The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 344 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#86336 04/19/04 11:28 PM
C
OP Offline
C
While doing a search on the internet for the latest news on the Byzantine Catholic Church; I found a Byzantine Catholic priest named Father Michael Sopoliga. There is a recent article on him in which talks about pews. He says,

Sopoliga said, "was that when we paid off the mortgage, we�d get pews. Once we have pews, and you walk into the sanctuary, I think you�ll get a better sense that this is church. Pews give you a sense of permanence you don�t get from rows of chairs."
[Linked Image]

Source: Pastor ready to lead post-pirogi parish [www1.tcpalm.com]

So, I take it from this article that this priest believes pews are necessary to give the people a sence of "permanence."

I really don't see it that way but I would like to know what the forum thinks of this priest comments.

Thanks!

#86337 04/19/04 11:39 PM
R
Regular atendee
Regular atendee
R
I agree with the priest that there is a differance in the sanctuary between pews and chairs. Some people will feel the differance more than others. It is evident that this priest feels it strongly.
When the parish can afford pews the priest will feel a sence of acomplishment.

#86338 04/20/04 12:15 AM
Christ is Risen!
Truly He is Risen!

Please do NOT bring this up. We have answered Fr. Michael very vigorously ON this Forum as to what we think about pews. Many disagree with his position. A few agree. Posting his personal position for us to comment on AGAIN is just not wise.

IMHO, pews are a Protestant abomination that interfere with full-body worship. Obviously, that contradicts Fr. Michael's opinion, to which he is entitled.

Gaudior, with FULL prostration, unimpeded by PEWS!

#86339 04/20/04 12:53 AM
C
C
I hope that everybody reads the REST of the article and doesn't just focus on the pews line. While reading the article, you will see a priest who wants his parish to grow spiritually and, now that their mortgage is paid, to give much less emphasis to pirohi.

Well done, Fr. Michael!

Dave

#86340 04/20/04 01:17 AM
Christ is Risen!
Truly He is Risen!

Dave, and Fr. Michael,

The quote and thread was on issue of pews, that was the nature of my response...I am all for Parish growth!

But this thread had the nature of being focused on ONE person's views on PEWS, and as he is a member of the forum, I still feel it ill advised to go through this again.

Gaudior, heartily sick of PEWS!
(wishing they were banned in more ways than one)

#86341 04/20/04 06:17 AM
I
I
Well, let's see. Pews are an abomination, for reasons which many of us have already provided. I'm heartily in favor of parish growth, and glad that Father Michael's ambitions lie in building his parish, though surely there are better ways to accomplish this than by measuring the growth of one's parish according to the number of benches (is that a "bench-mark"?). But what's the matter with pirohi? We all have to eat, regardless of the furniture!
Christ is Risen!
Incognitus

#86342 04/20/04 07:41 AM
O
O
OK - so while I wait for health bulletins about my poor car frown I can still read and make a comment or two.

1) I think that due praise has to be given for wiping out a massive overdraft - not an easy thing to do.

2) It's a great pity that this Church did not have a hall/meeting room of it's own in which to hold it's 'regular' fund raising food fairs and had to use the actual Church [ having first curtained off the Sanctuary].

Suggestion from this lopsided Latin

Why not consider building their own Hall / Kitchens / rooms complex ?. The Foodfairs seem to have become part of life there - so keep 'em and use them for growth. We do not have a Parish Hall - and know how difficult it is to cope without it.

These parishioners of Fr Michael's have proved they can do it once - wouldn't they love to feel that they have provided more facilities for their own use ?

Wouldn't they love to see their children meeting in nice rooms for Religious Education classes ?

Wouldn't they love to have comfortable surroundings in which to meet and chat and drink coffee etc after Liturgy ?

Just a few thoughts from the other side of the Pond from one who loves to sing in her Choir gallery - 'cos I can stand there instead of having to sit biggrin biggrin biggrin :p

Anhelyna

#86343 04/20/04 10:48 AM
CHRISTOS VOSKRES!

BRAVO FR. MICHAEL!!!

BOLT THOSE PEWS IN NICE AND STRONG!!!!

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!

mark

the ikon writer
#86344 04/20/04 09:21 PM
F
F
Dear everyone,
1-20 pews found donors in two weeks.
2-A promise is a promise. Old 16' pews were at the place when I got there in 97, with no center isle. Knew we needed space for fund raising, and once the 92K was raised we would make the church the church, and the kitchen "Emmaus Hall" our new name for our parish hall for coffee socials, seminars, small dinners.
3-Would love to build a hall. Property too small, parish too small, parishioners too old to continue the FF's. Last FF we served 1000 meals in a 28'x40' space!
4-Younger people interested in the church, but cannot come to help at the FF's because of job & family.
5-Someone already asked about the possibility of actually opening up a Slavic Diner! Would be run soley as a business under the auspices of the parish.
6-As a forum member I am uncomfortable with psuedo-named posters "looking" for info on the Byzantine Church, then putting an article about a priest making a "pastoral" decision, and asking everyone to comment. Perhaps, everyone should look for things done by the families of posters so everyone can second guess those decisions. The administrator should rule on this for future posters.
Pastors shepherd their flocks based upon their uniqueness. Like a family, each one is different. Even priests don't second guess other priests' pastoral decisions because they know the burden priests carry on a daily basis. A word to the wise for Catholic men...and women.
Put the collar on, and be a priest for a week, no, how about 6 months. Let alone 25 years this year as in my case. You never loose your idealism, you just get more practical as the years go by.
This is Fr. Michael Sopoliga writing, really!
Put the "P" issue to rest, please?

Fr.Michael
#86345 04/20/04 10:38 PM
John
John
Father Michael makes some excellent points. I�ll let him have the last word in this thread.

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.