The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala, Halogirl5
6,004 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 436 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,404
Posts416,800
Members6,004
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#163565 04/20/06 06:50 PM
OP Offline
I was talking to a student today who had been taking Russian. We were talking about the fact that his name was Nikolai in Russian,and he told me it made him think of the devils' name, "Nikolai Carpathia". I had never heard of this. He said it comes from the move Left Behind. Why would they use such an eastern european name? Does anyone know the origin of this?

#163566 04/20/06 07:08 PM
H
Orthodox Catholic Toddler
Orthodox Catholic Toddler
H
Yes, they did indeed write that story using that name. Why they did I have no idea, when I first found out about it I was highly offended.

+T+
Michael

#163567 04/20/06 07:34 PM
OP Offline
Ironically, the boy could not tell me what Jesus' 2 commandments were. We actually stopped and asked several students in the hallway, and none could tell me. (It was my job to stop kids and check planners/passes.) Several mentioned going to church frequently and one or two said they went to Catholic schools through 8th grade. They could all give me at least 2 of the ten commandments.

#163568 04/20/06 08:35 PM
N
N
The authors chose that name because they interpret the Bible to say that the antichrist will come out of Eastern Europe, more specifically, the Carpathian Mountains.

Which specific versus stat this, I have no idea.

#163569 04/23/06 03:37 PM
BANNED
active
BANNED
active
Hristos Voskress.......Voistinu voskress

A many may know, the West and the powers that be (this is no conspiracy theory...do some research and find out for yourself..!) have for over a millennia sought to destroy and subdue the East... as in the Eastern Church. Look at the West's export of Bolshevism to our people. Look at the rise of western heresy and cults and sectarianism to the Slavs after the 'Wall" came down. Remember when Clinton bombed Kosovo and the Serbs, on Pascha/Easter. The "Left Behind" series was something I personally supported about 9 yrs ago when I was a Evang/Prot/Baptist. The people who support this are very serious, and take it as 'gospel'. Again , another attempt to discredit, shame and nullify the historic piety and Faith of 'our' people. The sorry thing is that I am truly 1/2 Rusyn and 1/2 German, but was never taught about the True faith of our heritage people...St Boniface, and the German Saints, or the Kievan Rus'. What a homecoming I have had, and a shock to learn the evil and destruction my own involvement with the radical evangelical fundamentalists..people such as Peter Popov and the like. There is even a local group who specifically brings Slavic teens to america to 'introduce' them to 'true' faith. I have talked to their coordinator, and he is unabashed at their goals. Lord have mercy on their prey, and upon their misguided souls. If I could come to the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church , even they can be so enlightened. Blessings to all on Pascha, Mikhailo

#163570 04/23/06 08:27 PM
B
B
NOTHING BUT ANOTHER HOLYWOOD POLITICAL THRILLER, INTERESTING SYNOPSIS:

LEFT BEHIND: WORLD AT WAR

Based on the last part of the book �Tribulation Force� by Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins End Time Political Thriller The world is controlled by a self-proclaimed Messiah and his One World Government. A US President works tirelessly against those who oppose this new world order until a shocking discovery forces him to change sides.
SYNOPSIS: PRESIDENT GERALD FITZHUGH lives in a different world � everyone does. A year and a half ago the world was hit with the biggest catastrophe it had ever seen. Without warning and without explanation, hundreds of millions of people simply vanished off the face of the earth. The world was in chaos like it had never been before.

Yet somehow one man seemed to rise to the challenge. One man had the strength and conviction to unite a shattered world. One man gave the world hope. That man was NICOLAE CARPATHIA . He now rules the entire world.

Fitzhugh, like most of America, whole-heartedly supports Nicolae�s new global leadership, but there are those who do not. A dangerous militia movement and an underground group of born-again Christians actively, but separately, work to bring Nicolae down. Their reasons for resistance may be different, but both groups are labeled as dangerous terrorists that Fitzhugh must stop without mercy.

After an attempt on his life though, Fitzhugh begins to look closer at Nicolae and his new World Government. He forces BUCK WILLIAMS, an international journalist who has an inside track to Nicolae, to help him. Buck is a Christian and believes that Nicolae is actually the prophesied Antichrist, but Fitzhugh wants facts � not stories.

With the help of a Militia Spy, Fitzhugh uncovers the government�s horrific plans for genocide and quickly he joins the very resistance he had sacrificed so much to destroy. Meanwhile thousands are infected with the government�s deadly manufactured virus, including Buck�s new wife CHLOE STEELE and his mentor PASTOR BRUCE BARNES.

With time running out both Fitzhugh and Buck must make the toughest decisions of their lives. Will Fitzhugh sacrifice the lives of millions to ultimately save America? Can Buck lead Fitzhugh to the real truth about Nicolae before it�s too late? And after the smoke clears: who will survive World War III?

#163571 04/23/06 10:07 PM
Well I have always heard the name "Old Nick"
as a euphamism for the devil.
Stephanos I

#163572 05/01/06 12:35 AM
BANNED
active
BANNED
active
Whatever happened to this post...is anyone out there......hallloooooooo mik

#163573 05/01/06 03:47 AM
Catholic Gyoza
Catholic Gyoza
Vladimir Soloviev had a different view of the Anti-Christ. He would be a entrepeneur, a philanthropist, a vegetarian, and would have theology degrees from the University of Tubingen.

#163574 06/01/06 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Nathan:
The authors chose that name because they interpret the Bible to say that the antichrist will come out of Eastern Europe, more specifically, the Carpathian Mountains.

Which specific versus stat this, I have no idea.
It is loosely from a talmudic interpretaion as given by St. Jerome in connection with legitimate Church teaching on the antichrist in the future, not to be confused with the left behind books which is really about simony. North, and ancient Scythia in some sense, but not "the Carpathian Mountains" per se.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.