The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick, EasternChristian
5,999 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (seven_mansions, San Nicolas), 290 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,399
Posts416,772
Members5,999
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
F
F
Originally Posted by Prester John
The NKJV is owned by Thomas Nelson Publishers, and at the time of the OSB's work, Nelson was owned by an Orthodox Christian, who gave it gratis to the project for its work.

The RSV would have cost $20K (thanks for that NCC) and would have been the preferred version if the cost was not so high. Many modern English translations of the Liturgy use the RSV as their text from which the Liturgy comes.

An advantage of the NKJV (and for that matter the Authorised [King James] Version) over the RSV from an Orthodox perspective is that the underlying Greek text from which the NKJV ( and the Authorised Version) is translated is the Received Text, which is very close to the Ecclesiastical Greek Text. On the other hand, the RSV is translated from a Critical Greek Text which differs in many more places from the Church's Text and so must be amended time and time again.

Fr David Straut

A
AMM Offline
A
Metropolitan Isaiah of Denver has written to that effect.

http://www.geocities.com/trvalentine/orthodox/bible_texts.html

We do not have to wait until June for a good hard cover copy. We can buy it for $31.49 with free shipping. Check this link out from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Orthodox-Stud...mp;s=books&qid=1202143389&sr=8-1

Last edited by lanceg; 02/05/08 11:40 PM.
A
A
The NKJV is owned by Thomas Nelson Publishers, and at the time of the OSB's work, Nelson was owned by an Orthodox Christian, who gave it gratis to the project for its work.

The RSV would have cost $20K (thanks for that NCC) and would have been the preferred version if the cost was not so high. Many modern English translations of the Liturgy use the RSV as their text from which the Liturgy comes.

What do you think is keeping the NCC afloat? (sarcasm) The generous contributions of its manifold churches which enjoy growing membership? (/sarcasm)

...In a report on the National Council of Churches' work of Bible translation to the NCC general assembly held in Oakland, California in November, 2001, General Secretary Robert Edgar "mentioned that the NCC is exploring various possibilities regarding the sale or license of the copyright to the Revised and Newly Revised Standard Versions of the Bible. The NCC owns the copyrights to both versions. Edgar noted that the NCC had already refused one offer to purchase the copyrights. He said that the NCC would not exist today if it did not receive $500,000 a year in royalties from the sale of the RSV and NRSV Bibles." source [afriendofchrist.blogspot.com]

They are making far too much cash to give it away...

According to Amazon, the HARDCOVER version will be available on 2/12/2008, and the LEATHERBOUND version will be available on 6/19/08, which is the opposite of what people have said on this thread.

I guess we'll know when it arrives in the mail!

P
P
haha I wonder if we'll ever actually see it now!

J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J
Originally Posted by francis
According to Amazon, the HARDCOVER version will be available on 2/12/2008, and the LEATHERBOUND version will be available on 6/19/08, which is the opposite of what people have said on this thread.

I wouldn't put much into these dates...I know on one of the other lists I am on...someone (who I would have no reason not to believe) had received their hardcover version already (I believe it was Monday)

I remember when Fr. Honeycutt's book "One flew over the Onion Dome" was released...I had a gift card for Barnes and Noble...so I ordered it through them...it never came...every month I kept getting notices that it was being delayed...I cancelled the order and ordered direct from the publisher...It had been released at least a month earlier and had it by the end of the week...

Originally Posted by francis

Amazon is often wrong about these things.

I would check with Light & Life, or Conciliar press itself. I am sure that both Leather and Hardcover version will be available in February.

Blessings,

Lance

A Byzantine Christian in a Postmodern World [byzantinechristian.blogspot.com]

P
P
Everyone,

Please announce here if and when you receive an OSB!

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Fr David Straut

An advantage of the NKJV (and for that matter the Authorised [King James] Version) over the RSV from an Orthodox perspective is that the underlying Greek text from which the NKJV ( and the Authorised Version) is translated is the Received Text, which is very close to the Ecclesiastical Greek Text. On the other hand, the RSV is translated from a Critical Greek Text which differs in many more places from the Church's Text and so must be amended time and time again.

Fr David Straut

The only thing I do not like about the NKJV is that it uses the phrase, "most assuredly," instead of "truly, truly" or "Amen, Amen" when Jesus makes emphatic statements. It drives me nuts!

J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J
Everyone,

Please announce here if and when you receive an OSB!

Thanks!

I picked up my Hard copy this morning...Haven't had much time to look at it yet...first impressions are positive...

Our church bookstore just received them for resale. Can you tell me how much you paid for the hard copy--if you don't mind ofcourse.

Thanks,
Alice

J
Job Offline
Cantor
Cantor
J
I believe it was the pre-release, bulk price of $30.34 each.

Joe,
I have always maintained that the two Churches fund such a project by its best scholars and create a new translation of the Septuagint. Using the most recent lingustics, historic and archeological finds. This translation should include an exhaustive use of the Greek and Latin Fathers. You know we have so much to offer together, why should Evangelical non Catholics create programs which are good but lack alot.
Stephanos I
It has been my opinion that it is unduly influenced by Protestant thought. That at least was my initial reading. When I return home I would like to purchase the OT

Last edited by Stephanos I; 02/11/08 10:55 PM.
P
P
Has anyone seen it yet?

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.