www.byzcath.org
Israeli Holocaust museum honors Byzantine Catholic bishop
Jerusalem, Jan. 29, 2008 (CWNews.com) - The Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial in Jerusalem has accorded the title of "Righteous among the Nations" to Blessed Pavol Gojdic, A Byzantine bishop who served in Slovakia from 1926 to 1960.

The rabbi of Kosice, Slovakia, Jossi Steiner, and a Jewish woman whose life was saved by Bishop Gojdic initiated the process to grant the honorary title to the Catholic prelate, who was beatified by Pope John Paul II (bio - news) in 2001.

The honor granted to Bishop Gojdic, who suffered imprisonment under the Communist regime, has special significance as Jewish people have sometimes accused Catholics in Slovakia of actively assisting the Holocaust.

Wonderful news!
Shlomo Lkhoolkhoon,

Here is some good news.

Poosh BaShlomo Lkhoolkhoon,
Yuhannon

The Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial [cwnews.com] in Jerusalem has accorded the title of "Righteous among the Nations" to Blessed Pavol Gojdic, A Byzantine bishop who served in Slovakia from 1926 to 1960.
Saturday evening was a liturgy at our seminary in Presov, and Fr. Lubomir PETRIK, chancellor of the Eparchy of Presov udes in his homily a story from a letter send to the Eparchy, witnessing acts of Blessed Paul towards Jews.

Letter was sent by one lady, who was twelve at that time, but still remembers, how was she together with her sister accepted to Greek catholic High School and protected there by Blessed Paul, and fact, that when Hlinkova Garda (Slovak fascist organization during WWII) was looking for Jews in Presov, and her father was walking in the streets, Blessed Paul immediately took his hand and thus saved his life, as he was walking with him!!!

Blazennyj otce, mucenicne Pavle, moli Boha o nas!!!
A great man of God and it was my grandfather, Fr. John, who first told me about the stigmata that Bl. Pavel Goyjdicz received while in prison.

Alex
Originally Posted by Orthodox Catholic
A great man of God and it was my grandfather, Fr. John, who first told me about the stigmata that Bl. Pavel Goyjdicz received while in prison.

Alex

Since you are not accepting PM, who was your grandfather, that he knew about this sotry with stigmata....?

Daniel
There is no doubt at all that Blessed Paul deserves this honor.

Nonetheless, there remains the question of why the Zionists have all these decades refused any recognition to the considerable efforts of Metropolitan Andrew, who at great risk to himself saved a serious number of Jews from certain death at the hands of the Nazis. Apparently they cannot bring themselves to acknowledge that the most important and outstanding Ukrainian leader of the 20th century actually rescued Jews from the Holocaust.

But let us rejoice that they have acknowledged Blessed Paul. During World War II the notorious Msgr Tiso abused Bishop Paul shamefully - but this did not stop Bishop Paul from interceding for Tiso when he was sentenced to death for war crimes.

Fr. Serge
Dear Danielik (you are a Priest?),

My grandfather was a priest under the communists until he was released to the West in 1966 with my grandmother, Irene and the stigmata of Bl. Pavel were, according to him, talked about everywhere. My grandfather also spent time in Slovakia and in Hungary.

Bl. Pavel's picture was always together with the new martyrs of the Ukrainian Catholic Church (as was that of Bl. Theodore Romzha) so I always considered him to be Ukrainian! smile

When I was reading a book about Bl. Pavel and his picture appeared, my grandfather stopped me and said, "That holy one bled from the hands and feet in prison . . ."

It was a blessing to me to have my grandparents and to receive the witness of their piety and life experience.

Alex
Bless, Father Archimandrite,

What is even more important is why Rome has steadfastly refused to beatify Metropolitan Andrew . . .

Alex
Dear Danielik (you are a Priest?),

My grandfather was a priest under the communists until he was released to the West in 1966 with my grandmother, Irene and the stigmata of Bl. Pavel were, according to him, talked about everywhere. My grandfather also spent time in Slovakia and in Hungary.

