The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala, Halogirl5
6,004 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 436 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,404
Posts416,800
Members6,004
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#188371 07/25/01 03:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My Dear Dr John,

"I wonder if the parishes in NY and Las Vegas have any relationships with the local Greek Orthodox parishes? There are obviously Greek Orthodox parishes in those cities."

In Las Vegas, yes.
There is a Greek Orthodox: St. John the Baptist is the the only Greek one that I am aware of. There are also Serbian Orthodox and Antiochian Orthodox churches too.
Personally, I really don't have much of a relationship with the Greek Orthodox except of course for their Food Fesitval!
But I have to admit I am pretty new to this parish however from what I have heard-our parish is on friendly terms with theirs.

And you said "Hint: when having a parish festival, go to the local Greek wholesaler, tell 'em you're an ethnic Eastern parish, and I'll wager you get a deal. Just promise to advertise the business in the festival program, or a thanks in the bulletin."
Really?? Great!! Thanks for the advice!!

God Bless,
Miryam

#188372 07/26/01 01:05 AM
V
V
Dear Friends, Bishop Ercole Lupinacci of the Italo-Albanian Eparchy of Lungro in Calabria was with the Pope in Ukraine at the invitation of Cardinal Husar. Before going to Ukraine the bishop was the guest of the Greek-Catholic Metropolitan of Romania where he visited various eparchies. At the end of his trip the bishop expressed hope for a renewal of ties with the Greek-Catholic bishops of Ukraine, Romania, and the diaspora in the Americas. Pax, Vito

#188373 07/26/01 01:16 AM
V
V
Dear Dr. John, If you get to St. Paul stop at "Buon Giorno" downtown. It's an Italian food and deli. etc. Let's face it--when it comes to food (and as I think about it, almost everything else they(the Italians) are NO.1) [Linked Image]
Ciao, Vito
P.S. They are relatives!

[This message has been edited by Vito (edited 07-25-2001).]

#188374 07/26/01 09:22 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
To Lance,
deacon candidate,

Steve Casmus, fellow deacon candidate, says
'hello'.

God Bless,
Miryam

#188375 07/30/01 04:29 AM
D
Dr John Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hey, Vito. Thanks for the advice. Since I travel a lot for the union doing training sessions on health and safety, I am constantly on the look-out for decent food. I'll look up "Buon Giorno" in St. Paul. Of course, I'll apply the typical litmus test: Italian Cold-Cut sub = mortadella, provolone, cappicol', prosciutto, with lettuce, tomatoes, onions (Lord, I love onions!), and hot peppers, with oil/vinegar and basil/oregano dressing. BUT -- if they ask if I want mayonaisse on it, I'll go postal. Silly 'meriganas!

Thanks for the info! Any brother who guides me to good food is a blessing! Love ya!

JB

#188376 07/30/01 05:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The GREEK Greek-Catholic Church of Cargese, Corsica.
www.corsica.net/corsica/uk/regajac/cargese/carg_egg.htm [corsica.net]

#188377 07/30/01 06:04 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Miryam: I think I have this figured outsorry I did not get a chance to visit after Liturgy Sunday.
Originally posted by Miryam:
To Lance,
deacon candidate,

Steve Casmus, fellow deacon candidate, says
'hello'.

God Bless,
Miryam

#188378 07/31/01 04:09 AM
V
V
Dear Friends, You may be interested in the Greek Catholic Church of Malta-Our Lady of Damascus (beautiful icon)
site: www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/7780/index.html [geocities.com]

#188379 08/25/01 01:56 PM
In addition to Archimandrite Francis Vivona, the Eparchy of Van Nuys is home to another Italo-Greek priest. Archimandrite Januarius (Genaro)Izzo,OFM, the administrator of Saint Phillip Byzantine Catholic Church, Sacramento, CA. He also has published a book on the antimension, I believe I have seen it in the Light and Life catalogue.

John Montalvo

#188380 08/25/01 02:30 PM
V
V
Yes, And Archimandrite Jan is the chaplain of Our Lady of Grace Society in Staten Island.

#188381 12/17/01 02:15 AM
A
A
I am an Italo-Greek, a Byzantine and a Catholic but a Roman Catholic and I live in Upstate NY. I am part Albanian as someone noted in this thread but through marriage into our family. We are from Constantinople the New Rome in the East and are Romiosini but returned to Italy about 500 years ago. We came to the US from Tolve' in Lucania and there we saw ourselves as Lucani and are now American's. We have never changed our name nor converted from our Catholic Faith.

#188382 12/17/01 02:28 AM
A
A
The Albanians came to Southern Italy when the Spanish ruled the land. There were empty villages and the Christian Albanian soldiers of Scanderberg and thier families could not return to Albania.

Scanderberg had been a Janissari Officer in the Elite of the Turkish Sultan's Army. He had been one of the youths paid in tax to the Sultan and raised as an elite Janissari soldier of the Turks. He returned to Albania as an adult and lead a revolt against the Turks and used guerilla warfare to fight the greater power of the Turkish Forces. He entered the service of Spain as a Mercanary Captain with his men. They could not return to Albania as they faced death. The Spanish settled them in all of Southern Italy. They established new villages and empty villages were occupied by them. The people became Italianized with time. Albanian was still spoken until WWII but has fellen into disuse.

I read an article on the subject so give you the gist.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.