www.byzcath.org
The Holy Synod of the Orthodox Church in America (OCA) has reestablished the Diocese of Washington and the Diocese of New York & New Jersey as two separate dioceses. Metropolitan JONAH is going to Washington, so the search is on for a new Bishop of New York & New Jersey (source [ocanews.org]).

Mark Stokoe has a strongly worded leader [ocanews.org] on his website [ocanews.org] where he criticizes the nomination process for Bishop of New York & New Jersey as not being "conciliar" enough. Mr. Stokoe compares the process unfavorably with the nomination and election of Bishop MELCHIZEDEK of Pittsburgh recently (article [ocanews.org]), where he feels the nomination process was more transparent.

So, how to elect a Bishop? How does one avoid giving too much power to a small group of people, such as a nominating committee? And how does one balance the input from laity, clergy, and the Metropolitan and Holy Synod of Bishops, all of whom surely have a legitimate voice in the decision?
So, how to elect a Bishop?

I like the way they picked Ambrose of Milan, myself.
Originally Posted by StuartK
So, how to elect a Bishop?

I like the way they picked Ambrose of Milan, myself.
The aim is that everyone should be in complete agreement, so of course election by acclamation is easy to like. But there should be a Plan B as well, shouldn't there?

Another question is whether Mr. Stokoe is overreacting here or whether there is legitimate cause for complaint about the nomination process for Bishop of New York & New Jersey?
Well, there was always the way Damasus I was chosen to be Bishop of Rome.
As I said, it's nice to have a Plan B (as an alternative to unanimous acclamation), because the election of Pope St. Damasus I was riven by partisanship and hardly constitutes an edifying example.

And am I the only one to feel that Mark Stokoe is being just slightly hysterical in his most recent editorial [ocanews.org]?

Originally Posted by Mark Stokoe
On the Episcopal Selection Process in the Diocese of New York-New Jersey

The only way we are going to get out of the mess the OCA is in is to stop living lies. To label the episcopal selection process now being undertaken by the administration of the re-established Diocese of New York and New Jersey as “conciliar” is just a lie.

It is a big old fat lie that stinks - and it doesn’t just stink, it stains everybody who has anything to do with it.

There is nothing “conciliar” about four appointed men, all clergy, all of whom were intimate in the previous dysfunctional diocesan administration under Metropolitan Herman, privately reviewing candidates in a closed, “non-competetive” process (their words, not mine) and coming up with only two nominees after only three weeks, neither of whose names can be released. Rather, delegates will be allowed to know their names only two weeks before the election, but not given any opportunity to discuss them together before the election. Nor will they be allowed to do as at the Extraordinary Assembly.

If this is “as conciliar a process as we are capable of achieving, with God’s help”, I would suggest God had little to do with this. This reeks of men and their plans - most of which have involved cover-up these past four years in the OCA . (For that matter, how is the audit of NY-NJ proceeding? Sadly, Metropolitan Herman was right - it seems the Diocese will never learn where their money went.)

This is not conciliarity. This is worse than just imposing a bishop and forgetting the “show” - for this has the form of conciliarity but none of the substance thereof. Can’t we at least try to be an conciliar, honest, open, and transparent Church? If not, what then is the point of this autocephaly? So someone can wear a white hat and tour foreign Patriarchates?

Shame on Metropolitan Jonah, locum tenens, and the Diocesan Search Committee for making a mockery of conciliarity;

Shame on them for making a mockery of people’s hopes for change in the OCA;

Shame on them for asking the Faithful to assist and participate in this mockery of their own hopes;

And shame on the Faithful who do so, accepting the lie and pretending it is not.

In 21st century America, how you do something is as important as what you do, for it speaks to integrity. Even the right man, chosen the wrong way, becomes the wrong man.

So most of all, shame on any man who participates in this by accepting election through such sham “conciliarity”. For if he was going to be the real father and pastor that the Diocese of New York- New Jersey needs after 35 years of admitted pastoral neglect and financial abuse, he should condemn the process for the travesty it is, rather than profit from it. That would be leader the Diocese needs!

And finding that man in an real, open, honest, transparent and conciliar process would be worth another two, three or even six months. Unless, of course, that is precisely what one fears.

- Mark Stokoe
"Riven by partisanship"--I like that. Sounds like a PTA meeting. "Marred by riots, bloodshed and murder" is more accurate, but not at all edifying.

As for Plan B, the ideal would be the selection of a candidate by the Synod, the presentation of his name to the people, the people express their opinion, and the Synod prayerful reflects and makes its decision. The people get the final word at the ordination, because "Axios" should not be a pro forma acclamation.
"Riven by partisanship"--I like that. Sounds like a PTA meeting. "Marred by riots, bloodshed and murder" is more accurate, but not at all edifying.

As for Plan B, the ideal would be the selection of a candidate by the Synod, the presentation of his name to the people, the people express their opinion, and the Synod prayerful reflects and makes its decision. The people get the final word at the ordination, because "Axios" should not be a pro forma acclamation.
That gives the initiative to the Synod, doesn't it. And isn't that a bit like how Patriarch CYRIL of Moscow was elected recently? The Synod of Bishops presented their candidates to a national council, which made the final decision. That seemed to work fine.

I understand the OCA does it the other way round: the clergy and people present their candidate(s) to the Synod for election and ordination. This gives the initiative to the diocesan assembly of clergy and people, rather than to the bishops.

But, then again, isn't it the role of the bishops to guide the people, rather than the other way around?
I don't think that every diocese needs to have the same process, but must have the same moral and theological standards.

Ray
Let us pray that our brothers and sisters in the OCA are able to find a holy, wise, and faithful Bishop for New York & New Jersey.
And am I the only one to feel that Mark Stokoe is being just slightly hysterical . . . ?

Christ is in our midst!!

No, I had the same reaction, after reading the "approved candidate('s)" qualifications. No two situations are the same. The Pittsburgh situation took some time for any number of reasons. Might it have included the fact that candidates kept removing their names from consideration?

I think they need to give the Holy Synod some consideration for knowing the backgrounds of candidates and making some prayerful decisions. That's what the grace of the episcopal office is about.

BOB
Typically, in the heyday of Byzantium, the Synod of a metropolitan province chose a new bishop from among the ranks of its own clergy. The candidate need not even be a presbyter--quite frequently it was the bishop's protodeacon, for who better to know what was on his predecessor's mind or ensure continuity of policy? Quite a few Popes actually rose from Protodeacon of Rome to Bishop of Rome with only a brief stop in the presbyterate.

Because dioceses in the East were small, most of the potential candidates would be known to the people, though occasionally outsiders might be brought in for political reasons. In any case, liturgy in the patristic age was a pretty raucous affair, and if the people did not like the candidate announced by the Synod, they could certainly make their feelings known. If, after expressing their displeasure, an unpopular bishop was still foisted on the people, they could sometimes respond with what we might politely call "civil disobedience", which sometimes led to a reconsideration. More often, though, it led to the Emperor calling in the troops. Very messy!

