www.byzcath.org
Posted By: Katie g The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - 05/25/08 06:30 PM
I was kinda surprised that no one else has posted anything about the new Narnia movie, maybe I just haven't looked hard enough. Has anyone else seen it yet? Here's the trailer for it from You Tube.

My wife and I saw it yesterday. We both enjoyed it.

Ryan
I thought it was OK. There were some decent action scenes. It felt a little like LOTR plus a water God that eats things, but...that he was pretty biblical looking - like Moses...
Posted By: byzanTN Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - 05/25/08 10:10 PM
I plan to see it, just haven't had the time yet.
I was just re-reading the Magician's Nephew which tells of the creation of Narnia. It is interesting that C.S. Lewis does talk about the river god (note the small 'g').

"Out of the trees wild people stepped forth, gods Fauns and Satyrs and Dwarfs. Out of the river rose the river god with his Naiad daughters" (71).

Lewis, C.S. "The Magician's Nephew," 1955, in The Chronicles of Narnia, p. 11-106. New York: NY, Harper-Collins. 1982.

Posted By: Katie g Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - 05/26/08 04:22 PM
I really enjoyed the film. Some people have told me that they thought it was too battle heavy but it didn't really bother me. I think this film had more intense moments than the first one but I like the first one just a tad bit better.
Posted By: dochawk Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - 05/26/08 05:57 PM
We took everyone to it yesterday, and thought it was well done. I marveled at Trumpkin; he was perfect.

That was also the most I have ever spent getting into a movie. $50.50 for seven of us--at a matinee with two children's discounts!

I'm also kind of amazed at Lewis' use of a river god, but the more I think of it, the "lower" the case of the "g" gets, with his clear subordination and obedience to Aslan.
Didn't Lewis also believe that we are all in the process of becoming 'gods' through theosis where we can become like God through grace but never like God in His Essence?
I just watched it last Friday and really enjoyed it. I think there's a great message regarding the fact that without God's help nothing can be achieved i.e. when Peter (isn't it something that the High King of Narnia is named Peter?)tells Lucy "we have waited for Aslan long enough" and goes into battle and the battle is lost... and then only when Aslan returns and they show their faith in him everything goes fine!!!

Quite a message!!!! Without God we can not achieve anything, but with Him we can achieve even the humanly impossible!!!

God Bless

Bernardo
Posted By: Katie g Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - 05/29/08 03:39 AM
Yes, I thought it was interesting when Lucy also had to remind her brother who REALLY killed the White Witch.
© The Byzantine Forum