Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Hi brothers and sisters in Christ! If anyone can provide a web link or a quick short answer for now I would really appreciate it.

How truth is it that the Orthodox have a lot of differences in Bible interpretation? It was my understanding that the only differences were the Bishop of Rome and the dispute between Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I thought bible interpretation was the same. I though that the isssues of protestantism such as Mary, Saints, Tradition, etc.. were issued that Orthodox and Catholics agree with. ??

Thank you so much and God Bless.

H
Orthodox Catholic Toddler
Orthodox Catholic Toddler
H
Hello Iliana,

For a quick, short answer I would say that Orthodox theological interpretation is acceptable to Catholics.

For example, you may study an Orthodox Biblical commentary in confidence that you are receiving good instruction.

There is no reason why a Catholic, eastern or western, should fear the theology of the Orthodox; it is compatible with the theology of the Catholic churches. In the opinion of Rome the theology of the Eastern Orthodox churches is not an impediment to reunion.

Protestant theology is too varied to make a general comment on, but most Protestants would have as many problems with Eastern Orthodox teaching as Roman Catholic teaching.

In Christ,
Michael

A
A
In a technical sense, there is not a particular problem with "theology" between Catholics and Orthodox, especially if we look at the current statements of what the filioque really means as used in the West.

For the Orthodox there definitely is the ecclesiological problem of the Papal role, which we might call "a lack of conciliarity" as defined in 1871(?).

And then there are the two Catholic Marian dogmata (Immaculate Conception and Assumption) that present "soteriological" challenges for the Orthodox in that they codify as necessary beliefs actions by God prior to the Incarnation of Christ (Annunciation) and after His Ascension which the scriptures mention only briefly or not at all and which the Ecumenical Councils never sought to define or even discuss. Indeed, the liturgical texts and Patristic record lean thoroughly against definitive statements in these two areas.

These are what I call the four zones of disagreement, the first of which should certainly not be considered as blocking union in and of itself.

In Christ,
Andrew

C
OP Offline
C
I can't thank you enough....God Bless, thank you.

C
C
In a technical sense, there is not a particular problem with "theology" between Catholics and Orthodox, especially if we look at the current statements of what the filioque really means as used in the West.
I believe that there are some prominent Orthodox theologians who would disagree. For instance, I recall that Vladimir Lossky in "The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church" seemed to argue that the "ecclesiological problem of the Papal role" was created by a significant theological error.

Certainly Rome and those in communion with Rome disagree.

As for the statements on the filioque, I'm not certain that they have satisfied the more "Eastern" minded Byzantine Catholics, let alone much of Eastern Orthodoxy.

Moderated by  Alice, Father Deacon Ed, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2022 (Forum 1998-2022). All rights reserved.