www.byzcath.org
I was wondering if anyone knew if there were differences in the various traditions (Slavic, Greek, Syriac) between the monastic and the secular types of skoufia. Does anyone have any links or information that could explain the differences?

In ICXC,

Gordo
Here are a few sample images of skoufias...

http://www.istok.net/church-supplies/skyfiyas/

http://users.sisqtel.net/cse/apparel/clerical.html

http://www.holytransfigurationmonastery.com/

So, related to my question, is this a standard clerical skoufia (worn say by a parish priest)...

[Linked Image]

and is this one a monastic skoufia (worn by monks):

[Linked Image]

Or, does it not matter? I have seen monastics with the cross embroidered on the front, but not parish clergy. My priest and I were having discussions on skoufias the other day. It is rare that I have seen them used at all!

(Although certainly more frequently than the Latin Biretta, which is virtually extinct as a species of clerical vestiture.)

[Linked Image]

Just curious...

In ICXC,

Gordo
By the way, is there any meaning for the skoufos?
Posted By: Matta Re: Skoufia - Monastic and Secular Differences - 04/23/08 07:22 PM
A couple of our Melkite priests were them, as do some of the Antiochian Orthodox.
In Australia--as often in the Middle East--one needs to protect oneself from the sun. smile
Monastics wear the skoufia and kamilavka with veil. I believe the cross is restricted to monastics.

Among the Greek married clergy, the skoufia/kamilavka is worn without restiction. The Greek skoufia is pictured above.

Among the Slav married clergy, the black skoufia can be worn by all, the black kamilvka is worn by no married cleric, the purple skoufia and kamilavka are awards. The thread below has quite a complete discussion:
https://www.byzcath.org/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/78645/fpart/1
Thank you, Father Deacon Lance! Very interesting. As always, you are a great source of information!

As to the sun in Australia, I can see the need for that in the Southland of the US too. Priests rarely are able to keep their hair intact or at all (blame it in us parishioners!) and need protection from the elements.

As to protection from parishioners, I'm afraid they're on their own! grin

Plus, it sort of tops off (literally) the whole clerical accoutrement.

In ICXC,

Gordo

PS: Of course, we can add deacons to that list as well.
Other people wear hats; why shouldn't we?

Fr. Serge
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher

Fr. Serge

True enough!

[Linked Image]

Gordo
lol

But at least here in Brazil no one wears hats anymore, despite of the exaggerated heat.
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher

But so few do . . . personally, I were a full western hat. I'm amazed that so few people here in Las Vegas where them.

Then again, family history says that my pale Irish skin has plenty of cancers in my future. I started wearing the full hat whenever I stepped outside sometime in my late 20's (even just to grab the paper), and now put a 50spf on my hands and face before going out.

dochawk, who inexplicably drives a convertible with the top down about 360 days a year
Originally Posted by dochawk
dochawk, who inexplicably drives a convertible with the top down about 360 days a year

What's so inexplicable about that?!?

[Linked Image]

cool Gordo
Originally Posted by ebed melech
Originally Posted by dochawk

What's so inexplicable about that?!?

That I'm a borderline heliophobe over the cancer, yet I drive in the desert iwith it open. grin

[Linked Image]

Except that my plates, of course, read "DOCHAWK"
(and that silver disk behind the front wheel shouldn't be there. And I don't know how to tell from the body that that's a GT, if it is . . .)
hawk, the convertible-driving heliophobe who doesn't really fit it with the top up, and has to take off his boots while driving
OH yeeeaaaahhhhh! bowbow...chickichickaaaahhhhh, chickichickaaaahhhhh!!!

Ferris Bueller fans will understand and appreciate!

Now, if only we had a picture of a priest with his skoufia in that thing! From 0 to eternity in 3.5 seconds...

wink Gordo, who is craving a little wind in what is left of his hair
© The Byzantine Forum