www.byzcath.org

http://www.ewtn.com/vnews/getstory.asp?number=94008

God bless Bishop Martino !
Haven't been to Scranton in at least twenty years, but I'll keep it in mind, especially if I should take up public sinning as a way of life. But it occurs to me that the Polish National Catholic Cathedral is located in a convenient place and probably offers Mass in English.

Fr. Serge
Really bad idea.
The Episcopal Church welcomes you!
I am glad that this bishop has taken a stand on the issue.
It actually reminds me of this.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/4196399/Pastoral-Letter-Iraq-War
Good for Bishop Martino! It is time bishops remind people who do not actually hold the Catholic Faith that they should not take Communion.

This is not like the Romanian Bishop's letter on the war. He was clearly in the wrong. The war in Iraq was and is just. Even the Vatican acknowledged this while also saying that all war was a failure.
Originally Posted by Helen PR
Good for Bishop Martino! It is time bishops remind people who do not actually hold the Catholic Faith that they should not take Communion.

This is not like the Romanian Bishop's letter on the war. He was clearly in the wrong. The war in Iraq was and is just. Even the Vatican acknowledged this while also saying that all war was a failure.

I agree that the matter of abortion cannot rightly be compared to the war in Iraq. That abortion is wrong is not debatable for Catholics. However, the statement that the war in Iraq was and is just-well that's your opinion, and one that I don't share.
What about politicians (or anybody I guess whose stance becomes publicly known) who support capital punishment? No communion?

Adultery? No communion?

Divorced but no annullment and re-married? No communion?

Children out of wedlock? No communion?

"Divorced but no annullment and re-married? No communion?"

That's how it is in my parish, yes.

Alexis
Originally Posted by anamchristi
The Episcopal Church welcomes you!

No, secular humanism or Buddhism welcomes me.

No, not literally. I'm fool enough to stick with the Church. Many, however, just quit. The number is now 16% of the American population that is unaffiliated with *any* religion (according to the Pew Center study in 2008).

Nevertheless, it *disgusts* me how Christians like to excommunicate each other over "love" and "the prince of peace" and their standards of what makes a good Christian. If there is any place that should welcome sinners fully, it should be the Church. Yet, so often, that welcome is there the least.

Don't worry, though, all you good excommunicating Christians. With weekly Mass attendance down to 31% in the Latin rite in the U.S. (according to the CARA study in 2008), and with catastrophic demographics in the Eastern Rites, you are excommunicating each other quite effectively: in practice, if not always officially. The multi-jurisdictional mess in Orthodoxland is, perhaps, indicative --and causal?-- of a similar phenomenon. The result in the end will be tiny churches of people just like yourselves. God help you.

-- John

John:

It seems to me that there are some who seem to delight when the Church excommunicates someone, and this does disgust me. But are you suggesting that excommunication should never be used? I think excommunication should never be a cause for anything other than prayer for the salvation of the one who is excommunicated, but I do believe that excommunication has a scriptural foundation and in some cases is necessary for the following reasons: the spiritual welfare of the one who has fallen into an extrememly sinful state, to prevent the profanation of the body and blood of Christ, and to prevent serious scandal.

Ryan
I have a friend who lives in NEPA and is technically under Bishop Martino. He left his Roman Catholic parish and now attends a Greek Catholic parish in the area. He has told me on numerous occasions how low the morale is in that diocese and the discontent from both clergy and laity with this bishop.

Things aren't always what they seem.
John K, I would assume because of things such as this:

http://www.thetimes-tribune.com/art...22.a.pg1.tt22martino_s1.2031807_top4.txt

I agree that the matter of abortion cannot rightly be compared to the war in Iraq.

Not according to Bishop Botean.
John
I dont know where youre talking about but in our diocese the Churches are overflowing and have way too many Masses as is.
We have 10 Masses a weekend all full, we have two daily Masses where attndance excedes sometimes even 300 and normally ranges between 1 and 2 hundred.
So be a little more specific as to "where" Mass attendance is down.
Stephanos I
PS Now if we could get the collection up like that to reflect the numbers :)we could put the new roof on the Church and keep them dry.
Are any of them public sinners?
One statement of Bishop Martino's disturbed me somewhat:
Those whose unworthiness to receive Holy Communion is known publicly to the Church must be refused Holy Communion in order to prevent sacrilege and to prevent the Catholic in question from committing further grave sin through unworthy reception.
The problem with these reasons is that neither one is the principal reason for denying someone Communion, which is to prevent the grave scandal of presenting a clear moral teaching on the one hand, and then showing everyone what hypocrites we are when we act as though that teaching only applied to the rank and file and could be freely dispensed with by the elite.

(Hypocrisy--ever notice that no other sin came anywhere near evoking such strong language from Our Lord in its condemnation?)

In addition, I feel that a distinction should always be made between a politician who merely votes in favor of a bill (and may have other reasons for doing so), and one who declares himself/herself strongly in favor of abortion "rights."

Another item that needs to be mentioned here is Bishop Martino's repeated use of the term "unworthy"--as if the rest of us were all "worthy!" This is a poor line of reasoning and should not be used.

