www.byzcath.org
Posted By: Booth My new book on iconography is available - 11/24/13 05:42 PM
Hello!

I recently released a book on iconography, Tales of Glory.

It took 400 hours to write and edit, and has been a further solid 200 hours of post-writing management and marketing, so far. Needless to say I had to mention it here for all my chums on ByzCath (even if I am only an occasional poster).

It's full color with more than 60 photos, glossy and hardcover; 197 pages long and discusses about 60 different icons. The pictures were taken by an exceptional professional photographer of fine art.

We have also had two different theological reviews for accuracy, and the blessing of (and help from) my spiritual father. And I am especially proud of the glossary, which I believe allows the work to function as a standard reference guide on iconography.

The book was written explicitly with the idea of "Eastern Catholic evangelism through beauty" in mind. You will find that most of the entries begin with a casual discussion of the action of the icon, something that parents could read with children, for example, to help pass on the tradition. From there we delve into the artistic details, and finally dig into the important theological concepts. I hope it is something that the reader can turn to again and again in years to come.

Included with each icon is a tropar, kontak, or other proper to help bind together the art with liturgical texts.

The appendices are also quite thorough, and include an index of icons by liturgical year. I have already been told by two clergymen that this latter will be helpful for them as a reference for homilies - look up the date and find the icon. Certainly it should have use for us laymen as well.

(Need I mention we've sold several already as Christmas gifts?)

Thanks so much for reading. If you are interested, here is the Amazon link. [amazon.com]

The publisher has not put up the "Look Inside" preview yet, so here are a few of my own samples - Cover [matthewgaul.weebly.com] - Table of Contents [matthewgaul.weebly.com] - Four Evangelists (partial) [matthewgaul.weebly.com] - Annunciation [matthewgaul.weebly.com] - Sample Glossary Page [matthewgaul.weebly.com]

Please feel free to contact me for any reason about this labor of love.

EDIT - The publisher also offers it, for a better price than Amazon with less expensive shipping - here. [leoninepublishers.com]
Posted By: babochka Re: My new book on iconography is available - 11/24/13 06:07 PM
I just added it to my amazon wishlist! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Elizabeth
Posted By: byzanTN Re: My new book on iconography is available - 11/24/13 07:24 PM
A wonderful book!
Posted By: Booth Re: My new book on iconography is available - 11/25/13 08:58 AM
Thanks for your kind replies!

If Amazon says "unavailable" ... it's still available. I theorize we sold through the arbitrary amount the publisher listed as "available." I'm having them fix that, hopefully shortly, so please check back.

Or just PM me, and you can buy one through me via Paypal. Inscribed, no less, if you'd like. :-)
Originally Posted by babochka
I just added it to my amazon wishlist! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Likewise!

I am very impressed by the organization of the table of contents, beginning with the apse and dome and progressing outward.
Posted By: Booth Re: My new book on iconography is available - 11/28/13 08:55 AM
Thanks very much!

I should also add that I'm finding that the least expensive way to get a copy is through the publisher, who can sell it directly for less than Amazon with a better shipping price - here. [leoninepublishers.com]
Thanks,but my Amazon-account holding Presbytera tells me "too late."
Posted By: Booth Re: My new book on iconography is available - 11/29/13 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Thomas the Seeker
Thanks,but my Amazon-account holding Presbytera tells me "too late."

Wish I had noticed in time ... at least I can offer my gratitude, and to light two pillar candles in my parish (roughly the cost difference between Amazon and the publisher) for your intentions this weekend. :-)

I do hope you enjoy it, though. Any feedback is welcome. Thanks again.
© The Byzantine Forum