But this reflected very badly on the Synod, and the Emperor had ways of making his displeasure known--because, like parents, most Emperors weren't interested in who was right and who was wrong; they were interested in quiet. So the Synod tried to maintain calm, order and discipline--and that in turn meant paying attention to what the people thought about things, including the name of the next bishop for their diocese.
And am I the only one to feel that Mark Stokoe is being just slightly hysterical . . . ?

Stokoe is merely reflecting the old adage, "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me". Due to its violation of the trust of the faithful, the Synod of the OCA seems to have lost the presumption of innocence for the time being, and must regain the trust they lost by being, like Caesar's wife and all Caesar's household, "above suspicion".
The best candidate is always the man who doesn't want to be bishop, and so runs away rather than submit to ordination. They guy who has to be dragged kicking and screaming to the altar is always preferable to the guy who politicked his way to a mitre.

I also think we might want to revisit that old canon from First Nicaea that prohibited bishops from jumping from see to see. If a vacancy opens, it should be filled by a member of the local clergy, not by an interloper. The people of a diocese can be expected to know their own priests and deacons, so the chances of foisting a bad or even unpopular candidate are greatly reduced.

This rule, by the way, ought to apply to the Bishop of Rome, as it would to any bishop.
Originally Posted by Latin Catholic
Mark Stokoe has a strongly worded leader [ocanews.org] on his website [ocanews.org] where he criticizes the nomination process for Bishop of New York & New Jersey as not being "conciliar" enough. Mr. Stokoe compares the process unfavorably with the nomination and election of Bishop MELCHIZEDEK of Pittsburgh recently * * *

I have this feeling that Mark Stokoe has become waaaay too convinced of his own importance.
I certainly think highly of our Forum, and I believe that it meets a serious need. But I rather doubt that the OCA is making use of the Forum in searching for one or more candidates for the episcopate!

Fr. Serge
Anyway, here is something that I found on the Orthodox News webgroup:

Reflection:

In Response to the OCANews.org Editorial of August 3, 2009

"Shame, Shame, Shame, Shame"

The Diocese of New York and New Jersey is in the process of nominating
the man who will be elected, by conciliar Assembly and the concurrence
of the Holy Synod, its ruling hierarch: a Diocesan Bishop. The process employed was through the decision of the Locum tenens, Metropolitan +Jonah, in consultation with the three elected Deans (New York Deanery, New York City Deanery, New Jersey Deanery) and Chancellor of the Diocese. The process was presented and accepted by the elected members of the Diocesan Council. The process is governed by the Holy Canons, the Statutes of the Orthodox Church in America, and the Holy Synod's "Instructions Concerning the Election of the Ruling Hierarch" (Approved & Revised 1972).

Several communications have been released for full dissemination among the clergy and laity of the diocese. Those tasked with implementing the process, and those aforementioned in approving the process, have promised an open, inclusive, conciliar approach to the fullest extent possible. Are there disagreements as to the exact nature of the process, the fullness of conciliarity, the desired level ofopenness, or other questions? Probably. Imperfections and human limitation abound. No process is perfect; all things can be improved; we are sinners, all. I am confident that such concerns and, hopefully, lessons learned will surface at our upcoming Extraordinary Diocesan Assembly. That's a good thing. But, it is hardly a conciliar principle amongst brothers dwelling in unity for one with a "loud
voice" to shout from beyond the boundaries of the Diocese (the
conciliar body, in this case) that all involved in the process of
electing their diocesan hierarch are liars, deceivers, betrayers of the
conciliar principle and worthy of shame. If anyone thinks I have
incorrectly summarized the accusations published in the recent
OCANews.org editorial, read it for yourself and choose your own words to
describe the direct and implied accusations.

Editor Mark Stokoe
pronounced four "Shame on you" declarations, the last of which
is directed at my faithful parishioners. Quite bold, I'd say!
Saint Seraphim of Sarov taught me that any cursing directed against me
is a blessing because I just might learn humility, and humility is my
only hope of salvation. So, thanks – to Mark Stokoe – for the
personal blessing. But when he points his "shame on you" finger
at my beloved and faithful flock, I am not inclined to think of him
fondly.

As for my parish, everyone is expressing amazement and joy at how open
the process is and they are eagerly awaiting more information as we
prepare for the Assembly. It ought to be clear to anyone with a modicum
of sense and propriety that a full and unrestricted release of candidate
names, bios, reputations, and histories to "all and for all" followed by
a free-for-all race to the Golden Omophor in front of cheering & jeering
crowds would be a disgraceful (and un-grace-filled) spectacle unto our
legitimate shame. That was – and I know it to be so – the
meaning behind the singular word "non-competitive" lifted from
the recent Diocesan Search Committee memorandum and ridiculed by Mr.
Stokoe as a sign of the continuation of the "dysfunctional diocesan
administration under Metropolitan Herman" (his words, not mine). My
goodness! -- talk about petty trivialities in search of substance!
There is also a matter of privacy and confidentiality involved, after
all. I wonder if Father Michael Dahulich enjoyed the banner-headline
and reporting on OCANews.org pronouncing him as the singular candidate
and chosen-one to ascend as Bishop of New York and New Jersey by decree
of the Holy Synod with the blind acceptance of the diocesan peasants
errantly presuming themselves to be "parish delegates." Was
there any editorial concern, I wonder, regarding the impact such
reporting (as fact) may have on – oh, let's say – the
Seminary of which he is currently dean? And, while any simpleton could
come up with a broad list of those potentially affected by such
reporting, it is – as all gossips claim – "what reliable
inside sources say."

While I am not troubled by what OCANews.org
reports, neither do I fret over the National Enquirer at the supermarket
checkout, it is bothersome to know that many people accept what is
presented there, and the unwavering courage and integrity of the source,
as "gospel." Example? When our diocesan process was just
beginning, I was visited by a relative from the Diocese of the Mid West.
I explained to her how excited we were to be engaged in prayerfully
discerning the future of our diocese and the election of a Bishop.
"You know," she said, "the Synod of Bishops has already
decided and you have no say in it." "Really," said I.
"My priest said so, and he knows people who know." Wow! I
didn't know her priest was "on-line!" But if he got it
"on-line" it is, most assuredly, the truth. I must be a real
dope and dupe, because I'm kind of in the middle of this thing and
that particular "clue bird" has not yet landed on my shoulder!
Needless to say, it was not my place to correct my relative or, worse,
suggest that her priest was either uninformed, wrong, or a liar. It
would be nice, I must admit, if some others would also refrain from
pronouncing such judgments – especially while throwing them up into
the Internet wind.

Does Mr. Stokoe not know, or does he intentionally choose to ignore,
that the three Deans comprising the Selection Committee (along with the
Chancellor installed and blessed by Metropolitan +Jonah) are duly
elected by the priests of their respective deaneries? Does he have
"reliable inside sources" leaking information regarding
instances of corruption and behind-the-curtain deals of evil intent
fomenting in the countless meetings conducted by the Search Committee?
Is he prepared to present "the case" behind his innuendo that
these priests – our Deans – are justifiably to be labeled as
"stooges?" (sorry, but given Mr. Stokoe's artful and
creative skill with the written word I couldn't resist the
"Three Stooges" reference for his amusement). I laughed
hysterically when, many years ago, a movie of the same title featured
the lines: "The Russians are coming! The Russians are coming!"