Peace,
Deacon Richard
Nobody is worthy.
I know Bishop Joseph quite well. He was involved in my formation at St. Charles Seminary in the RC Archdiocese of Philadelphia (my Eparchy did not have it's own program of formation at the time). He is orthodox. His thrust has been to try and stop the nonsense of pro-death "Catholic" politicians pretending to be members in good standing while, at the same time voting to allow the murder of the innocent. He, in refusing to distribute Holy Communion to pro-death politicians (who, after being counseled and refusing that counsel, are "public sinners"), is being obedient to Canon Law. This is crucial in NEPA, where the tendency has been to vote for Democrats at all cost, even if they are on a moral plane with the likes of Genghis Khan, Josef Stalin, or Jack the Ripper. Another thrust of his is to push "Catholic" institutions of higher learning to "fish or cut bait" on the issue of "Catholic identity". He's currently doing battle with the Sisters of Mercy, who own and operate Miserecordia College, a local institution which has made a practice of featuring pro-abortion and pro-gay agenda speakers at "diversity" events. These nuns are a poison in the church, and have been that for quite some time. The reader will recall that it was a Mercy nun who made a public protest against Pope John Paul II when he first visited the U.S. They are into "womanpriest" and a host of other modernist causes. I support what Bishop Joseph has been doing in this area 1000%.

Dn. Robert
Originally Posted by AMM
What about politicians (or anybody I guess whose stance becomes publicly known) who support capital punishment? No communion?

Adultery? No communion?

Divorced but no annullment and re-married? No communion?

Children out of wedlock? No communion?

(1.) The Catechism of the Catholic Church acknowledges the right of the State to use capital punishment, for the protection of society, but presently counsels governments not to do so if other means of protecting society can be found. This is a "prudential judgement" of the Magisterium. One can disagree, with this prudential judgement, and uphold the right of the State to use capital punishment, and still be in the good graces of the Church. But, Direct Abortion is always intrinsically evil, and can never be justified.

(2.) As to those other situations, if a person has been pastorally counseled, and continues to commit these sins publicly, then Canon Law (both Roman and Eastern Catholic) insists that he/she not be given Holy Communion.

Bishop Joseph is correct, and is merely doing his job. More Bishops need to do likewise.

Dn. Robert
I would say for the sake of consistency there should be a crackdown on all of the above then.
Deacon Robert summarizes Catholic Teaching quite well. Bishop Martino is simply proclaiming the Catholic Faith and applying the prescriptions given in the canons.

No one rejoices in the fact that a politican - or any other Catholic - should engage in actions that exclude himself from partaking of the Eucharist. Indeed, I morn for such people and pray for them.

It is, however, very good to see a bishop stopping politicians from using the Eucharist as a political tool. Sadly, many politicians use the Eucharist as a political tool. They reject the Catholic Faith on life issues, publicly take Communion, and try to use the photo-op to say to voters (and the world) that you can vote to keep killing babies in the womb and be a good Catholic. I will note that the Church has clearly rejected the idea that there are other issues (even added together) that would comprise a moral good that would allow voting for a moral intrinsic evil (like abortion).

I also support Bishop Joseph 100% and will pray for him.

John
They reject the Catholic Faith on life issues, publicly take Communion, and try to use the photo-op to say to voters (and the world) that you can vote to keep killing babies in the womb and be a good Catholic.

Do you really think that's what the politicians are saying?

What about politicians who support funding initiatives that advocate contraception? Should they be refused communion? What if it came to light that there were any lay Catholics using contraceptives? Refuse them communion?

I would also have to assume that since Bishop Botean said the following

direct participation and support of this war against the people of Iraq is objectively grave evil, a matter of mortal sin

That anyone who falls in to that category would also be denied communion.
Originally Posted by AMM
Do you really think that's what the politicians are saying?
There is certainly abundant evidence that many politicians do just that. Speaker of the House Nancy Pilosi has quite clearly and openly stated that she can be a Catholic in good standing while supporting abortion and even promoting it (through legislation that enables it and pays for it using taxpayer dollars). There are numerous others who have done the same (the two senators from Massachusetts and the former New York Mayor are other prominent examples).

Originally Posted by AMM
What about politicians who support funding initiatives that advocate contraception? Should they be refused communion?
Yes. This should be obvious.

Originally Posted by AMM
What if it came to light that there were any lay Catholics using contraceptives? Refuse them communion?
Yes. This also should be obvious. It is generally listed in the self-examination guidelines to prepare for Confession and Eucharist.

A pastoral response to a politician who is working against Catholic values in the legislative arena is going to take a different form than that of an individual couple. In the case under discussion, Bishop Joseph has already attempted to speak privately with politicians. He has also contacted educational institutions with types of pastoral letter remaining them that their obligation to live and promote Catholic values caries into all parts of their lives. It is they who have continually rejected his pastoral counsel, and they who are responsible for him needing to publicly remind them of the penalties they incur on themselves. A Catholic bishop certainly has the right and obligation to insist that those who do not hold the Catholic Faith should not approach to partake of the Eucharist.

Originally Posted by AMM
I would also have to assume that since Bishop Botean said the following
direct participation and support of this war against the people of Iraq is objectively grave evil, a matter of mortal sin
That anyone who falls in to that category would also be denied communion.
Bishop Botean certainly deserves respect. On the matter of the war to liberate the Iraqi he is mistaken. The war was not against the people of Iraq. It was to liberate them by removing a dictator. The Vatican has acknowledged that the war can legitimately be seen as meeting the Just War theory and that support for it not a grave evil, nor a matter of mortal sin. The Vatican does make clear that all war is a failure to keep peace and that all war should be avoided (which is obvious). In April, in his speech to the United Nations, Pope Benedict XVI acknowledged the justness of the war (without supporting the war) by noting that the international community has an obligation to intervene when a country defaults on its duty to protect its citizens. This is perfectly logical since even Just Wars are a failure and should not be fought(if possible). The Holy Father did not place blame for the war upon the United States but, rather, spoke of how “the world’s problems call for interventions in the form of collective action by the international community.” He did not offer specifics but it was pretty clear that the larger burden was place upon the international community (and specifically the United Nations) to have resolved the issues peacefully before military intervention was deemed necessary.

