www.byzcath.org
Posted By: MengTzu Eastern Catholic Canons - 07/04/12 09:18 AM
Hi all,

My understanding is that the Eastern Catholic Churches use different Canons of Scriptures from the one used by Latin Catholics. Is my understanding correct? If so, what is the status of the books that are not in the Latin Canon?
Posted By: Rybak Re: Eastern Catholic Canons - 07/04/12 08:18 PM
It would be referred to as the "canon of Scripture" not canons. The word "canons" usually refers to the body of particular laws within the canon law of the Church.

Here is a short article on the Orthodox canon of Scripture:

http://orthodoxwiki.org/Holy_Scripture#The_Canon_of_Scripture

One could say that the Latin Church combines some of the separate books of the O.T. Septuagint canon into single books, but that is a bit of an oversimplication.
Posted By: Curious Joe Re: Eastern Catholic Canons - 07/04/12 09:55 PM
There is a chart included in the Wikipedia article on the Biblical Canon [en.wikipedia.org] which provides a good graphic analysis.

However, it does not specifically address an "Eastern Catholic" Canon of Scripture, which sometimes can be a mix of "Roman Catholic" and either "Greek Orthodox" or "Slavic Orthodox" as used in the chart, depending on the tradition.

My parish priest has written on Holy Scripture, yet he cringes every time I ask him something related to this subject.
© The Byzantine Forum