www.byzcath.org
Posted By: Predanije Americans converting to ROCOR - 08/21/09 01:17 AM
I am curious if any natural born Americans who have converted to Orthodoxy in the ROCOR jurisdiction would share their expierences. I am a Byzantine Catholic very much attracted to ROCOR (not that I sense myself called to conversion) and was curious what it is like to be a convert into that jurisdiction. Where I live in Minnesota ROCOR seems to be primarily new immigrant ethnic Russians and some disgruntled formers OCAers.
Posted By: Slavipodvizhnik Re: Americans converting to ROCOR - 08/31/09 02:54 AM
The former priest of the Slovak Greek Catholic Church in Toronto became a Rassaphor monk in Jordanville about 20 years ago. I believe his name is now Fr. Jeremiah. He was Canadian born of I believe Slovak/Croatian lineage.

Alexandr
Posted By: StuartK Re: Americans converting to ROCOR - 08/31/09 09:48 AM
The pastor of the Church of Our Lady in Philadelphia is a former Jesuit, Father Athanasy. He has been pastor there for many years and is deeply loved and respected. A considerable number of the younger members of his parish are converts.
Posted By: asianpilgrim Re: Americans converting to ROCOR - 08/31/09 03:23 PM
The late Archimandrite Anastassy (Newcomb) was an Irish-American Catholic convert to ROCOR:

http://sarabitus.blogspot.com/2007/01/archimandrite-anastassy-newcomb.html
Posted By: Latin Catholic Re: Americans converting to ROCOR - 08/31/09 04:42 PM
It is also worth noting Bishop Jerome (Shaw), Bishop of Manhattan and Vicar of the ROCOR Archdiocese of New York and Eastern America. He comes from an old New England family.

Speech of Archimandrite Jerome (Shaw) [russianorthodoxchurch.ws] At the Nomination Service On the Eve of His Consecration as Bishop of Manhattan.
Posted By: asianpilgrim Re: Americans converting to ROCOR - 08/31/09 06:17 PM
Add to the list Fr. Seraphim Rose (born Methodist) and Bishop George of Mayfield (former Catholic).
Posted By: Hieromonk Ambrose Re: Americans converting to ROCOR - 09/01/09 01:26 PM
Also Fr Archimandrite Joasaph (formerly Francis McLellan, Professor at Princeton) who is currently in charge of the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission in the Holy Land (ROCOR)
Posted By: asianpilgrim Re: Americans converting to ROCOR - 09/12/09 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Hieromonk Ambrose
Also Fr Archimandrite Joasaph (formerly Francis McLellan, Professor at Princeton) who is currently in charge of the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission in the Holy Land (ROCOR)

What was his affiliation formerly?
Posted By: asianpilgrim Re: Americans converting to ROCOR - 09/12/09 07:01 PM
The soon-to-be OCA Bishop of Quebec City, Irenee (Rochon), is a former Catholic who initially converted to Orthodoxy via ROCOR.

Yes, he's Canadian, not really American, but you do share the same continent don't you? smile
© The Byzantine Forum