To continue to present one bishop’s perspective as if it outranked the Vatican’s official position is not really a wise tactic.

I will add that I agree with AMM there should be more consistency in reminding people of the penalties they incur when they reject Catholic Teaching. Had the bishops done so from the start these questions would not need discussing since everyone would be aware of the proper application of remedial measures.

Archbishop Chaput of Denver spoke clearly about this issue last week:
Every new election cycle I hear from unhappy, self-described Catholics who complain that abortion is too much of a litmus test. But isn’t that exactly what it should be? One of the defining things that set early Christians apart from the pagan culture around them was their respect for human life; and specifically their rejection of abortion and infanticide. We can’t be Catholic and be evasive or indulgent about the killing of unborn life. We can’t claim to be “Catholic” and “pro-choice” at the same time without owning the responsibility for where the choice leads – to a dead unborn child. We can’t talk piously about programs to reduce the abortion body count without also working vigorously to change the laws that make the killing possible. If we’re Catholic, then we believe in the sanctity of developing human life. And if we don’t really believe in the humanity of the unborn child from the moment life begins, then we should stop lying to ourselves and others, and even to God, by claiming we’re something we’re not.
To continue to present one bishop’s perspective as if it outranked the Vatican’s official position is not really a wise tactic.

So his encyclical is actually mistaken and he misled his flock in to thinking support for or participation in the war is a mortal sin? Isn't that incredibly dangerous?

Is anyone who voted for the Democrats this year guilty of a mortal sin? Should communion be withheld from everyone who did?
Originally Posted by AMM
So his encyclical is actually mistaken and he misled his flock in to thinking support for or participation in the war is a mortal sin? Isn't that incredibly dangerous?
I agree that bishops must take great care in presenting Catholic Teaching.

Originally Posted by AMM
Is anyone who voted for the Democrats this year guilty of a mortal sin?
There are both pro-life and pro-abortion candidates and politicians in the various parties competing for our votes. The individual voter has a responsibility to first elect officials who are pro-life. To vote for a pro-abortion candidate when there is a pro-life candidate available is indeed a moral failure.

Originally Posted by AMM
Should communion be withheld from everyone who did?
If I might amend your statement to include not just pro-abortion Democrats but also pro-abortion Republicans (and pro-abortion candidates of all parties) the answer is “yes”. Those who use their vote to work against Catholic values should not take communion until they examine their conscience and reform their lives.

But why isn’t this obvious?

If we are Catholic and Orthodox then we believe in the sanctity of human life. If we believe in the sanctity of human life we must support it 24/7/365, and especially with our vote. If we do not support respect for human life with our vote and instead place human life down the list after some preferred cause then are we really Catholic? Or Orthodox? Do we respect human life or don’t we?

Let me quote Archbishop Chaput more tightly:
One of the defining things that set early Christians apart from the pagan culture around them was their respect for human life; and specifically their rejection of abortion and infanticide. We can’t be Catholic and be evasive or indulgent about the killing of unborn life.
I agree that bishops must take great care in presenting Catholic Teaching.

So did Bishop Botean tell his flock that something is a mortal sin when it wasn't? Isn't that a pretty big deal?

Those who use their vote to work against Catholic values should not take communion until they examine their conscience and reform their lives.

Based on the various stances of both major parties, and the ways that participation in public life (as a politician or regular citizen) could inevitably lead to violation of Catholic values either through direct participation or support, how many people do you think are fit for communion at this time?

Originally Posted by AMM
So did Bishop Botean tell his flock that something is a mortal sin when it wasn't? Isn't that a pretty big deal?
I don’t know if it is a pretty big deal. It is my opinion that it was certainly a lost opportunity. I have been told that Bishop John Michael has since noted that he would have chosen his words differently, but I have not seen that in writing so I don’t know if he would have said the same thing differently or something rather different if he had to do it all over again. You might contact him to ask him about the issue.

Originally Posted by AMM
Based on the various stances of both major parties, and the ways that participation in public life (as a politician or regular citizen) could inevitably lead to violation of Catholic values either through direct participation or support, how many people do you think are fit for communion at this time?
I have no idea. I do not think it is a numbers game.

I know that I seldom am fit to partake of the Eucharist. I am not surprised that there are others who keep falling down in sin, too.

Archbishop Chaput again:
We have the duty to change bad laws and resist grave evil in our public life, both by our words and our non-violent actions. The truest respect we can show to civil authority is the witness of our Catholic faith and our moral convictions, without excuses or apologies.
Administrator,
Thank you for your clear insight on the Catholic moral position.
You are right.
And I for one would have taken a stand against Bishop Botean.
He was clearly in the wrong and overstepping his authority. You are right, war can be justified when it is declared to liberate a people from tyrany, as was clear in the case of Sadam Hussein, whether or not he had weapons of mass distruction.
Stephanos I
I don’t know if it is a pretty big deal.

If my bishop started telling people something was a mortal sin, i.e. their souls were in peril of being eternally lost, and it turns out it was just something he made up on his own; I would consider it a fairly big deal. I for one would not trust his judgment or leadership.

I do not think it is a numbers game.

I would guess that if you look at what both major parties do and stand for, you can find a slew of things (and big things) that directly violate Catholic principles. If our ability to receive communion is based on our participation in politics or public life, nobody should be receiving communion ever.
Originally Posted by Administrator
Deacon Robert summarizes Catholic Teaching quite well. Bishop Martino is simply proclaiming the Catholic Faith and applying the prescriptions given in the canons.

No one rejoices in the fact that a politican - or any other Catholic - should engage in actions that exclude himself from partaking of the Eucharist. Indeed, I morn for such people and pray for them.

