The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 259 guests, and 56 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
V
Vesty Offline OP
OP Offline
V
If a priest is sick or not available on a Sunday is it permitted to have an "eastern communion service" with the consecrated particles kept in the tabernacle from a prior Divine Liturgy? Does such a thing exist? If so, what is the format and does anyone have a copy? Thank you!

Vesty, I have several electronically I could share if you send me a PM with contact info. I led a Typika service with Presanctified Gifts for several months as a subdeacon in the absence of a priest with the blessing of the Bishop. Protodeacon David Kennedy's is very good and was the inspiration for the version we used:

http://www.saintelias.com/DivServices_elia/Typika/Typika.html

Remember that anyone can lead just the regular monastic Typika without Communion as a Reader's Service, even with the Readings, but to give the Presanctified Gifts and to preach MUST only be with the specific direction and blessing of the Bishop.

O
O
Originally posted by Vesty:
If a priest is sick or not available on a Sunday is it permitted to have an "eastern communion service" with the consecrated particles kept in the tabernacle from a prior Divine Liturgy? Does such a thing exist? If so, what is the format and does anyone have a copy? Thank you!
Hmm - difficult situation but I'll have a stab.

It strikes me that this is not possible

No-one should enter the Altar without good reason and certainly not laity

So if you know that the Priest is prevented from coming then

1) go to the nearest BC Church if possible or failing that the local RC Church - where you will be able to assist in Mass and Receive Holy Communion there

2) Borrow a Priest

3) Have a Service of Typica [ and all the 'stuff' needed for that can be found on Fr John Whiteford's Site ]

Hope that helps

Anhelyna

Administrator
Administrator
Vesty,

In all reality, nothing should be done without the knowledge and blessing of the hierarch. It is one thing to abbreviate a service for diaconal or lay leadership, but with the Eastern and Orthodox mindset regarding the Eucharist, this is a matter for the hierarch only.

A lot of scandal and possibly other problems from the hierarch can befall those who act without a blessing or tacit permission.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+

Everyone baptized into Christ should pass progressively through all the stages of Christ's own life, for in baptism he receives the power so to progress, and through the commandments he can discover and learn how to accomplish such progression. - Saint Gregory of Sinai

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.