The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Eala, Halogirl5, MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn
6,001 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 378 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,400
Posts416,784
Members6,001
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted by Serge Keleher
Anyone want to lay some wagers on that? Metropolitan Laurus is himself Carpatho-Russian; is Jordanville about to adopt this Revised Liturgy?
Bless Father,

In a time when a good laugh is few and far between, you have given me many smiles! The thought of Metropolitan Laurus adopting the Ruthenian RDL is humorous to me! laugh

Last edited by Recluse; 04/04/07 01:05 PM.
B
B
Originally Posted by Ung-Certez
According to Fr. David, the Orthodox jurisdictions will revise their liturgy to mimic the Ruthenian Metropolia's Revised DL.

In fairness to Father David, he said no such thing; he pointed out that the bishops have changed our books to match parish practice (which is largely true); that Orthodox practice similarly diverged quite a bit from the printed books (which is certainly true); and that he believed the Orthodox would eventually change THEIR books to match their parish practice.

Yours in Christ,
Jeff Mierzejewski

M
M
Originally Posted by ByzKat
According to Fr. David, the Orthodox jurisdictions will revise their liturgy to mimic the Ruthenian Metropolia's Revised DL.

In fairness to Father David, he said no such thing; he pointed out that the bishops have changed our books to match parish practice (which is largely true); that Orthodox practice similarly diverged quite a bit from the printed books (which is certainly true); and that he believed the Orthodox would eventually change THEIR books to match their parish practice.

Yours in Christ,
Jeff Mierzejewski

Jeff,

Why would it be so wrong to adopt parish practice to what Rome instructed us to use 40+ years ago?

Why would it be so wrong to adopt parish practice to the vast majority of our Greek Catholic brethern and use the word Orthodox?

Why would it be so wrong to adopt parish practice to the vast majority of our Orthodox brethern and actually celebrate Vespers and Matins?

Please give specific examples of how "Orthodox practice has similarly diverged".

Monomakh

U
U
It has been stated that a certain Orthodox bishop has spoken favorably about the Ruthenian Metropolia'a Revised DL. The first hierarch to come to mind is Met. Nicholas. I'm still looking for his written comments about the Revised DL.

Ungcsertezs

It has been stated that a certain Orthodox bishop has spoken favorably about the Ruthenian Metropolia'a Revised DL. The first hierarch to come to mind is Met. Nicholas. I'm still looking for his written comments about the Revised DL.

Ungcsertezs

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure to meet Bishop Job of the OCA diocese of the midwest. Although our conversation was brief, I asked him for his thoughts on the Byzantine RDL. His words were "Well, you know how people say change is good, that is definitely not a change for the good"

A
AMM Offline
A
I have trouble picturing Metropolitan Nicholas publicly criticizing the changes. He also has not been in the best of health, and so probably has other things on his mind.

At the parish level, I've heard narry a peep, good or bad.

Originally Posted by Etnick
A few weeks ago I had the pleasure to meet Bishop Job of the OCA diocese of the midwest. Although our conversation was brief, I asked him for his thoughts on the Byzantine RDL. His words were "Well, you know how people say change is good, that is definitely not a change for the good"
Amen! His Eminence is very wise.

Ungcsertesz writes that

Anyone want to lay some wagers on that? Metropolitan Laurus is himself Carpatho-Russian; is Jordanville about to adopt this Revised Liturgy?

I shall be watching Orthodox Life for favorable reviews and comments on this predicted development.

Fr. Serge

Now THIS brought me out of my Holy Week preparations with a chuckle! It takes longer for our deacon to cense the Church prior to Liturgy than your "new and improved" Liturgy takes from start to finish! Don't look for Divine Liturgy "Lite" at Jordanville any time soon.

Alexandr

F
F
Dear Alexander,

Always glad to bring joy to your heart!

Fr. Serge

Originally Posted by Slavipodvizhnik
Ungcsertesz writes that

I shall be watching Orthodox Life for favorable reviews and comments on this predicted development.

Fr. Serge

Now THIS brought me out of my Holy Week preparations with a chuckle! It takes longer for our deacon to cense the Church prior to Liturgy than your "new and improved" Liturgy takes from start to finish! Don't look for Divine Liturgy "Lite" at Jordanville any time soon.

Alexandr

As always Alex, you know how to brighten my day! biggrin

Blessed Pascha! Christos Voskrese!

F
F
Now, now. Divine Liturgy at Jordanville is always Light, but never Lite!

Fr. Serge

#230914 04/18/07 12:59 PM
I have heard many times that the "new translation" of The Divine Liturgy in the Ruthenian Catholic Church, was meant to bring us closer to our Eastern Catholic and Orthodox counterparts.

I believe that the Ruthenian Catholic Church is currently, the only Catholic or Orthodox Church that has promulgated and approved horizontal inclusive language across the board. Every Liturgy and every prayer is, or is in the process of being completely neutralized. The only other places I see this type of neutralization is in some of the protestant churches. So it seems to me, that the "new translation" has brought us closer to the protestant church.

I am not being sarcastic here. This translation seems to have divided the church within and distanced us from our Eastern Catholic and Orthodox brethren. The only bridge that I see, leads to the protestant church, and it is paved with inclusive language.

Comments?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.