It is, however, very good to see a bishop stopping politicians from using the Eucharist as a political tool. Sadly, many politicians use the Eucharist as a political tool. They reject the Catholic Faith on life issues, publicly take Communion, and try to use the photo-op to say to voters (and the world) that you can vote to keep killing babies in the womb and be a good Catholic. I will note that the Church has clearly rejected the idea that there are other issues (even added together) that would comprise a moral good that would allow voting for a moral intrinsic evil (like abortion).

John

Unfortunately, the bishops seem to only target supposed pro-abortion politicians while no one else gets the same finger pointed at them. What about divorced and invalidly remarried people, people co-habitating outside of marriage, people who attend maybe twice yearly, and who still go to communion? I know some, I've seen them take communion. These politicians are the only unrepentant, notorious sinners that need public chastisement?
Originally Posted by AMM
I don’t know if it is a pretty big deal.

If my bishop started telling people something was a mortal sin, i.e. their souls were in peril of being eternally lost, and it turns out it was just something he made up on his own; I would consider it a fairly big deal. I for one would not trust his judgment or leadership.

I do not think it is a numbers game.

I would guess that if you look at what both major parties do and stand for, you can find a slew of things (and big things) that directly violate Catholic principles. If our ability to receive communion is based on our participation in politics or public life, nobody should be receiving communion ever.

How are any of the things you are complaining about any different than an Orthodox priest refusing Holy Communion for anyone he feels is unworthy. From what I have read here at Byzcath for the last 3.5 years this happens all the time. "Father refuses Communion if he smells cigarettes on your breath... Father refuses Communion if he doesn't know who you are... etc..."

This is what the priest is supposed to do. He is to protect the Eucharist from profanation and the laity from committing sins.

Therefore whosoever shall eat this bread, or drink the chalice of the Lord unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and of the blood of the Lord. But let a man prove himself: and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of the chalice. For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh judgment to himself, not discerning the body of the Lord. Therefore are there many infirm and weak among you, and many sleep.
1 Corinthians 11:27-30
Originally Posted by John K
Originally Posted by Administrator

John

Unfortunately, the bishops seem to only target supposed pro-abortion politicians while no one else gets the same finger pointed at them. What about divorced and invalidly remarried people, people co-habitating outside of marriage, people who attend maybe twice yearly, and who still go to communion? I know some, I've seen them take communion. These politicians are the only unrepentant, notorious sinners that need public chastisement?

I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but folks around here who are divorced and invalidly remarried do not show up for Communion. Many have even stopped going to Church because they know that they are in the wrong. (Unfortunately...)
I think this thread is fast nearing the end of its useful life. This is Great Lent where we are admonished by our common Father among the Saints, John Chrysostom, to avoid "eating the flesh of the brethren" even as we fast from fleshmeats. We may disagree on this action and we may disagree what the criteria are for the prohibition of Holy Communion to any person for whatever the reason.

But this is Great Lent when our common reason for the season is self-examination, not arguing over the actions of others. In a perfect world this would not come up. The fact that it is so broken is the reason we need this season of penance.

In Christ,

BOB
Bob,

Well said. I do feel that I must say however that if Catholic teaching and practice were really carried out consistently, then almost no one would be able to receive communion. That more than 95% of Catholic couples practice contraception means that at the maximum, no more than 5% of any given parish should be receiving communion. Also, given the fact that well over 95% of all Christians fail to live up to at least one or more non-negotiable moral/political teachings of the Catholic Church suggests some very bad news for us all. Indeed, it is very clear that Rome thinks that the natural law and reason alone are sufficient to show that things like contraception are grave perversions. Since this should be self evident to anyone of good will and average intelligence, it shows the depth of depravity that has overtaken even most devout Christians.

Frankly, it saddens me. Where is grace? Where is humility? Where is the recognition that life is complicated and that while it is important to strive for justice in matters of politics, there is a real distinction between the political sphere and the moral sphere?

I thank God that my spiritual fathers and my Church does not issue such ultimatums and absolute demands. Indeed, the Church has never done this. As adamantly opposed to abortion as the early Church was, it was also true that abortion was not uniformly outlawed and I see no evidence that the fathers of the Church pushed for extensive civil penalties. Should communion have been denied to the Church fathers and to the byzantine emperors? Should Thomas Aquinas have been denied communion for suggesting that it was imprudent to make prostitution illegal? (If people can be denied communion for supporting the legalization of contraception, why not those who support the legalization of prostitution or the legalization of drugs?) Perhaps Francis of Assisi and Bernard of Clairveax should have been denied communion for preaching the crusade? Thomas Aquinas held that the state had the right and obligation to murder "heretics." Ineed, one can look at Lyons (I think Lyons II?) and see how the Western Church officially sanctioned murder as well as the ghetto-izing of the Jews.

I think perhaps we just should stop serving communion altogether.

Okay, I'm done with this rant and I apologize. I've already broken my Lenten resolution at least twice or more. I think I need to take a break.

Joe
I offer this only in the interest of shedding light, not heat, on this subject.

These Vatican Directives may clarify the Church's position on these matters relative to couples in this situation:
Vatican Directives on the Distribution of Communion - Divorce and Remarriage [vatican.va]

Here is a quotation from Pope John Paul II of blessed memory on the proper pastoral response:
Familiaris Consortio [vatican.va]

Divorced Persons Who Have Remarried

84. Daily experience unfortunately shows that people who have obtained a divorce usually intend to enter into a new union, obviously not with a Catholic religious ceremony. Since this is an evil that, like the others, is affecting more and more Catholics as well, the problem must be faced with resolution and without delay. The Synod Fathers studied it expressly. The Church, which was set up to lead to salvation all people and especially the baptized, cannot abandon to their own devices those who have been previously bound by sacramental marriage and who have attempted a second marriage. The Church will therefore make untiring efforts to put at their disposal her means of salvation.

