www.byzcath.org
Posted By: Josh5150 Traditional clothing - 08/27/16 12:16 PM
I am wanting to know if there is a traditional Byzantine Catholic cassock design. Currently I am using Butterick 6844 and have seen Russian and Orthodox as well as Roman and Angelican cassocks and have seen a lot on sale at Toomey, Almy, Gaspard, Catholic supply...Etc.... But some of those prices are outrageous for polyester cassocks . I am allergic to polyester and am making my own all cotton cassock...I have seen the Gabardine wool and like that but is that a year round wool? I have already bought cotton fabric and cut it all out and am ready to put it all together.
Posted By: theophan Re: Traditional clothing - 09/02/16 02:21 PM
Josh:

Christ is in our midst!!

Forgive me, but if you already have your material "cut . . . out and . . . . ready to put . . . together," isn't it a bit late to look for a pattern? I don't know much about tailoring garments, but I thought one found a pattern first.

Bob
Posted By: Josh5150 Re: Traditional clothing - 09/05/16 12:05 PM
Bob,

No problems....The reason I ask about the patterns is if there is a Byzantine pattern for a cassock since I purchased a Roman Catholic pattern. I had searched the internet for a while and only found Byzantine Orthodox robes. So I figured I would ask here on the forums to see if there may be an "old school" Byzantine pattern that would not be posted on the internet, or in a place I failed to look..
Posted By: TAFrazer Re: Traditional clothing - 11/27/21 12:49 AM
I’m afraid I’m no help to you, but I am also desperate for a Russian style pattern for inner and outer cassock. I hope someone sees this and can help. Everyone who has them that I know does it for a business and they are not interested in selling a pattern copy to me at any price.
Posted By: theophan Re: Traditional clothing - 11/27/21 04:28 PM
Christ is in our midst!!

TAFrazer,

Welcome to the forum. We hope your time here is spiritually fruitful.

I had heard a Russian bishop relate how he had lent a cassock to a priest so that his Matushka could use it as a pattern. May I suggest that you ask clergy if someone has a worn out inner or outer cassock that you could obtain for a pattern. It also occurred to me that after a clergy death there may be cassocks that are being discarded. I would play this one delicately, if I were you, but it may be an avenue.

Bob
© The Byzantine Forum