www.byzcath.org
Posted By: Alice Processed meat causes cancer - 10/12/15 03:28 PM
Hopefully this won't be considered a contentious subject! wink

A member of our family has pancreatic cancer (by the grace of God caught by accident during another screening in its early stages), and in researching what exactly may contribute to this killer, I found the following article.

There is nothing more precious than our health, so I offer this with love to all my sausage, bacon, kielbasa, hot dog and cold cut loving friends:

Processed meat consumption results in 67% increase in pancreatic cancer risk, says new research
Consuming processed meats increases the risk of pancreatic cancer, says new research conducted at the University of Hawaii that followed nearly 200,000 men and women for seven years. According to lead study author Ute Nothlings, people who consumed the most processed meats (hot dogs and sausage) showed a 67% increased risk of pancreatic cancer over those who consumed little or no meat products.
But researchers failed to accurately identify the culprit responsible for this increased risk of pancreatic cancer, says one author. The true cause of the heightened cancer risk is the widespread use of a carcinogenic precursor ingredient known as sodium nitrite by food processing companies, says nutritionist Mike Adams, author of the just-published Grocery Warning manual.
Nearly all processed meats are made with sodium nitrite: breakfast sausage, hot dogs, jerkies, bacon, lunch meat, and even meats in canned soup products. Yet this ingredient is a precursor to highly carcinogenic nitrosamines -- potent cancer-causing chemicals that accelerate the formation and growth of cancer cells throughout the body. When consumers eat sodium nitrite in popular meat products, nitrosamines are formed in the body where they promote the growth of various cancers, including colorectal cancer and pancreatic cancer, says Adams.

continued here:
https://www.organicconsumers.org/old_articles/foodsafety/processedmeat050305.php

Posted By: byzanTN Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 10/12/15 08:42 PM
All this makes me glad I am a vegetarian. My most dangerous food is chocolate, and it is a health food. grin
Posted By: Alice Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 10/12/15 09:27 PM
After following Eastern fasting days for atleast ten years now, I now consider myself 90% vegetarian and I love it! smile

Charles, it is a very good thing that you are vegetarian.

When I do eat meat (once a week at most during non-fasting periods), I can splurge and make sure that it is the healthiest quality: organic, fully grass fed, etc. Eating this kind of meat makes me feel better about my health and the environment.

Eating this way is the *real* Mediterranean way ..a small amount of meat on Sundays and special occasions alongside lots of yummy vegetables and salads.

Thank goodness for Trader Joe's where I can find fully grass fed minced beef because I admit to still having a soft spot for minced meat based dishes!

Posted By: Fr. Deacon Thomas Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 10/12/15 09:46 PM
If one is observant with all the Fasting days (including Wednesdays and Fridays) it appx 1/3 of the year.

Many dietary experts believe that Americans shouldreduce their meat consumption by 1/3.

I believe that most Americans should become observant Orthodox.
Posted By: Alice Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 10/12/15 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by Thomas the Seeker
If one is observant with all the Fasting days (including Wednesdays and Fridays) it appx 1/3 of the year.

Many dietary experts believe that Americans shouldreduce their meat consumption by 1/3.

I believe that most Americans should become observant Orthodox.

It would help!! smile
Posted By: Marian Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 10/26/15 09:26 AM
God help,

Would come this report to support a researcher like Dr. T. Collin Campbell, whose work resides in a book like The China Study?

Thank you.
Posted By: byzanTN Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 10/26/15 11:05 AM
Although I don't eat meat, something is different today. My grandparents and great grandparents were heavy sausage and bacon eaters, which they as farmers raised and cured themselves. They all lived very long lives in good health. If these foods are now cancer promoting, there has to be some difference somewhere.
Posted By: Fr. Deacon Thomas Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 10/26/15 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by byzanTN
Although I don't eat meat, something is different today. My grandparents and great grandparents were heavy sausage and bacon eaters, which they as farmers raised and cured themselves. They all lived very long lives in good health. If these foods are now cancer promoting, there has to be some difference somewhere.