Pastors must know that, for the sake of truth, they are obliged to exercise careful discernment of situations. There is in fact a difference between those who have sincerely tried to save their first marriage and have been unjustly abandoned, and those who through their own grave fault have destroyed a canonically valid marriage. Finally, there are those who have entered into a second union for the sake of the children's upbringing, and who are sometimes subjectively certain in conscience that their previous and irreparably destroyed marriage had never been valid.

Together with the Synod, I earnestly call upon pastors and the whole community of the faithful to help the divorced, and with solicitous care to make sure that they do not consider themselves as separated from the Church, for as baptized persons they can, and indeed must, share in her life. They should be encouraged to listen to the word of God, to attend the Sacrifice of the Mass, to persevere in prayer, to contribute to works of charity and to community efforts in favor of justice, to bring up their children in the Christian faith, to cultivate the spirit and practice of penance and thus implore, day by day, God's grace. Let the Church pray for them, encourage them and show herself a merciful mother, and thus sustain them in faith and hope.

However, the Church reaffirms her practice, which is based upon Sacred Scripture, of not admitting to Eucharistic Communion divorced persons who have remarried. They are unable to be admitted thereto from the fact that their state and condition of life objectively contradict that union of love between Christ and the Church which is signified and effected by the Eucharist. Besides this, there is another special pastoral reason: if these people were admitted to the Eucharist, the faithful would be led into error and confusion regarding the Church's teaching about the indissolubility of marriage.

Reconciliation in the sacrament of Penance which would open the way to the Eucharist, can only be granted to those who, repenting of having broken the sign of the Covenant and of fidelity to Christ, are sincerely ready to undertake a way of life that is no longer in contradiction to the indissolubility of marriage. This means, in practice, that when, for serious reasons, such as for example the children's upbringing, a man and a woman cannot satisfy the obligation to separate, they "take on themselves the duty to live in complete continence, that is, by abstinence from the acts proper to married couples."(180)

Similarly, the respect due to the sacrament of Matrimony, to the couples themselves and their families, and also to the community of the faithful, forbids any pastor, for whatever reason or pretext even of a pastoral nature, to perform ceremonies of any kind for divorced people who remarry. Such ceremonies would give the impression of the celebration of a new sacramentally valid marriage, and would thus lead people into error concerning the indissolubility of a validly contracted marriage.

By acting in this way, the Church professes her own fidelity to Christ and to His truth. At the same time she shows motherly concern for these children of hers, especially those who, through no fault of their own, have been abandoned by their legitimate partner.

With firm confidence she believes that those who have rejected the Lord's command and are still living in this state will be able to obtain from God the grace of conversion and salvation, provided that they have persevered in prayer, penance and charity.

Originally Posted by JSMelkiteOrthodoxy
Bob,

Well said. I do feel that I must say however that if Catholic teaching and practice were really carried out consistently, then almost no one would be able to receive communion. That more than 95% of Catholic couples practice contraception means that at the maximum, no more than 5% of any given parish should be receiving communion.

Pontifical Council for the Family's Response to Issues of Conjugal Chastity and Confession
Some Guidelines for Confessors [vatican.va]

And by the way. I don't want to generate any more heat so I'll refrain from posting on this in the future.
Originally Posted by AMM
You seem to be in agreement with Archbishop Chaput here (and I’m quoting from the same source as above):

The Church in the United States has done a poor job of forming the faith and conscience of Catholics for more than 40 years. And now we’re harvesting the results-- in the public square, in our families and in the confusion of our personal lives. I could name many good people and programs that seem to disprove what I just said. But I could name many more that do prove it, and some of them work in Washington.

The problem with mistakes in our past is that they compound themselves geometrically into the future unless we face them and fix them. The truth is, the American electorate is changing, both ethnically and in age. And unless Catholics have a conversion of heart that helps us see what we’ve become -- that we haven’t just “assimilated” to American culture, but that we’ve also been absorbed and bleached and digested by it – then we’ll fail in our duties to a new generation and a new electorate. And a real Catholic presence in American life will continue to weaken and disappear.
Your comment makes me think of the statements from the Catholic bishops (then the NAB now the USCCB) during the 1980s that presented America as evil and the Soviet Union as peace-loving, all while our own people – Orthodox, Greek Catholic, Roman Catholic and others – were being jailed and even put to death for their faith in Christ. At best they spoke clumsily and it was a lost opportunity to teach orthodoxy. At worst they aided the enemy.

Originally Posted by AMM
So your reasoning here is that failure to follow Christ in our public lives should not be an obstacle to partaking of the Eucharist? Sorry, but that is not correct. Even if 99.9% of Catholics were united in rejecting a Catholic moral teaching (like those on abortion or artificial contraception) the Church would not change her teachings, and such people should refrain from approaching the Chalice.

The Church does provide a specific order. Life issues come first and outrank all other issues. This is not difficult to understand or to follow.

Although Bob has asked to close this thread I will leave it open at the moment. I will ask that further discussions be limited to the topic title and that discussions of some of these new topics be continued in new threads.

Also to answer a question about contraception, people who contracept are doing so privately (I hope.)
Originally Posted by John K
John,

In most parishes, there are far too many people to keep track of everybody, and what is or is not their marital status, how often they attend Sunday Mass, etc. In other words, what would surely have been a public sin in times past (or still would be, in a simpler environment, such as a small town or a close-knit neighborhood), really isn't very public.