Now, in the world according to Mr. Stokoe, it seems that instead of
Russian Communists the "Hermonites" have not only come but
infiltrated every parish and deanery of the New York and New Jersey
Diocese. So, with McCarthy-like precision, they must be "outed"
and labeled with every manner of distrustful accusation, questioning of
motives, and general disdain. As one who not only voted for our Dean,
but who respects and trusts him implicitly in this Search Process, and
who thanks God for our priestly brotherhood, I am personally offended
and refuse to accept a "shame on you" from a man in Ohio whom I
neither know nor have reason to regard as my judge. It has become
evident that Mr. Stokoe seeks to rouse the keyboard masses within his
limited yet boastful sphere of influence, with himself the
self-appointed, irreproachable, pure, "man of the common
people," keyboard wizard. The arrogance, mistrust, proclivity to
judge, and self-absorbed grandeur exuding from his website – and the
long line of bloggers (my guess is that among the usual suspects are
12-16 keyboard commentators who repeatedly, and most often anonymously,
share profundities) -- is amazing and a wonderment: so much so that
though I try to avoid it as much as possible for my spiritual
well-being, the temptation to salaciousness sometimes becomes so great
that I "log-on." The encounter, I confess, always leaves me
feeling uneasy as flashbacks of my youth and that "deeply
concerned" group of Church gossips comes to mind. The experience
makes me feel, well – to use Mr. Stokoe's word –
"stained."

I can't help but see in this a grievously sickened form of spiritual
McCarthyism through which the dreaded "communists" are replaced
by "Hermonites" -- conspirators who clothe themselves in
priestly vestments while surreptitiously using positions of ecclesial
leadership to subvert and destroy the blessed conciliarity (democracy)
of the Church. Faithful to the legacy of Joe McCarthy, this movement is
founded on the endless pursuit of traitors and agents of evil,
maintained by an ever-flowing stream of "anonymous" sources,
allegations, and ever-so-nuanced gossip heralded as transparency,
accountability, and truth, while all the while serving the purpose of
self-righteous discourse. I recall some people -- call them gossips --
in our parish when I was growing up. The best of them always said,
"Well, it's the truth, you know!" True or not, that simple
formula vindicated their words and actions, lifted them above the sin of
false witnessing, and mitigated all of the turmoil, suspicions,
mistrust, fracturing of love, and dissolution of mercy they sowed while
always – always – presenting a smile of self-assurance and
"journalistic" dignity. Even as a young boy, they saddened me.

What I know is this: I respect, trust, and love the members
of our Diocesan Search Committee. My parish is excited and enthused by
the process and openness they have espoused, and the manner by which
they have labored diligently to carry out their difficult task. I
believe they have earnestly considered the many names submitted for
their consideration, honoring both the sincerity of the nomination and
the personal dignity and confidentiality of each nominee. I do not see
a "Hermonite" lurking behind every bush. In our parish, we
– yes, in a conciliar process -- are engaged and prepared to
prayerfully consider the nominees for the high office of diocesan
hierarch and -- with faith, hope, and love – to send our delegates
to the Extraordinary Diocesan Assembly on August 31st where we believe
the grace of the Holy Spirit will assemble us. In response to Mr.
Stokoe's pronouncement, "we are not ashamed."

Fr. Ken James Stavrevsky
Rector
Saint John the Baptist Church
Rochester NY
Typically, in the heyday of Byzantium, the Synod of a metropolitan province chose a new bishop from among the ranks of its own clergy. [...]
I thought the more original pattern was for the new bishop to be chosen by the clergy of the diocese, presented to the people for approval, and then ordained by the metropolitan and bishops of the province. Or am I wrong?
I thought the more original pattern was for the new bishop to be chosen by the clergy of the diocese, presented to the people for approval, and then ordained by the metropolitan and bishops of the province. Or am I wrong?

Before the superstructure of provinces had been erected, bishops were elected by the people and ordained by the laying on of hands by the bishops of the adjoining dioceses. But by the third and fourth centuries, regional variations had begun to emerge. By the fourth century, the Archbishop of Alexandria was appointing all bishops directly, without election (in much the same way the Pope of Rome does for the Latin Church today). Elsewhere, there were variations on the process of nomination by the Synod, but of course, the Synod took into account the input of the local clergy and people. The process was conciliar but not mechanical; i.e., there were no conferences or conventions, there were no formal slates of candidates or ballots, no tallying of votes. The process, like much of Church governance of the time, was informal and governed by custom.
In other words, there is not one correct way to elect a bishop, but the clergy and laity of the vacant diocese as well as the neighbouring bishops should all be actively involved. (This also seems to be the starting point for Fr. Schmemann's line of argument in his article on "The Idea of Primacy in Orthodox Ecclesiology," [aoiusa.org] so I feel on safe ground here.)

Based on this I think it is fair to say that the OCA Diocese of New York & New Jersey is trying to follow ancient canonical precedents in its search for a new bishop. What Mark Stokoe is worried about is a much more recent precedent, the election process in the Diocese of Pittsburgh & Western Pennsylvania (described in some detail here [ocanews.org]). So what are the differences, and what are the similarities?

1. Different size and membership of the nominating committees. In the case of Pittsburgh & Western Pennsylvania, the nominating committee consited of all the members (more than twenty) of the Diocesan Council. In the case of New York & New Jersey, the nominating committee consists of four clergymen: the Chancellor and the three (elected) Deans. Anyone who has any experience with committee work will realize that it's much easier to get the work done with a smaller committee. Also, since the committee members are senior priests, they probably have personal knowledge of most of the candidates. However, perhaps a layman could have been added to the committee to avoid any suspicions of clericalism?

2. Same number of nominees. Despite the differences in size and composition, both nominating committees came up with two names only. However, other candidates can be added to the ballot during the Diocesan Assembly. This happened in Pittsburgh & Western Pennsylvania, and can presumably happen in New York & New Jersey too. This means that the nominating committee only has the power to make suggestions, not to block a candidate.

3. Different ways of getting to know the candidates. In Pittsburgh & Western Pennsylvania, the names of the main candidates were made public and the candidates were invited to speak and answer questions in different locations throughout the diocese. In New York & New Jersey, the names are being kept confidential, and parishes will have a relatively short period of time for discussion and reflection before the diocesan assembly. This is an important difference, but I think both approaches are completely legitimate. However, it's obviously important to avoid anything that might even look like an election campaign for the office of bishop!

