www.byzcath.org
Prairie Fest at Restored Prairie in Homer Glen

We attend a church in Homer Glen that has restored a 6-acre prairie around the church and has won several local, state, and national awards over the last few years. We are now going to celebrate the prairie with a Prairie Fest on Saturday, August 16, from 11 am to 7 pm and wish to invite all of you to join us. Our church is the Annunciation Byzantine Catholic Church, 14610 Will-Cook Road, Homer Glen, IL. Our website is www.byzantinecatholic.com. [byzantinecatholic.com.] We will have food, games, and tours of the grounds and of the very unique church. It will be a fun day for the entire family. I will be one of the docents leading tours and engaging people in discussions of our growing vision for land and water conservation.

In addition, we will feature the Harvest Moon Band from noon-3 pm; Paul Baran Master Accordian from 3-4 pm; and Carl Linden and the Royal String Artists from 4-7 pm.

For further information, post here, contact the church at AnnuncByzChurch@aol.com, phone us at 708-645-0241, or send me an email: Laufferc266@sbcglobal.net

Carson D. Lauffer
Sounds like a yummy time!
I can smell the cabbage rolls and keilbasa cooking now biggrin
If you want to go to a real "prairie fest" try visiting the "khram" of a rural Ukrainian Orthodox parish on the prairies.
People come from hundreds and even thousands of miles away once a year for this to visit the area and home church of where their ancestors first settled in Canada from 1891 to 1914. During these years 200,000 Ukrainians emigrated to the Canadian prairies and settled in block settlements.
The liturgies with everyone singing and going to communion are fantastic.
CDL,
Congrats! I pray that God blesses your efforts! A wonderful idea too!
It sounds like a wonderful idea. I hope the prairie does not get trampled by the huge horde of visitors.

Halia12, were you referring to the Dormition Pilgrimage at Cook's Creek, Manitoba?

http://pilgrimage.homestead.com/
There may be a huge horde but this is our first event.

The Cook's Creek Pilgrimage looks glorious. Maybe we will someday have something like that but we are just a little acorn and they are a big oak. Then again you know what little acorns sometimes become.

CDL
Originally Posted by Halia12
...try visiting the "khram" of a rural Ukrainian Orthodox parish on the prairies.
People come from hundreds and even thousands of miles away once a year for this to visit the area and home church of where their ancestors first settled in Canada from 1891 to 1914. During these years 200,000 Ukrainians emigrated to the Canadian prairies and settled in block settlements.
The liturgies with everyone singing and going to communion are fantastic.

This sounds wonderful - I'm also wondering if it's the Cooks Creek pilgrimage as mentioned in a subsequent posting. Big and small can both be real and good!

Your posting reminded me of a St Thomas festival I once attended in South Bound Brook, NJ at the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Center. People were busing in from all over the US and Canada. Quite a wonderful event!

Must get to Cooks Creek & Homer Glen!

S Bohom!
-Pustinik
----------------
"Acquire a peaceful spirit, and thousands around you will be saved." �St. Serafim of Sarov
***BUMP***

It's getting close, folks! Saturday, August 16.
The contribution to get in is only $5. It's going to be fun.

CDL
It was fun. More importantly we gave a small glimpse of Eastern Christianity to thousands of people. We made a few miscues but not many. The prairie tours and the Church tours were most helpful and about 10 new people came to liturgy this Sunday as a result of our efforts. It's a start and it was a lot of fun.

CDL
© The Byzantine Forum