The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Bodhi Zaffa, anaxios2022, Lillian, ROCOR man, comehavebreakfast
5,878 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 138 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Byzantine Nebraska
Byzantine Nebraska
by orthodoxsinner2, December 11
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,217
Posts415,274
Members5,878
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Thread Like Summary
FloridaPole
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by searching east
searching east
Have I heard that when certain people convert to the Catholic Church from certain ethnic backgrounds that they are supposed to according to canon law be members of certain rites according to their background? Is this correct or do I misunderstand? Would it apply to a convert who has a Ukrainian or someone with Armenian background? Which nationalities would it cover?

Also I understand that if a couple is married that the man determines the rite of the whole family? So if people from two different rites married they would have to be the rite of the husband? Or what if someone was married to a Catholic but not Catholic themself but wanted to convert to a rite different than her husband could she even do it? If a baptist was married to an Eastern Rite Catholic and she liked the Latin church better for example could she convert to latin rite or would she have to be Eastern Rite and simply go to the church she wanted to when she could?
Liked Replies
by Ghosty
Ghosty
No one quite seems to know how or why this imbalance has occurred.

Alright, I admit it. It was me. I did it. It was all my fault. It started as a little joke to see what I could sneek by the Curia, and it got out of hand when it made it into Canon Law.

Blame me, I'm very sorry. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

wink

Incidently, I'm ethnically Armenian and Irish, Baptized Latin, mother's side is secular (ethnically Armenian, but two generations without the Faith in my particular line), so I'm a true-blue Armenian Latin Catholic with no hoops or anything.

On the other hand, I know a fellow who is two-generations practicing in the Latin Church, but his family is Ukrainian Catholic patrilineally. Wouldn't have even come up as an issue, except he entered the Dominican Order and they did a careful background check and found out that he's "technically" Ukrainian Catholic. The Order went "by the books" and he had to get permission from "his" Ukrainian Catholic Bishop to enter the Order (mind you he had already almost completed his first year of the Novitiate by this point). Long story short, he's now in-line to be a Latin-raised Ukrainian Dominican, bi-ritual and all since he wasn't required to switch Churches in order to enter the Dominican Order, just receive permission from his Ukrainian Bishop.

The upside to all this silliness is that he has a new found appreciation of the Byzantine East, and is bringing it with him into the Dominican Order. I hope to follow in his footsteps some day, God willing!

Peace and God bless!
1 member likes this
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2022 (Forum 1998-2022). All rights reserved.