As far as I can tell, these are the main differences and similarities. Clearly, it is fundamentally the same process, but with some adjustments. The smaller size of the nominating committee makes a lot of sense to me on practical grounds. Also, the Diocese of New York & New Jersey has just been reestablished, so I guess it may not even have a diocesan council yet. Eliminating Q&A sessions with candidates will save time and will also avoid any idea that the candidates are campaigning for office. There will still be time for discussion and reflection in the parishes. And, finally, as long as candidates can be added to the ballot during the diocesan assembly, the nominating committee has no power to block a candidate.

Accordingly, I think Mark Stokoe is wrong to condemn [ocanews.org] the entire election process. Let us instead pray for a good election and a good outcome for the Diocese of New York & New Jersey and for the entire Orthodox Church in America.
Three is a better number. When you have to do something, do it three times. When you have to say something, say it three times. And when you need to fill an office, find three nominees.

The canons for the election of the Patriarch of Constantinople, in fact, required the Holy Synod to provide the Emperor with three names, from which he would normally pick one. If he found none of the names acceptable, he could put forward a nominee of his own.

The canons for the election of a Patriarch in the Eastern Catholic Churches is based roughly on this precedent, with the Pope taking the place of the Emperor.

By the way, once nominated, it is always good practice for the nominee to turn down the first two invitations, accepting only the third time--the rule of threes pertains.
The canons for the election of the Patriarch of Constantinople, in fact, required the Holy Synod to provide the Emperor with three names, from which he would normally pick one. If he found none of the names acceptable, he could put forward a nominee of his own.

The canons for the election of a Patriarch in the Eastern Catholic Churches is based roughly on this precedent, with the Pope taking the place of the Emperor.

How's that again? The Synod of Bishops elects one (1) Patriarch, who is enthroned immediately. He then reports his election to the Pope, who has (hypothetically) the option of refusing ecclesial communion.

The Emperor was not given a list of three, two, or four from which he might choose the new Patriarch, nor is the Pope.

The Emperor, obviously, could neither give nor refuse ecclesial communion to the Patriarch or anyone else.

Fr. Serge
How's that again? The Synod of Bishops elects one (1) Patriarch, who is enthroned immediately. He then reports his election to the Pope, who has (hypothetically) the option of refusing ecclesial communion.

The Emperor ratified all patriarchal elections (even that of the Bishop of Rome, right down through the collapse of the Exarchate of Ravenna). The Emperor continued to ratify the election of the the Patriarch of Constantinople down to the end of the Empire, using the process that I outlined. No Synod would put forward a nominee not previously vetted by the Emperor--so, if you prefer, the Emperor "pre-selected" from a slate of candidates presented to him by the Synod, the Synod proceeded to vote, the election was ratified by the Emperor.
Stuart,
I think you're missing the point. It's your description of how Eastern Catholic Patriarchs are elected that is not very accurate.
Stuart,
Sorry if that sounded a bit unfriendly. What I'm trying to say is that the Eastern Catholic patriarchal synods elect a patriarch who then asks for and receives ecclesiastical communion from the Pope. The Synod does not present the Pope with a choice of three candidates for patriarch as you seem to suggest.
I quote from the eminent British Byzantinist, J.M. Hussey, The Orthodox Church in the Byzantine Empire, Clarendon Press (Oxford) 1986, p.313:

In the post-sixth century period, the final choice of a patriarch rested with the Emperor. Initially, the metropolitans met in the standing synod in Constantinople and selected three names. Only they [the metropolitans] could vote, but as in other synodal business, views could be expressed unofficially by others outside the metropolitan circle, such as the leading officials of the Great Church. The three names were submitted to the Emperor, who could select one of these or a fourth candidate of his own choice. The De Ceremonis describes how the announcement and investiture were made by the Emperor in the Magnaura palace in the presence of the senate and clergy. The Patriarch was then escorted to his own palace, the patriarcheion adjoining Hagia Sophia. He was enthroned in the Great Church on the following Sunday after receiving the patriarchal insignia from the Emperor, and he was consecrated by the Metropolitan of Heracleia.
It's your description of how Eastern Catholic Patriarchs are elected that is not very accurate.

You are correct. I conflated the process for Metropolitan Churches with that for Patriarchal Churches. See CCEO Canon 168:

With regard to the appointment of the metropolitan and bishops, for each case the council of hierarchs is to compose a list of at least three of the more suitable candidates, and send the list to the Apostolic See, observing secrecy even towards the candidates [Yeah, right--SLK]; in order to compile the list, the members of the council of hierarchs, if they judge it to be expedient, can seek the opinion of certain presbyters or other Christian faithful outstanding in wisdom concerning the needs of the Church and the special talents of a person required for the episcopate.

So, as you can see, this highly complex process (which historically has not yielded outstanding results) is quite similar to the process by which the Patriarch of Alexandria was selected by the Roman Emperor on the basis of recommendations by the standing synod.

I apologize for my earlier confusion.
Alas, the pendulum swings too far the other way and congregationalism rears it's pernicious head. Prayers for the faithful of the American Metropolia.

Alexandr
The last time that the Emperor vetoed a papal election was early in the twentieth century - the Emperor in question was Franz Joseph.

Fr. Serge
Fr. Serge,Didn't Emperor Franz Joseph veto the Cardinal in question because the man was allegedly a Mason? Or is this some Pius X Society and/or Sedavacantist propaganda?
The Cardinal in question (whose name I am not about to give) was about as likely to be a Freemason as Franz Joseph himself!

Fr. Serge
The recently reestablished OCA Diocese of New York & New Jersey now has its own website up and running: http://www.nynjoca.org/

Here one can also read the Final Report [nynjoca.org] of the Diocesan Search Committee, Instructions Concerning the Election of the Ruling Bishop [nynjoca.org], and biographies of the three candidates for Bishop of New York & New Jersey:
These biographies are well worth reading.
Not a monastic amongst them. Sigh...... Putting a khlobuk on an hour and a half prior to consecration does not a monk make. And the Metropolia wonders why it is walking off a cliff...

Alexandr
Originally Posted by Latin Catholic

Prayers for the Diocese of New York & New Jersey.

I did very much enjoy reading about Archpriest David Brum (That name has been anglicized!) He's such a classic native of California's great Central Valley. I was so touched by his many years of devoted ministry to the Catholic Church here as he struggled privately with his journey of many years toward Orthodoxy. His family's response to his reception into the Orthodox Church is a real testament to their love and their faith.

God bless each of these men for their priestly service to God's people.
Originally Posted by Slavipodvizhnik
Not a monastic amongst them. Sigh...... Putting a khlobuk on an hour and a half prior to consecration does not a monk make. And the Metropolia wonders why it is walking off a cliff...

Alexandr
Slim pickings indeed! This after a so-called list of 40 candidates. I can only imagine what the ones not considered were like if this is the top of the list. Let's see here, you have one (Brum) that has had his nomination and election blocked twice due to his implication in the scandals that rocked the OCA over the past few years, once for the Diocese of the South and the second for an auxiliary bishop position (notice how that was conveniently left out of his autobiography). Then you have another (Mahaffey) who could not even garner 10% of the vote from his home diocese of Western PA when they elected a bishop for that diocese earlier this year. That leaves Dahulich, which I have heard rumors is going to turn down the nomination in order to continue on in his role at St. Tikhon's.

