The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 330 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,393
Posts416,749
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Thread Like Summary
KostaC, Psalm51, Stefan-Ivan
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by J Michael
J Michael
I just saw this video from Michael Lofton:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPMlQmSYukM&ab_channel=Reason%26Theology

Pray for Fr. Hilarion.
Liked Replies
by J Michael
J Michael
Originally Posted by Hutsul
All of the above contain profound observations. However, this case is especially perplexing in that Fr. Heagy was a priest and monastic- for years. One would think that a trained cleric would be a person who "delved into the heart of Christianity."......wouldn't we?

Equally perplexing is the fact that, by his own admission, he considered himself- for some time- a Muslim while being a priest...... How does the human mind and conscience pull that off?

I don't know, maybe I am just over- perplexed, but there seems to be more going on here than an individual on a spiritual quest......
Pretty much what I was going to say, but you beat me to it!

One thing that occurred to me that I might add is that a number of "modern" elders have bemoaned the shortage of....elders/spiritual fathers in the eastern Churches, especially in English speaking countries. While we would all benefit from having a true elder as a spiritual father/confessor, it seems to me that priests, especially, might be in even greater need of them, even more so, those priests who appear to be deeply spiritually conflicted and troubled. Just my 2-cents' worth.
1 member likes this
by theophan
theophan
Christ is in our midst!!

The Desert Fathers collection that I have has this quote. "Marvell not when you see a person fall to the Enemy's attacks. Rather marvel at one who is able to escape the jaws of the Enemy."
1 member likes this
by Hutsul
Hutsul
Well, here's the thing Alex, My comments were in relation to the topic at hand. Namely,  a fairly known Eastern Catholic priest renounced his Christianity in favor of Islam. That was the post. I did not explore its' far reaching symbolism as you have, and it is to your credit that you see a larger picture.

Of course we are all on spiritual journeys, lay persons and priests too. Those journeys take us down many paths, sometimes prompting our inner GPS to sound the alarm. However, my point was to address what we know of this particular situation. My present take on this particular situation is that it is neither typical, nor does it deserve to be elevated to a symbol of spiritual longing and quest.

Here's why......Our inner struggles, our deep questioning and thirst for  meaning are deeply personal. They are between us, God, and if we are fortunate, a confessor. When they become media events, I begin to wonder. When they are self-orchestrated media events, the caution flag really goes up.

There is history of Social Media involved in this. For me, that taints any spiritual aspects.
1 member likes this
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.