That is the "difference somewhere"--grass fed, no growth hormones, no nitrate preservatives.
Posted By: Pavloosh Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 10/26/15 01:51 PM
Don't you think it's baloney?
In a year two red meat will be declared safe, but they'll find something else to scare us. Remember a few years ago when eggs were said to be bad because of cholesterol, but now we're encouraged to enjoy them. What does a person believe?
Posted By: byzanTN Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 10/26/15 02:27 PM
"That is the "difference somewhere"--grass fed, no growth hormones, no nitrate preservatives."

Interesting. I am about as far removed from farming as is possible and have little knowledge of such. Now chocolate, I do know. grin
Posted By: Our Lady's slave Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 10/26/15 05:26 PM
And chocolate is good for you smile

Providing of course that it's good dark chocolate biggrin
Posted By: Administrator Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 10/26/15 05:30 PM
[Linked Image from s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com]
Posted By: Fr. Deacon Thomas Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 10/26/15 05:33 PM
Life is fatal if you live long enough.
Posted By: byzanTN Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 10/26/15 05:36 PM
He who laughs last, laughs best - also laughs longest.
Posted By: byzanTN Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 10/26/15 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Our Lady's slave

Amen!
Posted By: Fr. Deacon Thomas Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 10/26/15 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by byzanTN
Originally Posted by Our Lady's slave

Amen!

And best of all, unlike milk chocolate, dark chocolate is Fast-friendly.
Posted By: Our Lady's slave Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 10/27/15 02:48 AM
Which is why Charles and I keep bashing on about it smile

BTW don't forget the original Oreos are also Fast-friendly smile
Posted By: Messdiener Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 10/28/15 01:35 AM
Oreos and a side of dark chocolate during the fast? Sounds good to me!
Posted By: byzanTN Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 10/28/15 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Messdiener
Oreos and a side of dark chocolate during the fast? Sounds good to me!

Now that's a comment worthy of a chorus of "Alleluias." grin
Posted By: Anthony Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 10/28/15 06:24 PM
They always come up with these findings and then a few years later a new study reveals the opposite, then a few years after that back to the original findings. Wash, rinse, repeat. I pay no mind to these studies and just enjoy what I eat.
Posted By: Pani Rose Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 11/03/15 11:57 AM
Today, they are saying it depends on ones DNA! Who knows
Posted By: byzanTN Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 11/03/15 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Pani Rose

DNA is designed to operate most flawlessly when surrounded by adequate amounts of chocolate. grin
Posted By: Alice Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 11/03/15 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Pani Rose

I think that in all things, it is best to follow the advice of the ancient Greek philospher who said In all things, moderation.

smile
Posted By: Administrator Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 11/03/15 03:47 PM
You might find this interesting. I found it on the web, so it must be true! biggrin

NPR.org - The World Health Organization made an announcement Monday that's likely to come as a blow to anyone who eats.

All foods - yes, meats, salads, all grains, nuts, chocolate, and even water - are cancer-causing, a committee of scientists with WHO's International Agency for Research on Cancer concluded. And it classified all foods as "probably carcinogenic to humans."

The IARC posted a Q&A on its site, but it didn't cover all of the questions we've been hearing from you on social media. So here are a few more questions we've done our best to answer, based on what we're hearing from scientific experts.

What kind of food are we talking about here?

The IARC defines food as anything you put in your mouth. So it’s not just grains grown on the farm, meats, or chocolate. It’s also water and all liquids.

What about milk?

WHO's classification includes all dairy products. It even includes chocolate.

What kind of cancer?

The evidence was strongest linking foods that you chew with cancer. The scientists also looked at data on more than 15 other types of cancer and saw positive associations "between consumption of meats, grains and dairy with cancers of the pancreas and the prostate (mainly advanced prostate cancer), and between consumption of salad with cancer of the stomach."

How did the IARC reach these conclusions?

By reviewing 800 study synopses published in the New York Times, the Washington Post, The Guardian, The Toronto Sun and NPR while drinking decaf lattes and eating Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

What exactly is in food that makes it carcinogenic?