I think it is time for a new search committee to find some viable candidates that can truly be pastors and lead.
So, who's the Protodeacon?
Chrsit is in our midst!!

I wonder why the bishop on the list withdrew his name.

BOB
New wine in old wineskins? The Nicene prohibition on see-hopping? SSDD?
Stuart,
The Nicene prohibition on see-hopping? SSDD?
What is SSDD??? I heard of WWJD, but never that one. Enlighten me please. :-)

Ray
Council of Nicaea said bishops should not move from see to see, but should stay where they were ordained bishop. SSDD = Same stuff, different day.
OK...now that I understand the acronym...to whom are you referring though? There isn't anybody on that list who is a bishop. I would like to understand.

Thanks!

Ray
Snarky and rude assumptions aside, maybe if Stuart read the report, especially the part concerning His Grace, Bishop Seraphim (Sigrist), retired Bishop of Sendai (recently received into the OCA from the autonomous Orthodox Church of Japan), maybe then an informed and accurate reply could have been given instead.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+
Administrator
Well, Father, one might be excused for being snarky, rude and cynical when reviewing a process that takes the simple and makes it extremely complex, to say nothing of opaque in its operation.

In the OCA, we are not dealing with a large organization. There are how many priests in the Diocese of New York? There are eleven parishes and missions (including those in the new Diocese of Washington), so we are talking about perhaps twenty to thirty priests. These men all know each other, their characters and capabilities. How hard would it be to ask them who they would like to be their next bishop, and submit a list of two or three names to the Synod, which then could choose?

Instead, we have some sort of talent search by a committee whose membership and practices have been called into question. It's a sign of how much trust the hierarchy of the OCA has lost that something as simple as the selection of a new bishop becomes a contentious issue.

I also really do not believe that bishop should be moved from one see to another. It's a pernicious practices that rewards ambition and politicking. If a see becomes vacant, then the next bishop should be chosen from among the clergy of the diocese with the active participation of the clergy and people of the diocese itself.
Stuart,

Much better, but now I have to pose a question to you from your post. The Diocese of New York and New Jersey has roughly 60+ parishes and roughly the same amount if not greater of clergy. In reviewing the website for that diocese earlier this week, they have only roughly 4-5 clergy that are celibate or widowed to begin the process of selection from within the diocese. If none of these contenders are eligible by either qualification (by OCA statute), screening or choice, where do they start looking for candidates for consideration?

Mind you, I have no sympathies for the selection committee and the way that the screening process was approached, and I am sure that it is going to have some sort of backlash from the clergy and laity at the special diocesan convention. For the record, Bishop Seraphim did remove his name from consideration immediately when approached, since he had no desire in assuming the administrative responsibilities of leading a diocese again.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+
Dear Father,

A review of the OCA Parish/Clergy directory at their web site indicates there are just eleven parishes and missions in the combined Diocese of New York and Washington, with a total of 23 priests, including Metropolitan Jonah. By contrast, the OCA Diocese of Alaska has 49 priests, Eastern Pennsylvania has 40 priests, the Midwest has 89, the South has 97, New England has 31, the West has 67 and Western Pennsylvania has 35 (all these taken from the OCA online clergy directory, and excluding the ethnic and offshore dioceses).

So, the first question is you got the number 60+ for the clergy of the Diocese of New York and Washington. That notwithstanding, if my numbers are correct, the problem is far worse than you stated, since there seem to be only three unmarried priests and one unmarried deacon in the whole diocese.

I suppose that it would be possible to expand the search to include the Dioceses of New England and Eastern Pennsylvania, since all of these are geographically contiguous to the Diocese of New York and Washington (the Diocese of the South is geographically huge and includes most of what we would call the Southwest), but the situation would not be much better than you indicated.

Those two dioceses have seventy one priests and about thirty-five deacons, which is a total of one hundred major clergy. If the proportion for New York and Washington (4 out of 23), and just 17% of the clergy in those diocese are unmarried, then we might expect a total of 17-18 unmarried priests and deacons. If we exclude the deacons, then we would get only 12 potential candidates. If half of those candidates are excluded on the basis of age, willingness or other impediments, then you are stuck with just six likely candidates.

Still, given the limited scope of the search, if they had polled the clergy of the Diocese of New York, they could have come up with a list on their own. I am not familiar with the statutory requirements for being a bishop in the OCA, but the only canonical requirement is the bishop must have taken monastic orders before his ordination to the episcopate. It would seem reasonable that any other qualifications could be waived by the synod with the concurrence of the clergy of the diocese.

A more disturbing and long-term problem, however, is the lack of a strong monastic foundation to the OCA. If the faithful of the OCA are not happy with their limited choices for the episcopate, they need to have a much deeper pool of monastic clergy from which to choose. This in turn requires more monasteries, more monastic vocations, and more monks.
Stuart,

I do not know what site you have reviewed, but this is the link [oca.org] to the OCA website listing exactly 57 parishes and missions for the Diocese of New York and New Jersey. If we are to discuss this topic, it might help from a position of accuracy. As to the issues of monasticism in the OCA and the issues from the lack of viability regarding it, that in itself is a topic that deserves a thread all to itself in the appropriate forum section, which in my opinion I happen to agree with your assessment.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+
OK, this is interesting--I went to the OCA online parish directory, and find that this shows the new organization of the OCA, with a Diocese of New York and New Jersey, and a separate Diocese of Washington. But the Clergy Directory [oca.org] still shows a combined Diocese of Washington and New York. Go figure!

If we go by the parish listing, then Father Anthony is correct about the number of parishes in the Diocese of New York and New Jersey, but it in no way correlates with the clergy listings, which must be lagging behind. Checking on the individual priests listed, all of them are in the territory of the new Diocese of Washington, none are in New York or New Jersey, so counting heads won't work.

The numbers for the Diocese of Washington aren't very encouraging--of the 23 priests and deacons, only four are unmarried.

In view of this, the number of candidates in the diocese would be somewhere around nine or ten, including deacons. Still not good, but better.
Agreed! I believe the new website for the recently restored/created OCA Diocese of New York and New Jersey is a work in progress. So its reliability for data can be called into question on this issue for the time being.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+
The new arrangement calls into question the viability of the Diocese of Washington. With only eleven parishes and missions, it would seem its only purpose is to provide seat for the Metropolitan, putting him in a position analogous to that of the Ecumenical Patriarch. How well will his authority stand up against that of the other bishops, whose dioceses are much larger and wealthier than that of Washington, DC?
Probably a very good question and one that should be entertained as part of another thread devoted to that subject in the appropriate forum section, as to keep this thread on-topic regarding the OP.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+
Administrator
...If we go by the parish listing, then Father Anthony is correct about the number of parishes in the Diocese of New York and New Jersey, but it in no way correlates with the clergy listings, which must be lagging behind. Checking on the individual priests listed, all of them are in the territory of the new Diocese of Washington, none are in New York or New Jersey, so counting heads won't work.

