The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 326 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#51416 07/22/06 09:18 AM
JohnS. Offline OP
OP Offline
Wondering,

Unfortunately for us, the bigger problem on the table is the survival of our Carpatho-Rusyn church. Unless we act today with real vision we'll soon be extinct.

Don't get me wrong, things have definitely improved in the past decade or so. But not nearly fast enough. We're still dying. And it's not Rome this time. It's us!

In Christ,

John

#51417 07/22/06 01:51 PM
D
djs Offline
D
Unless we act today with real vision we'll soon be extinct.
Perhaps you would discuss what your vision is. Directly, not just vague vision statements, but action items.

things have definitely improved in the past decade or so. But not nearly fast enough.
And your timetable.

#51418 07/22/06 02:56 PM
JohnS. Offline OP
OP Offline
Glory to Jesus Christ!

Ah djs, you ask the golden question.

Let's look at two examples of well-crafted visions:

1.) An Eastern Christian example: "The Antiochian Archdiocese, under the leadership of His Eminence Metropolitan Philip Saliba, sees itself on a mission to bring America to the ancient Orthodox Christian Faith."

2.) A secular example: http://www.ge.com/en/company/companyinfo/at_a_glance/key_growth_initiatives.htm

3.) For the Metropolia:

Perhaps something like ...

Sharing the gifts of Eastern Christianity to bring America to Christ.

What are your thoughts?

In Christ,

John

#51419 07/22/06 03:17 PM
D
djs Offline
D
I think that the Antiochian statement and your suggestion are nice examples of "vague mission statements" rather than examples of specfic action items that give substance to a real strategic plan. I don't think that such vision statements can help in the slightest to guard against "extinction"; to the extent that that threat is real, real action in real time is required. And that is what I asked you about.

#51420 07/22/06 04:26 PM
Originally posted by djs:
a real strategic plan.
Does your Orthodox parish have a real strategic plan? What makes it "real"? What makes it effective? Are there any models that are working?

Nick

#51421 07/22/06 06:56 PM
M
M
Unfortunately, trying to use the Orthodox calculation of Pascha with the Gregorian (common civil) calendar causes other problems, particularly with the minor fasting periods
To my immediate knowledge and recollection, the only fast period affected is the fast of the Holy Apostles. If Pascha falls later in the traditional Paschalion, the Apostles fast can be reduced to less than a week.

#51422 07/22/06 07:13 PM
JohnS. Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by nicholas:
[b] a real strategic plan.
Does your Orthodox parish have a real strategic plan? What makes it "real"? What makes it effective? Are there any models that are working?

Nick [/b]
Here are a few parishes that are on doing some wonderful things:

St. George in Aliquippa, Penn.
Patronage, Baltimore, MD
St. Elias, Brampton, ONT
Annunciation in Homer Glen, Ill.

Perhaps our forum members know specifics?

#51423 07/22/06 07:16 PM
JohnS. Offline OP
OP Offline
I think that the Antiochian statement and your suggestion are nice examples of "vague mission statements" rather than examples of specfic action items that give substance to a real strategic plan. I don't think that such vision statements can help in the slightest to guard against "extinction"; to the extent that that threat is real, real action in real time is required. And that is what I asked you about.
-------------------

Visions are vague. They tend to be quite aspirational too ...

Sounds like you�re looking for tactics. Here are a few thoughts in no particular order.

1. Hold an All-Metropolia Conference to lay all the cards on the table. It�s time to level with folks with a state of the ship. eek

2. Immediately start celebrating our complete Divine Liturgy without abbreviation in all parishes. cool

3. Get a core group of parishioners to commit to tithing for one year. wink

4. Start accepting men into minor orders and use them as ground troops in parishes to undertake the New Evangelization. smile

5. No more pre-cut prosphora. :rolleyes:

6. Return to our Orthodox Paschalia. cool

It would help if we had a vision and mission first. Then we could align appropriate tactics.

#51424 07/22/06 09:24 PM
D
djs Offline
D
Nick:
Does your Orthodox parish have a real strategic plan?
I actually don't know about strategic plans, but the tactics that I observe at the parish level are part of what I wrote to Gordo when he asked a similar question. I can't find that post at the moment.

I can also add that my observations make it clear that Old Calendar is not considered a crucial component of EO identity, and for that matter, neither is the Eastern Paschalion.

Are there any models that are working?
Who knows - hard data is not easy to come by. The young fogey linked to these articles termed "a most devasting critique of the Orthodox convert boomlet".

http://ochlophobist.blogspot.com/2006/06/berfromm-snuggling-up-to-gates-of-hell.html
http://ochlophobist.blogspot.com/2006/06/berfromm-snuggling-up-to-gates-of-hell_26.html
http://ochlophobist.blogspot.com/2006/06/berfromm-snuggling-up-to-gates-of-hell_27.html
http://ochlophobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/berfromm-snuggling-up-to-gates-of-hell.html

#51425 07/22/06 09:36 PM
D
djs Offline
D
Thanks JohnS. Although I was more interested in strategy rather than tactics, what you wrote in very illuminating. Owing to the breadth of language used people might be in broad agreement on vision statements, perhaps even on mission statements. Strategy and tactics are different because of their specificity. What you have written is very revealing.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.