www.byzcath.org
Posted By: Etnick One of a kind (maybe) Iconostas - 03/27/09 04:34 PM
I've never seen anything like this. This Ukrainian Catholic parish in Pennsylvania has an Iconostas with frosted glass (etched)? icons.

Has anyone here seen something similar anywhere else?

http://www.stanneukrainiancc.com/photo.html
Posted By: Fr Serge Keleher Re: One of a kind (maybe) Iconostas - 03/27/09 06:11 PM
I've never seen anything like it either - and I don't think I care to see anything like it again.

Fr. Serge
Posted By: John K Re: One of a kind (maybe) Iconostas - 03/27/09 06:46 PM
The doors between the vestibule and the nave of my former parish were like that, only they have iconic seraphim (or cherubim?) on them.
Posted By: Alice Re: One of a kind (maybe) Iconostas - 03/27/09 07:08 PM
I have seen them in churches, but not on the iconostasis.

Posted By: Etnick Re: One of a kind (maybe) Iconostas - 03/27/09 07:36 PM
I'm wondering if it was an attempt to save money, and at the same time, be unique. They just don't look right.
Posted By: Fr. Jon Re: One of a kind (maybe) Iconostas - 03/27/09 08:06 PM
There are one or two iconostases with glass-etched or painted icons like this in the Archeparchy of Pittsburgh.

A priest-friend of mine with a parish which does not have a screen was considering getting one of them from one of the parishes which was closed in the last few years.

I'd have to look in the '99 Archeparchial history book for the names of the parishes.

Posted By: Chtec Re: One of a kind (maybe) Iconostas - 03/28/09 12:35 AM
The Greek Catholic parish in Zalău, Romania has a stained glass iconostas:

http://www.egco.ro/photos_s183_ro.php

Definitely... unique. smile

Dave
Posted By: Alice Re: One of a kind (maybe) Iconostas - 03/28/09 01:15 AM
Interesting....
Posted By: Chtec Re: One of a kind (maybe) Iconostas - 03/28/09 02:59 AM
If a parish wants a more "see-through" iconostas, there are many ways of accomplishing this without resorting to glass. Like this, for example:

[Linked Image]

Dave
Posted By: Irish Melkite Re: One of a kind (maybe) Iconostas - 03/28/09 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by John K
The doors between the vestibule and the nave of my former parish were like that, only they have iconic seraphim (or cherubim?) on them.

The same doors of our Melkite Cathedral are done similarly to what John describes.

I'd have to say that, given a choice between the iconostasis with the etched glass and the stained glass one that David has shown, I'd opt for the etched - in a heartbeat. The stained glass one is very unattractive - almost gaudy. As regards the etched, it may be that - a generation from now - such will be included in any discussion of iconic media.

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: Our Lady's slave Re: One of a kind (maybe) Iconostas - 03/28/09 09:15 AM
Hmmm - I know that stained glass is very popular in some countries - I have to admit I like mediaeval stained glass - but modern stained glass in an Iconostasis is not to my taste at all.

What's wrong with the more open one that David also showed ?
Posted By: stivvy Re: One of a kind (maybe) Iconostas - 03/28/09 01:07 PM
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. That church saw this as their way of practicing our traditions and I respect that.

I would think etched glass would make a nice option in the side windows in the Naive of the church if we had to replace the stained glass windows.
Posted By: Irish Melkite Re: One of a kind (maybe) Iconostas - 03/28/09 06:10 PM
Actually, my view might be very different were the stained glass one of a more ancient style. Although I might still not appreciate it as an iconostasis (would have to see and ponder on it), I could appreciate the beauty. The glass in the one pictured looks like it was put together from (forget the name right now) my daughter's toy that produces sun-catchers after you 'bake' the object.

The more that I think about it, the more willing I might be, though, to consider etched glass as an iconographic form.

Consider this - the Romanians are well known for creating beautiful and venerable icons in the style of reverse painting on glass. Are those an acceptable medium for use in an iconostasis? I'd be very surprised if there are no instances of this (and I'll bet Dave can find one, if there is).

And, another thought, while many of us acknowledge embroidered iconography as such a form, would it be appropriate for use on an iconostasis? (Think of the prospects for a poor mission to use such in its early years, before having the funds to construct a traditional one or the ease of transport for a priest riding the circuit between several small communities).

The ultimate question, I guess, is whether all iconography is suitable for this particular usage?

(Don't be surprised if this thread moves to the Iconography sub-forum tonight. I'm starting to think that's the best venue for it.)

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: Etnick Re: One of a kind (maybe) Iconostas - 03/28/09 06:20 PM
I thought about putting it in the icon forum, but I thought it would get more exposure here.
Posted By: Irish Melkite Re: One of a kind (maybe) Iconostas - 03/28/09 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Etnick
I thought about putting it in the icon forum, but I thought it would get more exposure here.

hmm, got to think about that possibility
Posted By: Irish Melkite Re: One of a kind (maybe) Iconostas - 03/28/09 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Etnick
I've never seen anything like this. This Ukrainian Catholic parish in Pennsylvania has an Iconostas with frosted glass (etched)? icons.

Has anyone here seen something similar anywhere else?

http://www.stanneukrainiancc.com/photo.html

Just a note; in reviewing the website, this iconastasis was donated to St Anne's by St. Nicholas Church in Frackville, PA (Mahanoy City, I suspect) and was installed by the men of the parish.

Many years,

Neil

Posted By: John K Re: One of a kind (maybe) Iconostas - 03/28/09 06:58 PM
I believe that St. Nicholas Ruthenian GC Church in Brownsville, PA also has glass icons on it's screen. Please see page 41 of the 75th anniversary directory.
Posted By: Fr. Jon Re: One of a kind (maybe) Iconostas - 03/28/09 07:43 PM
Neil,

The Ukrainian Catholic church in Mahanoy City had a traditional/usual iconastasis. The parish in Frackville is St. Michael the Archangel. There has got to be a mistake on the website. There is a connection, however: the pastor who was at St. Anne's at that time, Fr. Fields, is a parish son and now present pastor of St. Michael's in Frackville - perhaps a type of "outreach" from a more established parish in donating the iconastasis.
Posted By: Irish Melkite Re: One of a kind (maybe) Iconostas - 03/29/09 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by John K
I believe that St. Nicholas Ruthenian GC Church in Brownsville, PA also has glass icons on it's screen. Please see page 41 of the 75th anniversary directory.

John,

You're correct - from the Archeparchy's page on St Nicholas

Since 1971 a unique glass icon screen complements the outstanding glass windows

Many years,

Neil
Posted By: asianpilgrim Re: One of a kind (maybe) Iconostas - 03/30/09 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by Chtec
The Greek Catholic parish in Zalău, Romania has a stained glass iconostas:

http://www.egco.ro/photos_s183_ro.php

Definitely... unique. smile

Dave

There are also big statues of the Sacred Heart and of the Immaculate Conception on either side of the iconostas. Perhaps this iconostas is another expression of the Romanian Catholics' distinct identity apart from the Orthodox.
© The Byzantine Forum