The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 330 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#65535 06/18/02 11:34 PM
OP Offline
Hello Folks,

I'm wondering why do some Byzantine Catholic Churches...use the words "Mother of God" rather than using "Theotokos?"

I firmly feel that "Theotokos" have a stronger meaning in her role...it defines her more accurately and more powerfully than the watered down terms "Mother of God."

I also wonder if using "Mother of God" is another form of Latinization?

Why can't we go back to "Theotokos?"

Thanks.

SPDundas
Deaf Byzantine

PS...Yeah..although I'm deaf....so you can laugh when I say this: I think "Theotokos" have a nicer ring to it (sounds better) huh? biggrin

"Through the intercession of the Theotokos O Savior save us!"

#65536 06/19/02 12:23 AM
From my prospective coming from a Slavic church, I think that the term "Mother of God" is used because it was an easy and familiar way of translating "Bohorodica".

I appreciate the two words "Theotokos" and "Bohorodica" because they are "one word" discriptions. We in English do not have one single word to use that fully means the same thing. We rely on multiple words in trying to translate the original such as "Mother of God" or "Birth-Giver of God", and sometimes "God-Bearer".

I don't think it is a Latinization, it's just a problem one commonly faces when translating from one language to another.

#65537 06/19/02 01:44 AM
H
H
If Mother of God would be a Latinization if would sound "Deigenitrix" which is the proper Latin term. wink But I love Theotokos too.

May the Mother of God protect us with Her mantle.

#65538 06/19/02 02:57 AM
Slava Isusu Hristu!

I don't think the term "Mother of God" is weak.

When we talk about Mary, ultimately we are talking about Jesus. Be it "bearer" or "mother," the key term is "God". That's what Nestor stood against. That's what Ephesus stood for. My opinion.

"Through the prayers of the Mother of God, O Saviour save us!"

God bless,
Christopher

PS: I know the Romanian uses "Mother of God" (Maica Domnului) and Armenian uses "God-bearer" (Asdvadzazeen). Makes sense as much Romanian religious terminology came from Church Slavonic, and much Armenian religious terms came directly from the Greek.

#65539 06/19/02 03:39 AM
OP Offline
So okay, if the "Mother of God" isn't weak...and isn't "Latinization" and...just different interpretation of Slavic...Greek...or whatever...it is to make it "Mother of God."

Then why does the Orthodox Churches use "Theotokos" and the Byzantine Churches use "Mother of God?"

I mean...I think that uses of a particular word(s) do have effect on what a Church believes or think. It just makes it seem like these two Churches are more different in that approach than the same (which we should be).

I guess I'm more Orthodox than Byzantine Catholic, huh? (or am I more Byzantine than Byzantine Catholic?)

SPDundas
Deaf Byzantine

#65540 06/19/02 10:06 PM
Originally posted by spdundas:

Then why does the Orthodox Churches use "Theotokos" and the Byzantine Churches use "Mother of God?"

SPDundas
Deaf Byzantine

To me this seems likely due to the translations which the jurisdictions choose to use. I have the "Jordanville Prayerbook" (ROCA) and the "Greyslake Prayerbook" (Serbian Orth) which both use the term "Mother of God".

Then conversely some of us Greek Catholics use "Theotokos", as our deacon does whenever he gets a chance.

One could hear either version in the same church, depending on how much "cutting and pasting" is done for the services.

I am not sure of this, but I have somewhat of an idea that translators may have felt that 'if we're translating it into English, then why should we use Greek?'

If Theotokos works for you: Go for it! smile

With Best Wishes;
Stefan-Ivan

[ 06-19-2002: Message edited by: Stefan-Ivan ]

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.