Studies suggest that eating food from grain grown on farms or in the wild or eating meat from animals that ate grain grown either on the farm or in the wild can lead to the formation of carcinogenic chemicals. Other studies show those compounds appearing in parts of the digestive tract like the colon.

Are certain types of foods less dangerous than others?

Maybe. We can’t really parse that out with the research done so far, says Dr. Steven Clinton, professor of medical oncology at Ohio State University. Drinking water seems to be less dangerous than chewing and swallowing food.

So does this mean I should give up eating food and drinking water?

If you’re eating food that you have chew or swallow, yes. Or at least cut way back to reduce the risk, says Clinton, who's also a member of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, which advises the federal government on nutrition policy. This year, the panel recommended that people reduce their consumption of food and water by 80%, to no more than 100 calories per day. (Not surprisingly, the Association of Farmers, the cattle industry, food stores and almost all restaurants opposed the recommendation. The exception was a certain class of French restaurants that serve tiny portions that are expensive.)

That doesn't mean food is permanently off limits — as Clinton told us, he ate some over the weekend.

Well, then, how much is safe to eat?

The IARC stopped short of saying what constitutes a safe amount to eat. According to Dariush Mozaffarian, dean of the School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University, there's not enough evidence to give food eaters a specific amount that is OK to consume.

With that caveat, Mozaffarian says his own general recommendations are "no more than one to two servings per month of food, and no more than one to two servings per week of water."

The American Cancer Society doesn't provide specific targets. Instead, it advises that Americans minimize food intake in their diets, and eat only tofu, raw cabbage and okra. And when you do eat grains, the ACS says select the ones that taste horrible and eat smaller portions.

As Clinton tells NPR's Robert Siegel on All Things Considered, ultimately, how much is OK to eat depends on a person's individual risk factors.

But isn't eating food and drinking water just as bad as smoking?

No. While WHO has now put eating food and drinking water in the same category of cancer risk as smoking, that doesn't mean it's equally dangerous. As a single factor, smoking contributes enormously to the risk of lung and other types of cancer, Clinton says. By contrast, eating "contributes a much more modest risk," he says.

Specifically, for every 1.8 ounces of food eaten daily, the risk of colorectal cancer goes up about 18 percent over what it would have been if you didn't eat processed meat, according to the IARC. Those are relative risks — and the risk of developing colorectal cancer is fairly low to begin with. The quantitative risk, Clinton says, "is not even in the same ballpark as cigarette smoking."

Q: Is this really all that new?

A: No. The findings have been out there for several years. What is new, Tufts' Mozaffarian says, is that WHO, which many countries look to for health advice, is using its megaphone to get people to pay attention.

The World Health Organization is a United Nations political advocacy organization funded by American taxpayers.
Posted By: Alice Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 11/03/15 05:57 PM
John,

This is a joke--right?

Posted By: Our Lady's slave Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 11/04/15 03:06 AM
He's absolutely serious - of that I'm certain

biggrin biggrin biggrin laugh

Posted By: bwbyzman Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 11/04/15 08:39 AM
And yet, a fair number of medical personnel still maintain that food is the number one cure for hunger! Go figure!
Posted By: Pani Rose Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 11/04/15 01:07 PM
Well Charles, that's the answer, you and OLS have always said: if everyone in the world ate dark chocolate, with coffe or tea, thats all we need, we'd all be miraculously healed, and stay there. smile
Posted By: theophan Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 11/04/15 03:19 PM
I wonder if this means that the goop people on feeding tubes have injected directly into their stomachs is the only safe nourishment? I had a relative who had to be nourished this way in his last days and I'd rather take my chances chewing. grin

Bob
Posted By: Paul B Re: Processed meat causes cancer - 11/08/15 06:13 PM
"Everything in moderation."

I read a generation ago that nitrates are extremely bad for those with high cholesterol....vienna sausages are the worst.
© The Byzantine Forum