www.byzcath.org
Posted By: Percy Gryce World meeting of Russian Catholics - 03/07/17 03:46 AM
http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/new...lics-hailed-as-last-hurrah-for-movement/
Posted By: Percy Gryce Re: World meeting of Russian Catholics - 03/07/17 05:42 PM
Does anyone have any information on registering or attending the meeting?
Wow, I did not know about this until now! Thank you for posting this!

I wish I could attend. Years ago, I attended a Russian Catholic "synod" of the then 3 Russian Catholic parishes of the USA (NY, LA, SF) during the Melkite Convention in Los Angeles during the 1990's. Discussion included petitioning Rome for a Russian Catholic vicariate. Unfortunately, nothing happened.

Kudos to Fr. Lawrence for organizing this congress. It would be such a tragedy if the Russian Byzantine Catholic Church ceased to exist.

Yes, it is a tiny community compared to other Eastern Catholic Churches, but their fidelity to the liturgical traditions of the Russian Church is beyond compare.

Originally Posted by Percy Gryce
Does anyone have any information on registering or attending the meeting?

I recommend contacting Fr. Lawrence for more information: https://www.stnich.org/contact

I'm curious to know why it's taking place in Bergamo, Italy.

BTW, the Catholic Herald version of Natasha Marsh's article is abridged. You can read the full article (with pictures) here: https://www.catholicweekly.com.au/orthodoxy-russian-catholic-way/

Holy Hieromartyr Leonid, pray for us and the prosperity of the Russian Greek Catholic Church!
It's being held at the Centro Russia Cristiana in Seriate, outside Bergamo. This is the villa put at the disposal of the late Fr. Romano Scalfaro.
Posted By: KO63AP Re: World meeting of Russian Catholics - 04/09/17 12:38 PM
I am glad they are looking at the future of their Church. But I'm slightly disappointed they're turning to Rome for an exarch, rather than to Metropolitan Andrei's successor in Kyiv.

Russian Catholics: Challenging the Stereotypes [risu.org.ua]
The response has been so great that Fr. Lawrence had to secure a new venue: it is now to take place on the southwestern shore of Lake Garda, in Benaco. To the best of my knowledge it is open only to Russian Catholic priests and deacons, though the Russian Catholic subdeacon from NYC is attending as press officer -- that's his secular occupation.
Posted By: Three Cents Re: World meeting of Russian Catholics - 04/23/17 01:30 AM
Our Lady of Kazan in South Boston was perhaps the most beautiful chapel I have ever been in. It will always be a part of me!
Closed because of the avaricious rapacity of the Latin pastor of the site: "We need the space for bingo!"
The hypothetical application to Rome for an exarch rather than to our mother church in Kiev may be due to the fact that Kiev has no (recognized) jurisdiction outside its canonical territory. The reason why (Patriarch Saint) Andrew Sheptytskyy was able to create the Russian exarchate (in Russia) was due to the fact that one of his titles was that of Kamenets-Podolsk which was inside the Russian Empire. Pope Pius X himself recognized this right. ("Utere iure tuo.")I believe that the exarchate of Harbin was a creation of the Holy See, though. Please understand that I wish that the Eastern (Catholic) Patriarchs had jurisdiction wherever they had sufficient faithful but so far the Colonial Office recognizes no such solution. When this issue was raised at the Vatican one Patriarch was told that it was impossible since that would give him universal jurisdiction (!). I told our Patriarch next time to remind his eminence of the Military Archdioceses of the U.S.A., Great Britain and Spain -- all three of which have exclusive jurisdiction wherever they have subjects! I guess in the Animal Farm Church some pigs are more equal than others! Jus' sayin'!
Posted By: Messdiener Re: World meeting of Russian Catholics - 05/01/17 03:34 AM
Originally Posted by Economos Roman V. Russo
The hypothetical application to Rome for an exarch rather than to our mother church in Kiev may be due to the fact that Kiev has no (recognized) jurisdiction outside its canonical territory. The reason why (Patriarch Saint) Andrew Sheptytskyy was able to create the Russian exarchate (in Russia) was due to the fact that one of his titles was that of Kamenets-Podolsk which was inside the Russian Empire. Pope Pius X himself recognized this right. ("Utere iure tuo.")I believe that the exarchate of Harbin was a creation of the Holy See, though. Please understand that I wish that the Eastern (Catholic) Patriarchs had jurisdiction wherever they had sufficient faithful but so far the Colonial Office recognizes no such solution. When this issue was raised at the Vatican one Patriarch was told that it was impossible since that would give him universal jurisdiction (!). I told our Patriarch next time to remind his eminence of the Military Archdioceses of the U.S.A., Great Britain and Spain -- all three of which have exclusive jurisdiction wherever they have subjects! I guess in the Animal Farm Church some pigs are more equal than others! Jus' sayin'!