The numbers for the Diocese of Washington aren't very encouraging--of the 23 priests and deacons, only four are unmarried.

In view of this, the number of candidates in the diocese would be somewhere around nine or ten, including deacons. Still not good, but better...

Is a shortage of celibate or widowed priests available for bishops a recent issue in Orthodox Diocese and is it one that comes up world wide or just in America?
OCANews.org [ocanews.org] has more on the selection process here [ocanews.org]:
In Responding To Questions, NY/NJ Search Committee Calls Itself Into Question
  • Offers New Rules For Floor nominations Requiring “Real Time” Verification
  • Defends Brum Candidacy With Campaign Testimonial from Bishop Benjamin
  • Committee Member Admits Never Having Read SIC Letter Concerning Brum
  • New Evidence Emerges Detailing Fr. Brum’s Role in '99 Wheeler Dismissal
Personally I can't help feeling that it is a good thing that the candidates are being scrutinized, questions are being asked and debate is taking place. While I don't doubt that a good Nuncio can make excellent recommendations to Rome, the process in the OCA [oca.org] is already much more open and transparent than anything we have in the Roman Catholic Church.

Currently the OCA has at least three vacant dioceses: New York & New Jersey [nynjoca.org], The South [dosoca.org], and Alaska [dioceseofalaska.org]. It will be interesting to see how they will go about selecting Bishops in the weeks and months to come. Hopefully the OCA will begin to find ways to choose Bishops that correctly balance the rights and duties of hierarchs, clergy and laity in the selection process.
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel
Then you have another (Mahaffey) who could not even garner 10% of the vote from his home diocese of Western PA when they elected a bishop for that diocese earlier this year.

The winning candidate (+Melchizedek) was a monk who had been on Mt. Athos, amongst other places, so it was really no surprise that he won by a big margin. I don't see how this in any way reflects on Fr. David Mahaffey's ability to be a good bishop. We all would like to have pious monks fill every slot, but Fr. David is a caring, intelligent, and principled Orthodox priest and I suspect he would be a fine bishop.
I find it interesting after reading the biographies of the 3 candidates that one is a former Roman Catholic priest and the other 2 are widowers, one with children.
Originally Posted by Erie Byz
I find it interesting after reading the biographies of the 3 candidates that one is a former Roman Catholic priest and the other 2 are widowers, one with children.

And that only one is cradle Orthodox.
I think that if I were one of the delegates, I would find it difficult to decide based only on these three autobiographies.
And that only one is cradle Orthodox.

This will become common, not just here, but throughout the Orthodox world. As Bishop Kallistos (ooo-a convert!) said, the day is coming when no one will be an Orthodox Christian who does not consciously choose to be one.
No doubt that priest David is a good man. No one is stating otherwise. The problem lies much deeper, and really is at the core of all that is wrong with the American Metropolia. Why isn't there a pious monk to "fill every spot"? Bishops are drawn from the monastic clergy. Period. End of discussion. But what does one do when one has no monastic clergy? One is forced to look into oneself and see what is lacking. And in the case of the Metroplia, what is lacking is spiritual maturity. Not on an individual basis, but on a organizational one.
Let us look at the past leadership of the Metroplia.
The generation of the episcopate that was born in North America simply wanted, like the children of virtually all immigrants, to conform to the host-country, not wishing to stand out. (That is understandable, the USA especially is a very conformist country, no doubt because of its extremely narrow, Protestant culture).

It could be that many converts of the 60s and 70s never integrated the Russian Orthodox Tradition (they were not encouraged to do so) and preferred to think in their Protestant, conformist cultural conditioning. Therefore, they never abandoned the Tradition – they simply never had any Tradition to abandon. (An American Orthodox Tradition simply does not exist and it will not exist until there are American saints to give birth to it. The nearest we have so far is the ever-memorable Hieromonk Seraphim Rose, and he was not a member of the Metroplia and, as far as we know, God has not yet revealed him to be a saint to the Church).

The Metroplia's history has been one of stubbornness and self delusion. Twice the Metroplia came back to the canonical synod of bishops established after the Godless ones took over Rus, and twice they left to pursue their own agenda. Their very so called autocephaly was the result of backroom dealings with the communists and the betrayal of the Orthodox Church of Japan, and as a result, their autocephaly has not been recognized outside of the soviet sphere of influence. Now that the Godless ones are gone, they find themselves unsure as to where they stand. Moscow stands on the brink of revoking said autocephaly and at the same time, the current financial meltdown have taken the Metropolia to the brink of the abyss.

At the very core lies the kernel that all flows from. The Metroplia got it backwards. Instead of trying to convert America to an Orthodox mindset, it has repeatedly tried to Americanize Orthodoxy. And therein lies it's error.

So how do we fix it. Well, to start, the Metropolia needs to set aside the their coveted so called autocephaly. Rejoin the Russian Church. Work alongside ROCOR in setting up English speaking monasteries. Establish pockets of Orthodox mindset throughout North America. Return to the Orthodox Calendar and Traditions. Disassociate itself from the congregationalist mindset of many within it's ranks. Return to it's roots and recognize that the past 80 years were a failed experiment but a good learning experience. Grow in maturity under the eye of the Mother Church, and when the time is ripe for American Orthodoxy to be, it will. Mature, ascetic and God pleasing.

Alexandr
Dear Alexander,

What gives you the impression that the Moscow Patriarchate would welcome the "return" of the Metropolia?

Fr. Serge
Return to the Orthodox Calendar and Traditions.

I see that the calendar has the same talismanic fascination for Orthodox traditionalists that Latin does for Roman traditionalists. If the OCA has the kind of problems indicated, it will take more than moving Nativity to 7 January to fix them.

Disassociate itself from the congregationalist mindset of many within it's ranks.

Alas! It does not matter who runs the Orthodox Church in America, because, well, it's a Church full of, um, Americans, not Russians. And just as Russia has a culture, so America has a culture as well. Samuel Huntington's observation about American Catholics ("Protestants who love Mary and the Mass") could hold just as true for American Orthodox (Protestants who love the Theotokos and the Divine Liturgy). Merely moving the OCA back under the omophorion of the Patriarchate will not alleviate problems that are cultural in nature. All it will do is drive many American Orthodox into another jurisdiction.
Originally Posted by Slavipodvizhnik
Why isn't there a pious monk to "fill every spot"? Bishops are drawn from the monastic clergy. Period. End of discussion.

All of the OCA's bishops today are from the monastic clergy. Now, some non-monastic candidates are put up for a new diocese, and this suddenly represents a deep systemic problem in the entire OCA? Please.

It could be that many converts of the 60s and 70s never integrated the Russian Orthodox Tradition (they were not encouraged to do so) and preferred to think in their Protestant, conformist cultural conditioning. Therefore, they never abandoned the Tradition – they simply never had any Tradition to abandon.

