Members5,845
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Thread Like Summary
byzanTN, LionHippo44, OEFNavyVet, Veronica.H
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by griego catolico
griego catolico
The Synod of Bishops of the UGCC in Ukraine gathered in Zarvanytsia to unite with His Holiness, Pope Francis, in consecrating Russia and Ukraine to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

[video:yahoo]
[/video]
Liked Replies
by Veronica.H
Veronica.H
The Latin parish I have been attending offers Confession before every Mass, but many people wait for the Penitential Service. Because it is *special*.

I usually go by appointment, but wish the lines were longer. Often, I go to church and see the confessional empty.
1 member likes this
by OEFNavyVet
OEFNavyVet
With respect, I thought this consecration occurred decades ago?
1 member likes this
by Orthodox Catholic
Orthodox Catholic
Dear Charles,

You are right on the money - liberalism and secularism go hand in hand. The blind leading the blind into a pit . . .

I will think about the book idea. Rather than doing it for sensationalism, it just might give some peace and calm to others.

Will think it through.

Cheers,Sir!
1 member likes this
by Ruthenian1988
Ruthenian1988
"With all the heavy incense smoke, lovely chanting and beautiful icons - there is a big emptiness where there should be the Gospel of Jesus Christ."

This single sentence was the revelation I have been in such desperate need of having, to dispel my illusions of Eastern Orthodoxy. For years I've struggled, being torn between the Eastern Orthodox Church and our Ruthenian Byzantine Catholic Church. I would always get drawn into the Orthodox side via online interactions. The people were so certain they were the fullness of truth and they'd point out the latinized state of the Eastern Catholic Churches, and I'd find myself having difficulty arguing against their logic. I actually spent a couple months away and tried going back to the Orthodox, despite all my reservations about where they are coming down in the war in Ukraine (this is an Antiochian Church and the Patriarchate of Antioch has vested political and self serving reasons to remain loyal to the MP, regardless of morality).

But spending time with the Orthodox again finally tore the veil that was placed over my eyes. These people were all in for Russia, even buying into all the conspiracy theories (about Ukranian soldiers dressing as Russians and killing Ukranian civilians to spur hatred toward Russia on the global stage). That single perspective alone helped me truly look at the Eastern Orthodox Churches with an objective lens, and not continue to see it as I "wanted" to see it. As they "wanted" me to see it. And I say Eastern Orthodox Church"es", because it's a myth that there's a single Eastern Orthodox "Church". They are as fragmented as Protestantism, always finding political or cultural reasons to rupture from one another and break communal ties. This is the natural consequence of their rejecting the papacy. Without the role of the Pope in Rome to serve the unity of the universal Church, all you end up with is bickering and disunity. This is also why the Orthodox have been adrift and rudderless for the last 1000 years, unable to progress forward with one mind and one body.

The emptiness I felt was not satiated by the Orthodox. It was made more sharp. But by returning to our Byzantine Catholic Church, by going to confession, by receiving our Lord in Holy Communion alongside my family, I now know. I am where God wants me to be. I am at peace, for I have found the Lord God.
1 member likes this
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2022 (Forum 1998-2022). All rights reserved.