However, all this changes when the individual in question is "in the public eye," which makes certain details of his or her life a matter of common knowledge. This certainly includes--although it is not limited to--politicians.

Furthermore, there is an important reason for singling out politicians in particular, which is the fact that the very nature of their job requires them to be constantly looking to garner the support of as many people as possible. For a Catholic politician, this usually means trying to persuade the Catholic voters that he is 100% Catholic, while at the same time persuading non-Catholic voters (and colleagues) that his Catholic identity is really rather unimportant.

So it is very much in the interest of Catholic voters not to be manipulated in this fashion, and the responsibility of the bishops and priests to see to it that they aren't.

Peace,
Deacon Richard

The emphasis here really needs to be on the word Public. For the vast majority of those receiving communion, priests will have no way of knowing if they are in a state of grace or not. The best they can do then, and I know of some who do, is to continually emphasize the importance of frequent confession.
It is my opinion that the most charitable thing to do for a public, unrepentant sinner is to deny him Holy Communion at all costs. In this way, the bishop and priests show true charity both to those who would be scandalized by the reception, but even more importantly, to the public, unrepentant sinner who would "eat and drink judgment against himself."

It has always seemed to me that priests and bishops who commune these people (or anyone who is known to be in mortal sin) really in fact do not love them as Christians should. They care more about the person's reputation, or their own, or their parish's or Church's, than they do for the eternal salvation of those they were given to shepherd. And that's a scary thought.

I say good for Bishop Martino.

Alexis
Would everyone here be comfortable with Bishop Martino saying anyone who voted for the Democrats should be refused communion?
Originally Posted by AMM
Would everyone here be comfortable with Bishop Martino saying anyone who voted for the Democrats should be refused communion?
No. I would be very uncomfortable with such a statement. Bishop Joseph has not made voting an issue of party membership. There are some pro-life Democrats out there!

I have long stated that if Catholics would simply vote only for pro-life politicians that in a few election cycles pro-life candidates would be the norm in all parties. Unfortunately there are many who simply do not care about the pro-born enough to actually vote according to Catholic values.

But we've covered this before. You seem to be intent on making this about condemnation of a particular party rather then the actual, specific issues of life that are involved. It is not about party membership. Rome and the various bishops' statements have made that clear. It is about Life and protecting it from conception to natural death.
Originally Posted by AMM

Or, alternatively, anyone who did not vote Republican (for example voted third party or didn't vote) shouldn't receive communion since, afterall, they weren't doing all that is in their power to stop abortion and could be considered to be committing a sin of omission.

Joe
Joe,
Not to disturb your Lent, but that really was a straw-man argument.

God Bless You,

Eric
True Dr. Eric. I wasn't trying to make an argument. I was just teasing out one way of following something to a logical conclusion.

Though I have to add that I have met people who argue that failing to positively vote for the prolife candidate with the best chance of winning is sinning, even if not sinning to the extent of the one who votes for the prochoice candidate.

Joe
Originally Posted by AMM
Or, alternatively, anyone who did not vote Republican (for example voted third party or didn't vote) shouldn't receive communion since, afterall, they weren't doing all that is in their power to stop abortion and could be considered to be committing a sin of omission.
Again, it's not about party affiliation. It's about life and supporting it. An individual Republican (for example) would need to reject a pro-abortion Republican candidate and vote for a pro-life Democrat (or another party depending on the choice of candidates and their stance).

It is so interesting that some would get lost in the forest because of the trees. You have three candidates in a race. Major Party Candidate A is strongly pro-life. Other Major Party Candidate B is pro-abortion. Third Party Candidate is also pro-life. Which one should you not vote for? That is easy. You don't vote for the one who is pro-abortion. Could there be a sin of omission if you voted for the Third Party candidate and that vote caused the pro-abortion candidate to win the race? Possibly. Guess what? Life is tough. Take the responsibility of learning the Faith and living it. What you've argued here are that the babies are not worth helping because you can't be bothered doing due diligence in preparing to vote.
Anybody who voted Democratic for the presidential candidate.
Deleted.
What about politicians (or anybody I guess whose stance becomes publicly known) who support capital punishment? It has been said that people can hold differing opinions on this issue. There is never a reason for abortion.

Adultery? No communion? If the person/s involved are shouting from the housetops their situation and it becomes a public, YES.

Divorced but no annullment and re-married? No communion? If it is public knowledge that they are in this situation and they are telling others it is only a matter of personal conscience, so as to undermine the Catholic Church Teadhings, then yes. But, remember unless they are vocal about the situation you do not know their hearts.

Children out of wedlock? No communion? Do not even know what you mean about this. Did you mean an unrepentant mother that is promoting the life style to others in public?

Each of these depends on the situation. If those people are involved in publicly promoting the sin to others then yes.
True Dr. Eric. I wasn't trying to make an argument. I was just teasing out one way of following something to a logical conclusion.

Though I have to add that I have met people who argue that failing to positively vote for the prolife candidate with the best chance of winning is sinning, even if not sinning to the extent of the one who votes for the prochoice candidate.

Joe

Joe,
I was using argument in the philosophical sense. Those who claim as such are using non sequiturs. Since no candidate holds all the tenets of the Faith as his platform, one could vote for the candidate who has the closest platform, even though he won't win, and still sleep soundly at night.

