www.byzcath.org
Posted By: Michael_Thoma Amazon RSV-CE reduced!! - 02/19/08 07:32 PM
If anyone else from the Chicago-area is interested, I'd like to get one (or two) and we can save on shipping!

Link to RSV-CE [amazon.com]
Posted By: AdsumJDS Re: Amazon RSV-CE reduced!! - 02/19/08 07:47 PM
You can still get free shipping by purchasing just one copy ...but are you sure this is the edition you want (zipper cover)?
Posted By: AdsumJDS Re: Amazon RSV-CE reduced!! - 02/19/08 08:11 PM
You might like one of these editions better:

http://www.allcatholicbooks.com/Mer...p;Product_Code=P25x09&Category_Code=

Or

http://www.allcatholicbooks.com/Mer...;Product_Code=I25x001&Category_Code=

(These are the leather editions, but there are also hardback and paperback.)

Posted By: indigo Re: Amazon RSV-CE reduced!! - 02/19/08 09:17 PM
Michael Thoma, thanks for bringing this up.Alas, I'm no where near Chicago or I'd take you up on your offer. I've been looking for an RSV for a while now.
Peace,
Indigo
Posted By: Michael_Thoma Re: Amazon RSV-CE reduced!! - 02/20/08 12:09 AM
I have the RSV2CE - I like it a lot; I figured I'd get this for a friend, but if the print is that small, maybe I should skip it!
Thanks for the review!
Posted By: Michael_Thoma Re: Amazon RSV-CE reduced!! - 02/20/08 01:00 AM
That reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask for a while now - does anyone know where to get a copy of the RSV-CE or RSV2CE Gospel only in a large size (about 12X9 inches)? I would like buy it for the parish and maybe get a cloth cover.. and where would one look for a beautiful cloth cover while we're at it?! wink

Father Serge, bless. Do the Bishop's Conferences of GB or Ireland use the RSV-CE? Are there large print Oxford-CE available in your neck of the woods? I'm having a difficult time finding it here.
Posted By: AdsumJDS Re: Amazon RSV-CE reduced!! - 02/20/08 01:09 AM
I am sorry, I've never seen a large print anywhere, but I will keep my eye out for it...
Posted By: AdsumJDS Re: Amazon RSV-CE reduced!! - 02/20/08 01:16 AM
I am not sure, but I think with the Amazon link you provided above is for the Catholic RSV-CE, and it appears that CE is for Compact Edition ... so maybe that could clear up some confusion on my part; I'll look around for the large print...
Posted By: Mor Ephrem Re: Amazon RSV-CE reduced!! - 02/20/08 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by Michael_Thoma
I would like buy it for the parish and maybe get a cloth cover.. and where would one look for a beautiful cloth cover while we're at it?! wink

You should have one made in India. Just send the book or its measurements with someone you know who is going (along with some money), and any priest there should be able to point your friend in the direction of an ecclesiastical tailor who makes not only vestments, but altar and vessel covers, AND such cloth covers. Your friend might have to buy the appropriate cloth and give it to the tailor, but they'll make it. It shouldn't cost you that much.
Posted By: Michael_Thoma Re: Amazon RSV-CE reduced!! - 02/20/08 11:01 PM
Deacon,

Thank you for your suggestion! What translation of the Scriptures are commonly used in your Church in India and in the States?
Posted By: Mor Ephrem Re: Amazon RSV-CE reduced!! - 02/21/08 04:20 AM
MOC Publications puts out a Gospel with the readings translated, presumably, from Syriac. There is no such book for the other OT and NT readings that we publish, although I think the MSO seminary publishes such a book, and a number of our churches use that. Otherwise, they use whatever they have for Malayalam. In English, it is almost exclusively whatever English translation(s) the individual church owns. I've heard the KJV, NKJV, RSV, NRSV, NIV, and (shudder!) the Good News Bible. I can handle the first four, but after that my patience wears thin.
Posted By: Terry Bohannon Re: Amazon RSV-CE reduced!! - 03/17/08 04:36 PM
I just got my order of this volume. It's compact and has a small font. If you don't mind that, this is a great value. It feels solid and would be great for a backpack or purse. I bought two.

Terry
Posted By: Anna Re: Amazon RSV-CE reduced!! - 03/17/08 05:47 PM
Try Pauline Books and Media - the publishing wing of the Daughters of St. Paul. They should definitely be up on all of this:

http://www.pauline.org/

I thought CE meant Catholic Edition...

Posted By: Terry Bohannon Re: Amazon RSV-CE reduced!! - 03/17/08 08:21 PM
It is the Catholic Edition--it even has a little miraculous metal on its zipper chain.

It is also a compact edition.
Posted By: Terry Bohannon Re: Amazon RSV-CE reduced!! - 10/28/09 04:01 PM
Darn, they raised the price. I was going to buy several more.
Posted By: theophan Re: Amazon RSV-CE reduced!! - 10/29/09 12:47 AM
Michael_Thoma

Christ is in our midst!! HE is and always will be!!

Why not try Mother Angelica's monastery for a cover? I believe that they make the wool covers for the Jerusalem Bible Mother used to use in her TV programs. I think they're embroidered.

BOB
© The Byzantine Forum