The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
OrbisNonSufficit, SergLts, RusFrog, JanSorman, Icons
5654 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 159 guests, and 187 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
Byzantine Nebraska
Church of the Holy Trinity (UGCC) - Brazil
Papal Audience 10 November 2017
Upgraded Russian icon corner
Russian Greek Catholic Global Congress
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics34,866
Posts412,731
Members5,654
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Synaxis of the Carpatho-Russian Saints #17565 06/29/05 10:20 PM
S
stojgniev Offline
S
dave wrote: Carpatho-Rus may not have definate borders, but we can say what Carpatho-Rus is not (how's that for apophatic geography? ). Procopius of Sazava, Wenceslaus, Ludmila, and Gorazd really can't be called "of Carpatho-Rus." But why are they included? Did the Bohemia of Wenceslaus and Ludmilla include Carpatho-Rus? If saints like Procopius, a Benedictine from Bohemia--now Czech Republic--is included, why not include other saints from that area? Why is Rostislav of Moravia included, but Stephen of Hungary and Vladimir of Kiev not included? When you start to include saints from the bordering areas, or saints that Rusyns held in devotional esteem, you start to make it less exclusive, and defeat the purpose of this day.

Rostislav is included because he invited Cyril and Methodius to Moravia. There's not much evidence that survives about his piety, but he was certainly a political genius. Where would the Slavs be today without him?

He was canonized, I think in Brno, Moravia, about 10 years ago by the Czech Orthodox Church. The ceremony was rather politicized (I wasn't there but read reports & saw the photo coverage), mainly by Moravians who at that time were seeking some form of political autonomy.

I must say I detect some political motivation in the Czech Orthodox trying to publicly promote Wenceslaus, Prokop (Procopius), Ludmila, Rostislav & thereby demonstrate a link to early Christianity in the Czech Lands. Politicization has been THE major problem of Christianity in The Czech Lands for several centuries now. On the other hand, we can regard this as an ecumenical gesture by one Orthodox Church.

Stojgniev

Re: Synaxis of the Carpatho-Russian Saints #17566 06/29/05 11:20 PM
Fr. Yuri Offline
Thank you the information you provided. I found it to be very helpful in understanding more about the Carpatheo-Russian Orthodox Church.

Fr. Yuri, C.PP.S.
Re: Synaxis of the Carpatho-Russian Saints #17567 06/30/05 01:28 PM
Orthodox Catholic Offline
Dear Friends,

Brno was mentioned above and I have corresponded with the Orthodox Bishop of Brno who, some years ago, told me that the Orthodox baptismal certificate of Jerome of Prague, close friend to John Hus, was found in Latvia, I think it was.

He said that there are voices in the Czech Orthodox Church in support of Jerome's canonization as an Orthodox saint!

Russian Orthodox theologians in the 19th century, in the spirit of the Cyrillo-Methodian movements then, made the conscious connection between Hus and the ministry of St Cyril and St Methodius in that area as well.

Alex

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Father Anthony 

The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2020 (Forum 1998-2020). All rights reserved.