How does this work in places like, say, Australia or Western Europe when UGCC or other Eastern Churches set up missions, parishes, and eparchies? Must they ask permission from Rome each and every time before establishing something?
Here in Australia the UGCC at first needed the consent of the local Latin bishop to work with Ukrainians in their diocese. When The Exarchate was created each of the Latin hierarchs of the county & New Zealand had to sign away jurisdiction to the Exarch. After that the Exarch opened and closed places at will. The Exarchate was upgraded to Eparchy some time ago.
Originally Posted by Three Cents
Our Lady of Kazan in South Boston was perhaps the most beautiful chapel I have ever been in. It will always be a part of me!
Are there any photographs available that can be posted? The only image online is this one, which is not the best:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Protopappas76 Re: World meeting of Russian Catholics - 06/08/17 04:31 AM
"I guess in the Animal Farm Church some pigs are more equal than others! Jus' sayin'!"

Amen! Amen! and Amen!
Posted By: Nelson Chase Re: World meeting of Russian Catholics - 06/08/17 10:42 PM
Quote
I told our Patriarch next time to remind his eminence of the Military Archdioceses of the U.S.A., Great Britain, and Spain -- all three of which have exclusive jurisdiction wherever they have subjects!

Not to mention the Prelate of Opus Dei.
Posted By: likethethief Re: World meeting of Russian Catholics - 06/12/17 04:18 AM
We've posted on the Our Lady of Fatima Russian Byzantine Catholic Church Facebook [facebook.com] a number of "shared" photos from the Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress in San Felipe del Benaco, Italy, June 6-9, 2017, as well as all the articles we've came across. You don't have to be logged into Facebook to access this content.

Unfortunately as new posts go up on the news feed these will begin to get buried smile You already have to scroll down quite a bit to see June 9th, 8th, and 7th where they were posted.

I've also posted two photos in the photo gallery here, one of the group at the Congress, and one of the Deacons of our Russian Church there. Photos here can take a little time to show.
Posted By: Nelson Chase Re: World meeting of Russian Catholics - 06/13/17 03:11 AM
I think the Patriarch of Kiev should consecrate an exarch for the Russian Catholic Church. Kiev is the mother Church of Rus, so she should come to aid of the Russian Greek Catholics. I learned in the Army that it is better to ask for forgiveness than to be told no. So, why ask Rome if she will just say no? Let's just do it!
Posted By: KO63AP Re: World meeting of Russian Catholics - 06/13/17 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Nelson Chase
I think the Patriarch of Kiev should consecrate an exarch for the Russian Catholic Church. Kiev is the mother Church of Rus, so she should come to aid of the Russian Greek Catholics. I learned in the Army that it is better to ask for forgiveness than to be told no. So, why ask Rome if she will just say no? Let's just do it!

Amen!
Posted By: likethethief Re: World meeting of Russian Catholics - 06/13/17 07:35 PM
Resolutions of the Russian Greek-Catholic Church Congress [portal-credo.ru] held at San Felice del Benaco, Italy, June 6-9, 2017 English Version
Thank you, likethethief, for the info.

How I wish I could have been there! I am very happy to see that the congress was successful and that more such gatherings will take place.

I noticed in the group photo that not all Russian Greek Catholic (RGC) priests attended. Father Alexei Smith, pastor of Saint Andrew RGC Church in El Segundo, CA, was supposed to attend and chair some of the meetings but the parish was the victim of a recent robbery when someone broke into the parish safe and stole funds. Thus, Father Alexei could not go. frown (Details here. [facebook.com])

I'm happy to see Fr. Sergey Golovanov was present. I had been wondering how he was doing after Rome declared invalid the decisons of the 2004 Russian Catholic council in which he was declared administrator for the RGC Exarchate in Russia.

The Wall Street Journal has an article about the congress. You need a subscription to read it on their website, but you can read the entire article on RISU: link. [risu.org.ua]

Background info on the 2004 RGC council: link. [www2.stetson.edu]

Rome invalidates decision of 2004 council: link. [www2.stetson.edu]



© The Byzantine Forum