The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Atomic Parakeet 1, Anna777, HeraclitusTheObscu, Charbelknox, Andreas_Iacobus
5,828 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (longinus, 1 invisible), 62 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Byzantine Nebraska
Byzantine Nebraska
by orthodoxsinner2, December 11
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,136
Posts414,726
Members5,828
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
As someone who loves to read and is always looking for good books, I would like to ask you folks what you consider to be the best spiritual book(s) you have ever read, besides the Bible of course.

I have a growing collection myself, which includes

*Prayers by the Lake, by St. Nikolai Velimirovic
*The PAth to Salvation, by St. Theophan the Recluse
*Way of a Pilgrim
*The Sayings of the Desert Fathers, ed. Benedicta Ward
*My Life in Christ, by St. John of Kronstadt

One of the most awesome I've read so far is "Father Arseny: Priest, Prisoner, Spiritual Father."

What are your favorites?

I
I
Most important is certainly the Philokalia.

Incognitus

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Westerner,

"With God In Russia" and "He Leadeth Me" -
both by Father Walter Ciszek, SJ, of blessed memory.
Both are available from:

Ignatius Press [ignatius.com]

"The Face of God"
- by Archbishop Joseph Raya.
It is available from:

Madonna House Publications [madonnahouse.org]

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Any of Archbishop Raya's books are awesome. There have been so many really good books throughout the years.

Dear Westerner,

I agree that the Father Arseny book was positively AWESOME!!!!

Alice

My favorite for over 35 years: The Desert Fathers, translated by Helen Waddell.

Drinking From the Hidden Fountain, A Patristic Breviary, by Thomas Spidlik: a short meditation for each day of the year.

Crossing the Threshhold of Hope, Pope John Paul II.

Prayers and Devotions, Pope John Paul II: a short meditation or prayer for each day of the year.

A young man in a bookstore showed me a rather interesting book called 'The Mountain of Silence'. I didn't buy it, sadly, funds were lacking. But from what I read of it, it looks like a very good read.

Torn betwixt body and soul; somewhere between heaven and earth; is where the penitent but chained sinner weeps. -Errai, "Our Friend Errai", Short story I have not finished.
Glory to Jesus Christ!

Kyriacos Markides' "The Mountain of Silence" is an excellent book on our Byzantine Spirituality.

Our parish read it together for Phillip's Fast 2003.

John

OP Offline
I must add that any book by Fr. Anthony Coniaris is bound to benefit the soul, my favs being

What Is Life? Why Are You Here? What is Your Reason for Living?

Finding God in Times of Sorrow and Despair

He came to our parish to speak some years ago and I enjoyed him a great deal. His books are available from Light and Life Publishers in the Twin Cities. I think their website is
www.light-n-life.com. [light-n-life.com.]

"Unseen Warfare" is a powerful book! I still reread sections of the "Way of the Pilgrim" especially the one on confession. Mykola Gogol's "Meditiations on the Divine Liturgy" are also great.

Alex

H
H
The Ladder of Divine Acsent, by St. John Climacus.

O
O
Originally posted by Halychanyn:
The Ladder of Divine Acsent, by St. John Climacus.
Truly a wonderful book - agree wholeheartedy, Hal

Anhelyna

Former
Former
The Venerable Anthony, Archbishop of Voronezh always said, "He who has not yet read the lives of the Saints has not read much that is precious, here grace-filled vitures are presented in bright forms; here the Gospel truth shines forth in living examples; here are the examples which lead to a saintly life."

So my answer personally is: The Lives of the Saints.

Archbishop Anthony was always VERY fond of the writings of St. Tikhon of Zadonsk and said, "St. Tikhon is our own Ephraim the Syrian, The writings of Bishop Tikhon are beneficial balm for every soul. I ask you at least once to partake of this sweet spiritual nourishment."

In Christ Jesus Our Lord,
+Fr. Gregory

+Father Archimandrite Gregory, who asks for your holy prayers!
J
Jim Offline
J
I agree with Fr. Gregory about the lives of the saints. There are 2 collections in particular that I would recommend.

The first is "The Prologue of Ohrid", which is available in 2 volumes for about $110 new, or in 4 volumes for more. Originally in Serbian, it provides about 4 pages per day of hagiographical insight into the saints for the day, along with a hymn, reflection, and homily.

The second, "The Great Collection of the Lives of the Saints", by St. Demetrius of Rostov, is being translated into English from the Russian, and currently has volumes available for September through February. Some days are over 50 pages, but it is a wealth of witness to the power of Christ in the lives of many of His people.

I've mentioned this before, but one priest said to me that all we need to know to live our lives as faithful christians, including theology, we can learn by studying the lives of the saints. Their stories cover just about anything and everything we encounter in the world today, so he was right.

Moderated by  Alice, Father Deacon Ed, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2022 (Forum 1998-2022). All rights reserved.