Bl. Pavel's picture was always together with the new martyrs of the Ukrainian Catholic Church (as was that of Bl. Theodore Romzha) so I always considered him to be Ukrainian! smile

When I was reading a book about Bl. Pavel and his picture appeared, my grandfather stopped me and said, "That holy one bled from the hands and feet in prison . . ."

It was a blessing to me to have my grandparents and to receive the witness of their piety and life experience.

Alex

Dear Orthodox - Catholic

I am not a priest yet, although I am in my last year of studies at Presov Seminary (Dedicated to the Blessed Bishop Paul Peter Gojdich).

Bishop Gojdich considered himself Rusyn. Bishop Hopko felt Ukrainian. But, they are interceding for all of us. We can be sure... smile

Have you heard about the book by Fr. Amrian POTAS, OSBM? Dar Lasky (Slovak) Zitja vyddane Bohovi (Ukrainian)...
Dear Danielik,

No, I haven't - I will search for it though!

"Dar Lasky?" Sounds Ukrainian to me! smile

God bless you and strengthen you to complete your studies and inspire you for your work in Christ's Vineyard!

Alex
There was also an English excerpt frm the slovak book "Dar Lasky" - I know, that Basilian sisters sent some of them to Pittsburg, I will try to find out, if it is still available

Thank you for the prayers, without them is my future priesthood impossible...

Daniel
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
There is no doubt at all that Blessed Paul deserves this honor.

Nonetheless, there remains the question of why the Zionists have all these decades refused any recognition to the considerable efforts of Metropolitan Andrew, who at great risk to himself saved a serious number of Jews from certain death at the hands of the Nazis. Apparently they cannot bring themselves to acknowledge that the most important and outstanding Ukrainian leader of the 20th century actually rescued Jews from the Holocaust.

But let us rejoice that they have acknowledged Blessed Paul. During World War II the notorious Msgr Tiso abused Bishop Paul shamefully - but this did not stop Bishop Paul from interceding for Tiso when he was sentenced to death for war crimes.

Fr. Serge

Father, Bless!

Indeed, it is disappointing that Metropolitan Andrew is not recognized. I have heard it is because when the German Army first came into Ukraine, the Ukrainians considered it a liberation from the Soviets, and Metropolitan Andrew greeted them. But then, so did Jewish people. People did not anticipate the terrible atrocity that would come. Metropolitan Andrew afterwards heroically did much to save the Jews.

Blessings,

Lance

A Byzantine Christian in a Postmodern World [byzantinechristian.blogspot.com]
Bless, Father Archimandrite,

What is even more important is why Rome has steadfastly refused to beatify Metropolitan Andrew . . .

Alex

Alex, what about this from the website of the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Winnipeg:

Prayer for the Canonization of the Servant of God, Metropolitan Andrew Sheptytsky

At present, proceedings for glorification in the community of Saints are taking place in Rome. To procure this blessing of God for our Church and nation, our entire community must understand the power and meaning of supplications, fervent prayers, virtuous life, good deeds and sacrifices for the attainment of this objective...

Dear Anna,

Yes, that is wonderful.

However, you will forgive me if my attitude remains, "I'll believe it when I see it."

Alex
Is it true that Andrew Sheptytsky converted to Orthodoxy before he died? If so, how does Rome look upon this?
Dear Anna,

Met. Andrew Sheptytsky did not convert to Orthodoxy before he died.

In fact, he urged his flock to always remain faithful etc.

Have a great day!

Alex
Do not give up hope, my friend. smile

Here is a quote from Pope John Paul the Great's homily during the beatification of the Ukrainian martyrs in 2001:

How can we fail to recall the far-sighted and solid pastoral activity of the Servant of God, Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytskyi, whose cause of Beatification is proceeding and whom we hope to see one day in the glory of the Saints? We must refer to his heroic apostolic activity if we are to understand the humanly inexplicable fruitfulness of the Greek-Catholic Church of Ukraine during the dark years of persecution.

Also...

Ukrainian Greek Catholic Postulator Comments on Beatification Process of Sheptytsky
26.09.2006, [18:16] // UGCC //

Kyiv � The recent session of the Synod of Bishops of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church (UGCC) reported that the beatification process for Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky, head of the UGCC from 1901 to 1944, is moving forward in Rome. Fr. Roman Terekhovskyi of the UGCC�s Postulation Center, the vice-postulator for Metropolitan Sheptytsky�s cause, commented. ugcc.org.ua posted the news on 25 September 2006.

