The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Galumph, Leon_C, Rocco, Hvizsgyak, P.W.
5,984 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 456 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,389
Posts416,722
Members5,984
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
L
OP Offline
L
Don't know what good locking the thread will do, as the confrontations will no doubt just surface somewhere else. There was nothing controversial in the original topic.

C4C Offline
Can I join your Club?

John
John
Thanks to everyone for your comments � both here and via PM/e-mail.

Since there seems to be some confusion as to why I requested of OrthoMan that he take a 30 day break from posting it seems appropriate to state it publicly.

OrthoMan�s posts are mostly uncharitable. His posts resort to name-calling. There is no way that the references to Catholic theology as a �load of you know what�, �baloney� and �mumbo jumbo� (to give just three examples) can be interpreted as proper to a Christian Forum. No one should speak of the theology of any Church that way. Further, OrthoMan has developed a habit in his posts of incorrectly summarizing Catholic teaching and then attacking it. His posts apply a black-and-white standard to Latin theology that he would never apply to the theology of the Eastern Church. There are enough real issues that can be discussed without creating factious ones.

This is an Eastern Christian forum (not a Byzantine Catholic forum) and all views are welcome. Participants must always strive to compose their posts in the spirit of charity. Agreement on the issues is not necessary but civil discourse is. Those who do not adhere to the spirit of charity will be asked not to participate here. OrthoMan is welcome to return in the future to post about Orthodoxy but he must do so in the spirit of charity.

I will state that it is possible that OrthoMan truly doesn�t realize how caustic his posts are to many participants (and readers). He has also contributed some excellent information regarding the common elements of our theology. I hope that in the future he can alter his style of posting to be more charitable because I think has something worthwhile to offer.

Admin

I
I
On addressing the clergy - even when addressing close personal friends, if they are clergy, it is discourteous to use unadorned first names, let alone nicknames, in public. However I was amused that Fr. Deacon Lance signed himself in that fashion but then said that he is "Deacon Lance" a line or so earlier (excuse my proleptic writing this evening!). Father Deacon has got it backwards - the rest of us should all address him in precisely that fashion (unless one or another of us is privileged to do otherwise in private), while he correctly refers to himself as "Deacon Lance" - unless, as is often the case, he finds it necessary to emphasize as courteously as possible that calling somebody "Deacon" is also a bit strange. In other words, if someone is "Archpriest George", we correctly say "Father Archpriest, may I have your blessing?" or whatever - we do not just use "Deacon" or "Archpriest" in the unaccompanied vocative.
My apologies to those who may find these niceties boring! And my sympathy to Father Deacon Lance. Incognitus

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Admin,

Your post addresses the 30 day ban imposed on Orthoman. From an aside by LatinTrad in the Prayer Forum, I deduce that he too may have been banned. May I inquire whether that is indeed the case?

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
T
T
Originally posted by Administrator:
This is an Eastern Christian forum (not a Byzantine Catholic forum)
confused Okay, I am a little confused. This is the "Byzantine Forum", accessed through the Byzantine Catholic website - so how is it "not a Byzantine Catholic forum"?

A
A
Dear Dolly:

Things do get more exciting when you are around! wink

AmdG

T
T
Originally posted by Amado Guerrero:
Dear Dolly:

Things do get more exciting when you are around! wink

AmdG
Well ... thanks!

But seriously, if this isn't a Byzantine Catholic forum, I need to know where to find one. After all, that's the primary reason I started visiting this site, to learn more about the Byzantine Catholic Church. cool

Not trying to start anything, honest!

Dolly,

This forum is meant to focus on all Byzantine Christians, Catholic or Orthodox and the beliefs of both are required to be respected here. In otherwords, one cannot say be uncharitable to the Orthodox or their beliefs and then say this is a Catholic forum tough and vice versa for the Orthodox. There are already Catholic and Orthodox sites where one can do this. One can disagree with Orthodox or Catholic theology but one must do so respectfully.

Yes, the forum is run by a Byzantine Catholic and all the moderators are Byzantine Catholic (although this was not always so, Fr. Kyril where are you?)and you can learn quite a bit about the Byzantine Catholic Church here.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
M
M
Originally posted by Theist Gal:
[b]This is an Eastern Christian forum (not a Byzantine Catholic forum)
confused Okay, I am a little confused. This is the "Byzantine Forum", accessed through the Byzantine Catholic website - so how is it "not a Byzantine Catholic forum"? [/b]
Slava Isusu Christu!