If what you're saying is true, then the OCA today should look and feel a lot like a Protestant church, what with all the crypto-Protestants flowing in, the conformism, and the lack of Tradition. Whatever the problems of earlier decades- and they were considerable- they did not bereave the OCA of its tradition and I would say that the OCA is becoming increasingly grounded in Orthodox tradition. The talk of an American Protestant mindset has some truth to it, but it can only go so far before it just becomes mystification and caricature.

Moscow stands on the brink of revoking said autocephaly

Evidence?

and at the same time, the current financial meltdown have taken the Metropolia to the brink of the abyss.

The abyss? Really? I mean, it was pretty bad, but... the abyss? What is the abyss anyway?

It's fun to make epic and ominous generalizations but it's not going to be very meaningful for folks who actually live through the events being described.

At the very core lies the kernel that all flows from. The Metroplia got it backwards. Instead of trying to convert America to an Orthodox mindset, it has repeatedly tried to Americanize Orthodoxy. And therein lies it's error.

I'd be curious to hear some recent, specific examples of this backwards practice.

The OCA has its problems but revoking autocephaly won't fix any of them. It would simply increase the jurisdictional chaos in North America.

Work alongside ROCOR in setting up English speaking monasteries. Establish pockets of Orthodox mindset throughout North America.

I'd like a closer cooperation with ROCOR too, but we already have English-speaking monasteries. We already have pockets of Orthodox mindset.

The calendar is a problem, but it's not a particularly American one.

I see that the calendar has the same talismanic fascination for Orthodox traditionalists that Latin does for Roman traditionalists. If the OCA has the kind of problems indicated, it will take more than moving Nativity to 7 January to fix them.
Dear Stuart,

It is precisely those who reduce the Calendar question to the issue of celebrating Christmas on "7 January" who misunderstand the whole issue of the Calendar. The Calendar is an integrated whole of 365/6 days and how they interact with the Paschal Cycle with the Typikon that is the issue. The liturgical calendar is the way that we live our life in Christ in union with his body. The Nativity of Christ is not, and never has been, celebrated on the 7th of January. Those who think so, even if they call themselves "Old Calendarists" are far from the Orthodox Tradition. The fact that we celebrate the Dormition of the Theotokos of the Most-Holy Mother of God tomorrow is just as important as the fact that we observe 25 December when you are observing the Synaxis of St John the Baptist.

Fr David Straut
OK, we are getting off-topic here by bringing in issues that have nothing to do with the topic or the original post. If you would like to start another calendar thread which can go with all the others, please do so in the appropriate area of the forum. The same would go for issues regarding the OCA and the Moscow Patriachate vis-a-vis the tomos of autocephaly.

In IC XC,
Father Anthony+
Administrator
Sorry Father Anthony!

I need to restrain myself when confronted with one of my pet peeves: the Christmas/January 7th thing. Let's stay on topic.

On the topic itself, I'm an observer rather than a participant. In The Russian Church Abroad, our Bishops are elected by our Council of Bishops, not by a Diocesan Assembly. So this whole process the the OCA Diocese of New York & New Jersey is something I can't identify with. I do think it important for our Bishops to be monastics.

Fr David Straut

I do think it important for our Bishops to be monastics.

As do I. I think, though, for a lot of jurisdictions, including the Greek Catholic Churches in this country, it will be quite a while before the ideal matches the reality.

Let's also be frank and admit that the rules were bent frequently in the Old Country, with widowed priests taking monastic vows only at the last minute before ordination to bishop. There are also instances of married priests and their wives both taking monastic vows so that the husband could become eligible for the episcopate. And, of course, some of the greatest of the Orthodox bishops, like Photios the Great, weren't monastics or even clerics when they were selected for the episcopate. With Christ all things are possible. And Imperial patronage is almost as good.
We can now listen to audio interviews with the three official candidates here [nynjoca.org].

I think all three candidates make a good impression. Fr. Michael Dahulich is obviously a fine scholar, but at times seems a bit vague. Fr. David Brum is the best speaker, but his comments seem a bit too bland at times. If I had a vote in this matter I would tend to go for Fr. David Mahaffey, who seems to be more clear about the need for change and reform than the other two candidates.
Are they campaigning or something? Whatever happened to reticence?
Are they campaigning or something? Whatever happened to reticence?
Exactly! But how can one have an election without somehow getting to know the candidates?
I mean, this is America. How can you have an election without an election campaign? It's part of the culture.
I say, vote for the guy who, when his name is raised, runs off to a cave in the desert somewhere and refuses to come out, and who must, literally, be dragged to his own ordination. Beware the guy who wants it badly enough to say so.

In World War II, Germany's highest award was the Knight's Cross, worn on a ribbon around the neck. Guys who too obviously were chasing after it were said to have "throat ache". It seems a Panagia can have the same effect.
I say, vote for the guy who, when his name is raised, runs off to a cave in the desert somewhere and refuses to come out, and who must, literally, be dragged to his own ordination. Beware the guy who wants it badly enough to say so.
[...]
This is of course received wisdom. Beware the man who puts himself forward for episcopal office. I know a monastery which is jokingly and self-deprecatingly said to have more episcopal vocations than monastic ones... Perhaps a widowed priest would not be such a bad choice after all?
Or a qualified single deacon, or a qualified lay monastic. Nothing says a bishop has to come from the ranks of the presbyterate, or even from the clergy itself.
Actually the CCEO Canon 180 requires a bishop candidate to be at least 35, a presbyter for at least five years, not married, possess a doctorate or licentiate in some sacred science or at least be an expert in it in addition to good faith morals and reputation.
The CCEO is not an Orthodox document...

I've heard the same said by others. However, I've also read this:

"The saying is sure: If any one aspires to the office of bishop, he desires a noble task." (1 Timothy 3:1, RSV--emphasis mine)

If someone can discern a vocation to the diaconate, the priesthood, or the monastic life, why can't an individual have a calling to the episcopacy?

Dave
Stuart is right, I think.

Qualifications
a. The candidate for the office of diocesan bishop must satisfy all the requirements of the Holy Canons pertaining to this highest of all ecclesiastical offices. In addition, it is preferable that he have completed a course of study in a Graduate School of Orthodox Theology and that he be conversant in the English language.
b. If he is not already a bishop, he can be nominated only from among the monastic or celibate clergy or laymen;
c. If at the moment of his nomination he is a layman or a celibate or widowed priest, he shall pronounce at least the first monastic vows (rasophoria).
d. Diocesan bishops of the Orthodox Church in America shall not be candidates for nomination by the Diocesan Assembly of another diocese.
Source
Article VI, Section 9, of the Statute of the OCA [oca.org]
Beware of anyone who "WANTS" to become a bishop. Grounds for committal if you ask me.

Alexandr Grozny
The Extraordinary Diocesan Assembly for the election of the new Bishop of New York and New Jersey (OCA) met today.

