in Tone 6. Typika has a set of verses in Tone 6 for the Beatitudes and a Epistle and Gospel. There isn't any festal material beyond troparia and kontakia. A separate volume with feasts and middle feasts, as well as a complete psalter would be nice to have round it out (there are three Kathismata in it-the 1st for Sunday, the 17th for Midnight Monday-Friday, and used Saturday and Sunday at Orthros, and the 9th for Saturday Midnight).

There is an expanded two volume version (the Great Horologion) that has quite a bit more material. Volume 1 of that is avail in parallel Slavonic/English from ECPubs.

J
JLF Offline
J
Discount on The Book of Hours ends soon!

Our "early-bird" discount price on The Book of Hours ($60 discount from $75 regular price) will end in less than a week, on November 30, 2022. Get your copy now!

https://ecpubs.com/product/the-book-of-hours/

ajk Offline

J
JLF Offline
J
Here are updated videos with sample pages inserted, and 3 videos by Father Custer, including the First Hour, Daily Vespers and Great Vespers, using the new Book of Hours:

1. Introducing the Casoslov

2. Daily Vespers

3. Great Vespers

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.