I hope you are having a Holy Lent,

Eric
Yes I think you address the issue it is not private sins or private people the Church is admonishing. It is those who in public proclaim to be Catholic and yet in public dissent from the teaching of the Church. The are causing "public" scandal.And their bad witness causes confussion among the faithful.
Stephanos I
PS Since learning all these foreign languages my English has gone to pot. lol
This reeks of neo-Donatism, and I think politicizing the Eucharist is a greater offense than pro-choice politicans.
Originally Posted by Predanije
This reeks of neo-Donatism, and I think politicizing the Eucharist is a greater offense than pro-choice politicans.

Why?

I also would have to ask if it is appropriate to consider this "politicizing". The grave and mortal sin of abortion is a political issue in our nation as our nation, as so many others, has even allowed it to become a part of the tapestry of political debate. That it is even up for debate or vote has been a victory for evil.

That is unfortunate, but in a real sense it is "coincidental" inasmuch as there is today politics that "co-incide" with framing a grave moral evil in the context of merely a political debate. If genocide became the law of the land in the US, would that make opposition to it a "politicizing" tendancy?

Who is politicizing the Eucharist, the bishops who stick to the traditional teaching on safeguarding the Eucharist, or the politicians who show up for photo-ops while profaning the Sacrament?
Originally Posted by Dr. Eric

Who is politicizing the Eucharist, the bishops who stick to the traditional teaching on safeguarding the Eucharist, or the politicians who show up for photo-ops while profaning the Sacrament?

Touche'!!!
Excommunication should not lightly be imposed, and only after private attempts have been made to correct the problem. Nevertheless, there is a place for it as several bishops, including Martino, have concluded.

A pro-choice "Catholic" politician should not be permitted to use his or her receiving of the Eucharist as a photo opportunity. That sends the message that it is OK for Catholic politicians to diverge from the Church on moral issues of this magnitude. Such a message degrades the teaching of the Church and is, indeed, a scandal.
Originally Posted by Leo XIII
Excommunication should not lightly be imposed, and only after private attempts have been made to correct the problem. Nevertheless, there is a place for it as several bishops, including Martino, have concluded.

A pro-choice "Catholic" politician should not be permitted to use his or her receiving of the Eucharist as a photo opportunity. That sends the message that it is OK for Catholic politicians to diverge from the Church on moral issues of this magnitude. Such a message degrades the teaching of the Church and is, indeed, a scandal.

I don't get the "photo op" thing. I have yet to see coverage of a politician in church other than for a funeral/wedding or other special occasion. Maybe it's just my part of the country that doesn't carry this news? If a politician is in church on an ordinary Sunday, is that cheesing for votes or the camera?
Maybe the intention of the priest and bishops is to educate. Maybe the intention is CHARITY to get those that partake unworthly to stop. Maybe the priests and bishops want these people not to heap more and more sins upon themselves "unto death".
John K,
If you "don't get the photo op thing," you might take a look at the current story on the Rorate Caeli blogsite: http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/

It depicts pro-abortion mayor Antonio Villaraigosa yukking it up with the Cardinal Archbishop of Los Angeles and an auxiliary bishop who I do not recognize. No, the mayor is not taking communion, but the principle is the same. The Church should not be lending its political support to pro-abortion politicians. That amounts to scandal in my book.
And then there is the famous image of President Bill Clinton receiving the Sacrament from an african priest.
http://images.google.com/images?sou...mp;um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi
Originally Posted by Leo XIII
John K,
If you "don't get the photo op thing," you might take a look at the current story on the Rorate Caeli blogsite: http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/

It depicts pro-abortion mayor Antonio Villaraigosa yukking it up with the Cardinal Archbishop of Los Angeles and an auxiliary bishop who I do not recognize. No, the mayor is not taking communion, but the principle is the same. The Church should not be lending its political support to pro-abortion politicians. That amounts to scandal in my book.

OK--so the Cardinal and Mayor were both at some basilica to ostensibly celebrate an Hispanic feast day. It didn't mention that it was a campaign stop. At public events, church and state are bound to collide. (Watch coverage of all the Patrick's Day events this weekend!) I wouldn't turn every appearance or photograph into an endorsement.
Even I smile and am pleasant to everyone in a social situation, regardless of whether or not I like them or agree with their politics, religion, opinions, or hair color. Were there pictures taken of me "smoozing" at some functions, the photo definitely would paint a different picture than what was reality. Posting a picture like that and saying that the Cardinal and Mayor are in each other's pocket is a National Enquirer tactic.

Bottom line, none of us is worthy to take Communion.
"Bottom line, none of us is worthy to take Communion."

Nevertheless, it is something which Catholics in good standing are required to do at least once a year.

Alexis
In a State of Grace, that is.
Of course. But to suggest that it's okay that President Clinton took Communion because no one is really worthy of it is ludicrous, in my opinion, and offensive.

Alexis
Originally Posted by Logos - Alexis
Of course. But to suggest that it's okay that President Clinton took Communion because no one is really worthy of it is ludicrous, in my opinion, and offensive.

Alexis

Who suggested that? Certainly not me. I just cannot stomach the fact the so many people, the bishops included, single out so called liberal politicians. And obviously the "once a year communion" is still a precept. By stating that none of us is worthy, I was simply reiterating that we have been given a gift that except through grace, we are not worthy to have.
Ok, John. I am with you in not simply "singling out" liberal politicians.

I hope we can all agree that bishops of the Church upholding Catholic teaching is something we should celebrate, not denigrate. But I'm for applying that across the board.

