The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Atomic Parakeet 1, Anna777, HeraclitusTheObscu, Charbelknox, Andreas_Iacobus
5,828 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 72 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Byzantine Nebraska
Byzantine Nebraska
by orthodoxsinner2, December 11
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,136
Posts414,724
Members5,828
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Thread Like Summary
OEFNavyVet
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Administrator
Administrator
I've had numerous requests for this pdf of late. I am not sure why I had not posted this before, except that I suppose I hoped people would write their own letters in their own style. I post it now since it appears that numerous learned people actually believe that the Revised Divine Liturgy restores authentic Eastern praxis, and that is demonstrably false. The RDL is far less Eastern (authentic to official forms in text and rubrics) then was the 1964.

The attached was originally part of a letter to Metropolitan Basil with copies to the other bishops. The response came from Bishop Andrew Pataki of Passaic (now retired) and was a very formal and strangely worded accusation of disobedience for the crime of asking an archbishop to reconsider a decision.

Just to keep things clear I note again that the Liturgy I have asked to make normative for the Ruthenian Church is that given in the the official Ruthenian Recension Liturgical Books published by Rome (beginning with the Liturgicon in 1941/1942). This is the one Rome has repeatedly directed our bishops to use and which they have for all these decades refused to declare normative. In the end, all that we ask of the bishops is to do what Rome has told them to do regarding Liturgy. This should never be confused with the "as celebrated" in some places.

Comments welcome.
Liked Replies
by StuartK
StuartK
Indeed, the Liturgical Instruction ought to be considered a guiding document for all the Eastern Catholic Churches, but I have been told by a number of Ruthenian priests that the Council of Bishops "has not received" a number of guidelines in the instructions, e.g., regarding restoration of Orthros and Vespers, suppression of Saturday vigil liturgies, and, of course, bringing liturgical usage into line with those of the counterpart Orthodox Church.
1 member likes this
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2022 (Forum 1998-2022). All rights reserved.