As the recent UGCC Synod of Bishops reported, Sheptytsky�s cause has gone to the Vatican�s Theological Commission. UGCC Bishop Michael Hrynchyshyn, head of the synod�s Committee on Beatification and Canonization, said that this is a great step towards beatifying Metropolitan Sheptytsky.

�The fact that the beatification cause of Servant of God Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky was recently passed for further work to the special Theological Commission of the Congregation for the Causes of Saints in Rome formally means that, after appropriate positive assessment of the status of the historical credibility and authenticity of the documentary materials gathered during the long-lasting beatification process (on the basis of archival documents and eyewitness testimonies), the cause itself has passed to the competency of those holding governing positions in the Roman Congregation for the Causes of Saints, who should in an appropropiate way assess also the quality of the facts gathered in this cause,� said Fr. Terekhovskyi. �This will be done so that official conclusions can with certainty be made regarding the correspondence of the facts introduced from the life and activities of Servant of God Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytsky by the objective criteria of the official acknowledge of extraordinary heroism in the virtues practiced by him.�

According to Fr. Terekhovskyi, after the commission confirms the fact of the metropolitan�s heroic virtues (de heroicitate virtutibus) throughout his life, his faith and service to God and neighbor, his official status will be designated �venerable,� which will make possible his recognition as a �blessed� of the Catholic Church.

Fr. Terekhovskyi added that a documented miraculous healing performed through the metropolitan�s intercession will then allow his beatification.

The beatification process for the metropolitan began in 1958.
I would not dream of giving up hope - we may yet see a miraculous glorification overcome the politicians, secular and ecclesiastical.

But that will still leave the matter of the Zionists refusing the recognize documented facts when they find those facts inconvenient.

Fr. Serge
http://www.infoukes.com/lists/announce/1997/11/0000.html
In fact, in Toronto, every church and even institution has an icon of St Andrew Sheptytsky (except, interestingly enough, the only Basilian parish we have up here).

No other Blessed New Martyr has the cultus that he enjoys among the people here, one can get an icon of him in any Ukie store, people pray to him and the like.

This may be an example of a spontaneous canonization. When Rome decides to formally ratify his sainthood, it will not change much in the consciousness of the people here.

And if one goes to the website of the UGCC Metropolitan in Winnipeg, Canada, there is a nice Akathist to St Andrew Sheptytsky there! smile

Alex
The Winter 2008 newsletter of the Ukrainian Catholic Education Fund has an article on Metropolitan Sheptytsky's work in saving Jews during WWII. (The newsletter will be posted on their website: http://www.ucef.org/publications.htm ).

The article ends with the following quote from the International Catholic-Jewish Historical Commission:

"No other high-ranking Catholic churchman, to the best of our knowledge, provided such direct eye-witness testimony and expressed concern for Jews qua Jews (and as primaty targets for German bestiality) in the same way."

A recent article [risu.org.ua] posted on the Religious Information Service of Ukraine website:

Archbishop Assures Lviv Citizens of Impending Beatification
19.03.2008, [18:53] // UGCC //

Lviv� On 19 March 2008, The Ukrainian Catholic University held a press conference in Lviv in which Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church Archbishop Ihor Vozniak assured the public that the beatification of Metropolitan Andrey Sheptytskyi is approaching finalization. The archbishop disclosed that during the recent visit of UGCC bishops to the Vatican, representatives of the Congregation for Beatification informed them that the metropolitan�s beatification is virtually complete and requires only prayers.

However, Oksana Haiova, head of Religious Studies at the Lviv Central State Historical Archives, disavowed the idea that the factors influencing beatification are solely spiritual. In this light, she stressed the importance of the Lviv Gazette�s �Send a letter to the Pope� initiative in promoting active public interest to attracting attention to the metropolitan. At the same time, she assured the public that the Apostolic See does �not question [Sheptytski�s] sainthood.�
© The Byzantine Forum