www.byzcath.org
Ecumenical Patriarch: We Stay and Fight Because this is Our Irrevocable Decision [thenationalherald.com]

CONSTANTINOPLE – His All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, during his speech at the conclusion of the Patriarchal and Synodal Divine Liturgy this week, underscored the determination of the “hurt Greeks” not to abandon the good fight of saving their presence in Constantinople and witnessing in their physical and historical cradle.
While I can respect HAH's position it seems unrealistic to me. There are so few Greeks there and it doesn't look feasible to even maintain that small presence without a major transfer of population from Greece which I strongly doubt Turkey would allow. Which comes I think to the crux of the matter. The EP exists only through the begrudging acceptance of the Turkish State. With Erdogan in power who can say what the future will hold? I am not sure why the EP doesn't merge the diocese/metropolis etc of Constantinople and Thessalonki which I believe is also under the EP though currently admintered by Greece or why they GOC and the EP don't merge Athens and Constantinople. This might guarantee him more freedom in the long run. Just random thoughts I am having. I am interested in other opinions.
© The Byzantine Forum