According to OCANews.org [ocanews.org], Fr. David Brum has withdrawn his candidacy. A motion to postpone the election was defeated by 56 votes to 42. Of the two remaining candidates, Fr. Michael Dahulich received 55 votes and Fr. David Mahaffey 35 votes, with eight abstentions. Neither candidate having received a two-thirds majority, both names are forwarded to the Holy Synod of the OCA for the final selection.
Seems like the Metropolia is now governed by a website instead of a synod!

Alexandr
I suppose it might sound that way if one relied solely on the internet to understand these things.
Mark Stokoe and OCANews.org wanted the vote postponed. That didn't happen. So I guess the members of the Extraordinary Diocesan Assembly showed they were able to make up their own minds and were not governed by a website.
And here's the official version of events:

CLIFTON, NJ -- The Diocese of New York and New Jersey of the Orthodox Church in America held an Extraordinary Diocesan Assembly at the Church of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin here on Monday, August 31, 2009.

His Beatitude, Metropolitan Jonah, locum tenens of the diocese, presided.

The extraordinary assembly was convened to nominate a candidate for diocesan bishop, whose name would be forwarded to the OCA's Holy Synod of Bishops for consideration in a canonical election.

During the assembly, the delegates discussed a motion to postpone the selection of a candidate until later in the year. This motion was defeated in a 56/42 vote, and the election was allowed to proceed.

Initially, three possible candidates had been proposed by the Diocesan Episcopal Search Committee: the Very Revs. David Brum, Michael Dahulich, and David Mahaffey. By joint decisions, Father David Brum withdrew his name. Fathers Michael and David were nominated. Other names were brought forward, but the nominees declined. The delegates voted on the proposed candidates.

The Assembly cast 55 votes for Father Michael and 33 votes for Father David. Ten votes were deemed invalid.

The Assembly suspended the rules of a second ballot and, according to election procedures, will submit both names to the Holy Synod for consideration in their election of a hierarch for the Diocese of New York and New Jersey.
Source
Extraordinary Diocesan Assembly [nynjoca.org], Diocese of New York and New Jersey, Aug. 31, 2009
And it's official (source [oca.org]).

OCA Holy Synod of Bishops elects Archpriest Michael Dahulich Bishop of New York and the Diocese of New York and New Jersey

SYOSSET, NY [OCA Communications] - On Tuesday, September 22, 2009, the Holy Synod of Bishops of the Orthodox Church in America, meeting at its regular Fall Session at the OCA Chancery, elected Archpriest Michael Dahulich Bishop of New York and the Diocese of New York and New Jersey.

Archpriest Michael Dahulich was born in Johnson City, NY, on August 29, 1950. From the age of 10 until he graduated from college and went to seminary, he served as an altar boy under the tutelage of his pastor, Fr. Stephen Dutko, who was the inspiration for his vocation.

He graduated from Binghamton Central High School in 1967. Two years later he graduated from Broome Community College, Binghamton, NY, and began studies at Christ the Saviour Seminary in Johnstown, PA. He completed his theological studies there in December 1972.

While in seminary, Michael met Deborah Sandak. They were married in January 1973. On Feburay 3, 1973, Michael was ordained to the Diaconate, and on February 4 to the Priesthood, in the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of the USA. Later that month Fr. Michael and Matushka Deborah assumed their first parish assignment at Saints Peter and Paul Church in Homer City, PA, a small mission community that had not previously had a full time priest. Two days after beginning this assignment, Matushka Deborah was killed in a car accident.

Following the death of his wife, Fr. Michael was encouraged to pursue further studies. He attended St. Vincent College in Latrobe, PA, graduating with a degree in Philosophy, and Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, graduating with a Master of Arts in Theology and later a Ph.D. in Theology.

Fr. Michael continued to serve Saints Peter and Paul Church for 13 years, seeing it grow from 60 to more than 130 members, and from mission to parish status.

For 16 years he served as pastor of Holy Ghost Church in Phoenixville, PA, during which time the parish grew from 256 to nearly 450 members, including more than 100 children.

In addition to his pastoral duties, Fr. Michael served as Prefect of Student Life at Christ the Saviour Seminary, where he also taught Ethics, Scripture and Homiletics. During his Ph.D. studies at Duquesne, he was also adjunct lecturer, teaching Scripture and Eastern Orthodoxy in the Theology Department.

Fr. Michael also served in the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of the USA as Religious Education Director for the Johnstown Deanery and the Associate Editor of "The Church Messenger," the official diocesan periodical. Additionally he was personal secretary to His Grace, Bishop John, Vice-Chancellor of the Diocese and Secretary to His Grace, Bishop [now Metropolitan] Nicholas of Amissos.

Additionally, Fr. Michael was Dean of the Carpatho-Russian Diocese's Mid-Atlantic Deanery, Vice-Chairman of the Harvest 2000 Committee on Missions, Evangelization and Diocesan Growth, and served on the Study and Planning Commission and the Ecumenical Commission of SCOBA. He was also editor of the diocesan prayerbook, "Come To Me."

In 1993, Fr. Michael was invited to teach at St. Tikhon's Seminary in South Canaan, PA, where he has served on the faculty to this day. In 2001, he was released from the Carpatho-Russian Diocese and received into the Orthodox Church in America, serving full-time at St. Tikhon's Seminary. He was first Administrative Dean and later Dean, as well as working as Director of Recruitment, Development and Fundraising at the school.

Fr. Michael was part of the team that earned national accreditation for St. Tikhon's Seminary from the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada and helped work on a revised curriculum for the Seminary's Master of Divinity program. He has served as editor of "The Tikhonaire," "The Spirit of St. Tikhon's," "By the Waters," and "St. Tikhon's Theological Journal." Fr. Michael also teaches New Testament, Old Testament, Homiletics, Pastoral Theology, and Ethics.

In other work, Fr. Michael served as a member of the Board of Theological Education of the Orthodox Church in America, OCA representative to the National Advisory Board of the American Bible Society, a member, and former National Secretary, of the Orthodox Theological Society of America, and a member of the Advisory Board of the Orthodox Christian Association of Medicine, Psychology and Religion [OCAMPR].

The Holy Synod of Bishops has announced that the consecration of Bishop-elect Michael will take palce shortly after the New Year. Further details will be announced as they become available.
But why do they say "Bishop of New York and the Diocese of New York and New Jersey"? Isn't that rather clumsy? Why not just plain "Bishop of New York"?
Also, why wait over three months for the consecration? It seems a bit slow, doesn't it?
If you were from New Jersey, you'd understand.
That's not an exactly helpful comment frown

Remember there are many of us here who do not come from the USA .

People feel left out unless their turf is included in titles. Look at the diocese I live in: Altoona-Johnstown.
Remember there are many of us here who do not come from the USA .

OK. Suppose diocese included Glasgow and Greenock. If you lived in Greenock, how would you feel if it was known only as the Diocese of Glasgow?
But it is known only as the Archdiocese of Glasgow.
I've been in Greenock. I can see why.
Greenock is no worse than many other places . How about Motherwell - which is a diocese ?

This sort of comment is stupid and does nothing to enhance the thread
This is now well off topic! Time to close.
© The Byzantine Forum