Dolly,

I believe our esteemed Admin means this is "not only a Byzantine Catholic" forum. Don't let the titles fool you. It may be primarily one, but that is not its only function.

In Christ,
mikey.

John
John
Theist Gal wrote:
Okay, I am a little confused. This is the "Byzantine Forum", accessed through the Byzantine Catholic website - so how is it "not a Byzantine Catholic forum"?
Thanks, Father Deacon and Mikey for your comments.

In Orientale Lumen Pope John Paul II stated: �The echo of the Gospel - the words that do not disappoint - continues to resound with force, weakened only by our separation: Christ cries out but man finds it hard to hear his voice because we fail to speak with one accord. We listen together to the cry of those who want to hear God's entire Word. The words of the West need the words of the East, so that God's word may ever more clearly reveal its unfathomable riches. Our words will meet for ever in the heavenly Jerusalem, but we ask and wish that this meeting be anticipated in the holy Church which is still on her way towards the fullness of the Kingdom.�

Back in 1998 when I discussed with others the possibility of adding a message board to this website one of the questions we kept coming back to was �Wouldn�t it be great if there was a forum where all Eastern Christians could participate as equals?� After much thought those I consulted with (lay and priest, Catholic and Orthodox) agreed that it would be best if the Forum would be equal in its treatment of all Eastern Christians so that it could be a home to all Eastern Christians. Without this equality non-Byzantine Catholics could never find the Forum to be an internet home. This precept seems to be working since we probably have the best and brightest mix of Catholic and Orthodox participants on the internet.

Since the creation of The Byzantine Forum a number of people have pointed out that the title itself seems to exclude non-Byzantine Eastern Christians. This is a point that has great merit and if I had thought of it before naming the Forum I might have picked a different name. Since The Byzantine Forum is widely known at this time it does not seem appropriate to select a new name.

Now, before someone objects and says this should be a �Catholic� home, or at least should be equally a home for Roman Catholics, I will quickly state that we also welcome all Catholics � Roman and otherwise � to make their home here. But we must be first and foremost an Eastern Christian household in order to live up to the wise counsel that the Holy Father has given us.

Now� will someone please pass the hummis? biggrin

L
L
Support your Administrator. He is a good Administrator.

I am posting one more time merely because the question has been asked publicly by several people whether I have been banned.

It is true that the Administrator has asked me to take a permanent vacation.

This was a decision made in light of the fact that my posts cause a lot of consternation.

God bless all.

In Christ,

LatinTrad

John
John
Latin Trad wrote:
I am posting one more time merely because the question has been asked publicly by several people whether I have been banned.

It is true that the Administrator has asked me to take a permanent vacation.

This was a decision made in light of the fact that my posts cause a lot of consternation.
LT�s post is accurate but incomplete. I have previously asked him - in posts dealing with theology - to be very careful to distinguish between dogmatic and doctrinal elements. The usual fault of our Roman Catholic participants is that they tend to present the Latin Catholic doctrinal formulas as the standard by which all other Catholics must be judged. Reading through Orientale Lumen several times should be enough to underscore the importance of this. My request was that he please refrain from participation since he could not respect this.

Also, for the sake of completeness, I have asked LT to pick up the discussion with one of the moderators (in the hope that the moderator could explain to LT why some of his posts are so offensive to Eastern Christians). I hope LT pursues this issue with the moderator so that he can again participate in good standing. No matter what, I wish him only the best as he prepares for formal entry into the Church.

Admin

L
L
I wish him only the best as he prepares for formal entry into the Church.
??? confused ???

What Church?

Are you confusing me with Logos Teen?

Thanks for the post, Admin. I have begun discussing things with Hieromonk Elias re: my participation.

God bless.

In Christ,

LatinTrad (not Teen of the Incarnate Logos who is a completely different guy from the South who has never met me and even though we are now quite friendly sometimes similar in outlook wink I am already Catholic)

John
John
Originally posted by LatinTrad:
I wish him only the best as he prepares for formal entry into the Church.
??? confused ???

What Church?

Are you confusing me with Logos Teen?
Yes, for a moment there I thought that you were he. Your names and posting styles are very similar. Plus, I had just that thread. I apologize for the confusion.

Unless, of course, you are secretly preparing to make a change of Particular Church? biggrin

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.