www.byzcath.org
Posted By: KC St. John the Apostle's Relics - 09/01/05 05:14 PM
Does anyone know the status of the location of St. John's Relics?

I was reading that he died and was buried in Ephesus (now in Turkey). Early Christians build a church over his burial site which Muslims converted to a mosque which is now abandonded and in disrepair. If this is true, would the Orthodox Church in Antioch have jurisdiction over this site? Does anyone? Have there been any successful East/West efforts to make available to Christians holy sites in Turkey?

Does anyone know if there are photos of St. John's burial site?

Thanks
Kevin
Posted By: Pani Rose Re: St. John the Apostle's Relics - 09/01/05 09:43 PM
Hey Kevin,

I am sure someone will have the info but...

Did some searching and found these state-side

United States

Relic: Over 2000 relics, including some of all 12 Apostles and 24 of the 33 Doctors of the Church
Where: St. John Cantius Parish, 825 North Carpenter Street Chicago, Illinois 60622-5405, Phone: 312-243-7373

Relic: Practically every Saint who's ever lived
Where: At St. Mary's Academy, there's a Relic Chapel that contains an incredible amount of first class relics (though no major tombs or shrines). The address is: St. Mary's Academy & College, 200 E. Mission Street, St. Marys, KS 66536

Relic: St. Elizabeth Ann Seton
Where: Seton Shrine Chapel, Emmitsburg, Frederick County, Maryland

Relic: St. Frances Cabrini
Where: St. Frances Cabrini Shrine, 701 Fort Washington Avenue, New York City, New York

Where: Another Relic Chapel like that of St. Mary's Academy in Kansas (no major tombs or shrines) is the Maria Stein Center. The address is: 2291 St. Johns Road, Maria Stein, Ohio 45860, (419) 925-4532

Relic: St. John Neumann
Where: National Shrine of Saint John Neumann, 1019 North Fifth Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19123

Where: Another Relic Chapel -- the largest in the United States -- is St. Anthony's Chapel in the Most Holy Name of Jesus parish. The address is: 1700 Harpster St., Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (Troy Hill).
http://www.kensmen.com/catholic/relics.html

A White Girdle of St. John the Evangelist, which he gave to Blessed St. Mary (the Virgin).
A Small Part of the Skull of St. Thomas the Apostle
Part of One Candle of the Blessed Virgin (Mary).
http://www.berkshirehistory.com/churches/winrelic.html
Posted By: Orthodox Catholic Re: St. John the Apostle's Relics - 09/02/05 12:59 PM
Dear Kevin,

In fact, the Eastern Church celebrates the bodily translation into heaven of St John the Theologian.

According to the deuterocanonical book about his life, John was brought to the grave that is now at Ephesus by his disciples and left there alive with the stone covering it.

In the morning they came back, moved the stone and found the tomb empty.

When his feast is celebrated around his tomb, a gentle breeze envelopes the worshippers carrying small, sparkling particles in the air.

One may go on a tour of Ephesus and see St John's grave which has a low railing around it.

Alex
Posted By: KC Re: St. John the Apostle's Relics - 09/02/05 02:00 PM
Alex,

Thank you. That is such a beautiful and fitting legacy for St. John as compared to the forgotten and ruined site I was imagining.

I've never heard of the tradition that St. John was assumed.

The Orthodox and EC awareness of the sacred in the material world (everything from Icons to "a gentle breeze ... carrying small sparkling particles in the air") is so enlightening. At times, you must feel as if you have hightened senses as compared to others around you.

Thanks again
Kevin
Posted By: Orthodox Catholic Re: St. John the Apostle's Relics - 09/02/05 05:13 PM
Dear Kevin,

Yes, that can be a real problem for me sometimes! smile smile

Have a great weekend!

Alex
Posted By: Zenovia Re: St. John the Apostle's Relics - 09/04/05 03:24 AM
"Yes, that can be a real problem for me sometimes!"

Yeah right Alex!!!! Just joking!

What I would like to know though, is why is it said that only our Theotokos was taken bodily into heaven...or am I mistaken? I think that Gregory Palamas made a distinction between the taking up of prophet Elias and the Theotokos. He said, (or so I believe), that Prophet Elias was taken as far as the 'firmament' of this world, not into the heavenly realm.

What is the situation with Saint John?

Zenovia
Posted By: Three Cents Re: St. John the Apostle's Relics - 09/04/05 01:09 PM
The Patriarchate of St. John the Apostle is Constantinople. Both Ephesus and Patmos are (theoretically for the former and actually for the latter) under Patriarch Bartholomew's jursidiction. Only a small part of Turkey around the ancient city of Antioch is under Patriarch Ignatius.

In front of the New Edition of Timothy Ware's "The Orthodox Church" is a map of the current Orthodox Churches and their canonical boundaries. Some border areas are disputed but they generally correspond to the national boundaries in Europe (but obviously not so for Africa and Asia). For the Patmos story see page 132.

Christ Is Among Us! Indeed He Is And Ever Shall Be!

Three Cents
Posted By: Logos - Alexis Re: St. John the Apostle's Relics - 09/04/05 05:08 PM
Alex,

Of course the Western Church has the rank of "confessor" for saints! I thought you would know that, what with all your Roman Catholic schooling, et al. wink

We don't have passion-bearers, at least not by that title. We might call them something else.

Some of the categories of Western saints (or rather, saints declared by the Roman Catholic Church) include Abbot, Apostle, Bishop, Confessor, Doctor, Evangelist, Martyr, Virgin, Pope, and Widow.

Logos Teen
© The Byzantine Forum