Alexis
John,
The shame is that people actually excommunicate themselves. There's no need for the Church to do it "officially". When someone knowingly decides that "I am my own" (the first precept of hell - George MacDonald) It's their decision, not the Church's.
The Church simply much ensure it does not create Scandal by enabling the excommunicated to sin (by way of the Eucharist.)
I am glad our Metropolitan, Bishop, and Priest hold a firm Catholic position. That's one reason so many Roman Rite People attend our church regularly.
S.A.W.
Kathleen,
Good thoughts. I would quickly point out that Captial Punishment is considered a Just punishment for a Guilty murderer (argued by many, and me as well.) Abortion is the killing of an Innocent. I'm not clear on your intention, but I thought I'd make that note. Thanks for your post.
Steve
Capital punishment in today's society is, 99.99% of the time, at least to me, vindictive, morally debased, uncivilized and a waste of taxpayers' money when there is often a cheaper alternative (life in prison). But I understand the vast majority of people on this board don't agree with me.

Alexis
Originally Posted by Catechumen
Kathleen,
Good thoughts. I would quickly point out that Captial Punishment is considered a Just punishment for a Guilty murderer (argued by many, and me as well.) Abortion is the killing of an Innocent. I'm not clear on your intention, but I thought I'd make that note. Thanks for your post.
Steve

Abortion is always murder. IMHO so is the intentional starting of labour when the baby is not viable. Capital punsihment is not against the teaching of the Catholic Church so can be a non-issue here.

If anyone is looking from me tomorrow you can find me at the 40 Days for Life in Pittsburgh.
Capital punishment in today's society is, 99.99% of the time, at least to me, vindictive, morally debased, uncivilized and a waste of taxpayers' money when there is often a cheaper alternative (life in prison). But I understand the vast majority of people on this board don't agree with me.
Alexis,

Pope John Paul was staunchly opposed to capital punishment. In fact, he made it quite clear that he considered the only justification for taking a human life is when other means of restraining a dangerous killer are not available.

For my part, I used to have a problem with the notion that CP was somehow "unjust," especially in light of the fact that for over a thousand years, "Christian" kings employed CP regularly. If it was OK then, why is it suddenly not-so-OK now?

However, I came to realize that what you say is true. Supposedly, people are looking for "closure," but what they really want is vengeance. Furthermore, I began to see that the Gospel really teaches that everything that happens--even the bad things--are somehow a part of God's plan. In other words, this murderer didn't just drop somhow into God's perfect plan and ruin it. Rather, in some ineffable way, he was part of it.

I think when we recapture this perspective, we will recapture the power of the Gospel.

Peace,
Deacon Richard
Father Deacon,

I agree. And what to me is often so sad is that when people have unspeakable crimes perpetrated against them or their loved ones, they are handed a perfect opportunity to forgive and grow spiritually. Instead, and understandably, oftentimes capital punishment allows people to exercise their hate - just at the time when Christians should be wanting to forgive the most. Yes, it's tempting and natural, in a morally flawed sort of way, to want to kill and even torture criminals who have wronged us or our loved ones deeply. But, personally, in the end I think it's a tragic waste of a real opportunity to employ a central message of the Gospel.

Look at what John Paul II did for his assailant: he came to meet with, pray with, and forgive the man who tried to murder him. What an example for all of us.

Alexis
"Making matters yet more difficult, the argument to abolish capital punishment is an argument to categorically extend clemency to all those whose crimes are of the sort that would be requitable by death.

I ask: Is there warrant for such categorical extension of clemency? Let us focus mainly on the crime of murder, the deliberate taking of innocent human life. The reason for this focus is that the question of mercy arises only on the assumption that some crime does deserve death. It would seem that at least death deserves death, that nothing less is sufficient to answer the gravity of the deed. As Scripture says: “Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image” (Genesis 9: 5-6). Someone may object that the murderer, too, is made in God’s image, and so he is. But this does not lighten the horror of his deed. On the contrary, it heightens it, because it makes him a morally accountable being. Moreover, if even simple murder warrants death, how much more does multiple and compounded murder warrant it. Some criminals seem to deserve death many times over. If we are considering not taking their lives at all, the motive cannot be justice. It must be mercy.

The questions we must address are therefore three: Is it ever permissible for public authority to give the wrongdoer less than he deserves? If it is permissible, then when is it permissible? Is it permissible to grant such mercy categorically?

Society is justly ordered when each person receives what is due to him." J. Budziszewski , First Things, August/Septemer 2004

I would say that it's much easier to give mercy than to carry out Justice. A judge or jury, with no emotional ties to a crime, would surely have some people who find the Death Penalty something they wouldn't want to impose, even if they want someone else to do so.

I hope I am never called to do it. But we often only remember God's mercy, and not His Holiness, and Just Being.

“Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image” (Genesis 9: 5-6).

It is incorrect to say that with Jesus, a new covenant of Mercy came about, and Justice was forgotten.
It is for the "wronged" people to forgive, but it is not for Government to forget Justice. Actually, I would say that while a person may forgive another, they still should not interfere with the dispensation of Justice.
From the pro-life side, Proverbs 20 says

22 Do not say, “I will repay evil”;
wait for the Lord, and he will deliver you.
I am all for justice. But I don't necessarily think it is just to kill someone because they killed someone else.

I respect that there are many opinions on this issue, though.

Alexis
I am all for justice. But I don't necessarily think it is just to kill someone because they killed someone else.

I respect that there are many opinions on this issue, though.

Alexis

Maybe not for one person. But for an unrepentant mass murderer who has the charismatic ability to influence others, yes.
Dr. Eric,

I do actually agree with you on that one. If it were able to be ascertained that say, a murderer, even if kept alive in a maximum security prison, had the ability to influence others to do violence by the simple fact of his being alive, then I wouldn't be opposed to capital punishment in that case. And that's fully consonant with Catholic teaching.

Alexis
I remember seeing a program about a guy who was able to do just that. Plus, remember Charles Manson also still possesses that ability.
© The Byzantine Forum