The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala, Halogirl5
6,004 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 436 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,404
Posts416,800
Members6,004
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
D
Sure, Stuart, but think of what happens if I do similar things to this engine smile

The 1970 Eldorado 500 put out 400hp out of the factory. Compression was dropped the next year to allow the use of unleaded gas. The rated power dropped in 1972, but that was due to the change from gross to net rating (and after that, they were emasculated further almost every year frown )

If I'd feed it a lubricating supplement, I could put in pistons off a 70, heads off a 472 from that era, and be above that. And then fuel injection, or . . . smile 800hp off a 500 with a quadrajet carb is not unrealistic. And this has a *real* turbojet 400 transmission, which should handle that kind of power--but what would I do with the power? Stock, this thing can slam this 5,000 lb behemoth to any speed that I'm willing to pay the gas for . . . these beasts were designed to cruise all day at 100 with the AC running . . .

I don't plan on it (but I may do the 472 heads for fuel economy).

The stock engine puts out more than enough power for anything I'd really want to do in a car that big--it will never whip around a corner on a mountain road, no matter what I do [hmm, except flying off the curve, of course :)].

And you can get the power out of a smaller engine today, but it was possible then, too--but there's really no substitute for cubic inches. You *can* tell the difference in ride just betwen a 350 and a 400. There's just nothing like the casual, effortless acceleration of a large eight. You can match the acceleration, but not the ride. (or the fuel consumption smile

hawk, off to play with the carburetor.

John
John
Sniff.... cry

Just spoke with a friend whose sister can use my old 1992 Acura Integra GSR. I can't justify keeping it anymore and don't drive it all that much. But it is still in very good condition even though it has 225,000 miles on it. My mechanic says the engine is good for at least 100,000 more. I know it is not a classic in the proper sense of the word but it was a fun car to drive (I love 5 speed stick shifts!).

I always loved GM cars of the 40's through 60's, but after about 1970, it seems like they turned in rust-buckets and junkpiles. I really did like the Pontiac Grand Prix from the early '60's to '68 when it was still based on the full size Pontiac platform. There's a guy I see driving around town occasionally who has a mint-condition '67 Grand Prix that I'd love to drive.

As a kid in Texas, I was always fascinated by the mid-fifties GM cars - and Lincolns - with factory air that had the trunk-mounted units with clear plexiglass tubes in the back window to route the cold air into the headliner-mounted outlets.

Sadly, my family's car at the time was a second-hand '54 Chevy sedan with a straight six, three-on-the-tree and "roll the windows down when it's hot" air conditioning. Still it was fun for me and my brother in the back seat on trips. We amused ourselves by poking sticks down through the holes in the rusted out floorboard and dragging them on the road as we rode along.

Originally Posted by Byzantinemo
I always loved GM cars of the 40's through 60's, but after about 1970, it seems like they turned in rust-buckets and junkpiles. I really did like the Pontiac Grand Prix from the early '60's to '68 when it was still based on the full size Pontiac platform. There's a guy I see driving around town occasionally who has a mint-condition '67 Grand Prix that I'd love to drive.

As a kid in Texas, I was always fascinated by the mid-fifties GM cars - and Lincolns - with factory air that had the trunk-mounted units with clear plexiglass tubes in the back window to route the cold air into the headliner-mounted outlets.

Sadly, my family's car at the time was a second-hand '54 Chevy sedan with a straight six, three-on-the-tree and "roll the windows down when it's hot" air conditioning. Still it was fun for me and my brother in the back seat on trips. We amused ourselves by poking sticks down through the holes in the rusted out floorboard and dragging them on the road as we rode along.

I always thought the '68 Grand Prix was a good looking car, with the halo vinyl roof, hideaway headlights, and the unique rear end treatment. Pontiac execs didn't think so. One called it "a big fat turkey that nobody bought".

http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Pontiac/1968_Pontiac_Grand_Prix_2dr_Sport_Coupe-03.jpg

I agree! Thanks for the '68 Grand Prix pic...

S

D
D
Originally Posted by Administrator
I know it is not a classic in the proper sense of the word but it was a fun car to drive (I love 5 speed stick shifts!).

I like my six smile

But you'd really think that with six gears, at least *one* would be an overdrive, but no; it's not even a particularly high gear. I turn nearly 3500 RPM going 70 . . .

hawk, who wants two overdrive gears added to his transmission [and would also like an overdrive Turbo-400 for his '72 Eldorado]

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Did anyone else, besides me, ever own a Checker? I loved that big box. What I had was not the Marathon [jalopnik.com] - which was a beautiful beast in itself - but the simplistically named A-11 [scattercreek.com], the basic taxi model.

Sitting in the back seat, even I - at 6'2" could stretch out my legs and not touch the rear of the front seat, despite it being fully set back.

No, it wasn't elegant nor a speed demon, but it was fun - and near indestructable.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
S
S
Did it have the little pop-up seats in the floor (horribly unsafe, since they had no locks)? My grandfather drove a cab in New York, and would give us rides in the Checker. We loved sitting on those little round seats, and I for one was crushed when he traded it in for some sort of Oldsmobile.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stuart

It did indeed have them - the actual terminology was 'jumpseat'; there were two, a third could be had as an additional option. By the time I bought mine - a 1972 - bought new, they did lock in place. There was another alternative. a 'jumpbench', but it would have added a bit more to the price than I could afford at the time.

One could easily sit 4 across comfortably on the back seat, as the floor was nearly flat across. Ground clearance height was such that most of the drivetrain hung below floor level and it barely raised a bump in the middle.

For long distance driving, the Checker and my 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis Station Wagon were the most comfortable cars I ever owned. Others were sportier. but those 2 - 1 as utilitarian as you could ever imagine, and the other the absolute height of elegance for a wagon - were my favorites for their incredible versatility.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Originally Posted by StuartK
Did it have the little pop-up seats in the floor (horribly unsafe, since they had no locks)? My grandfather drove a cab in New York, and would give us rides in the Checker. We loved sitting on those little round seats, and I for one was crushed when he traded it in for some sort of Oldsmobile.

Ahhh...nostalgia. You just reminded me of my childhood. Whenever we went to 'the city' (that is how New Yorkers from the boroughs and even the suburbs refer to Manhattan) and needed to get around, those were always a fun way...they were the best taxi cabs ever...just as nice and roomy as the black cabs of London. (Do they exist anymore?)

When travelling with family or a group of friends, there was no worry that you wouldn't all fit. Ofcourse, we children loved to take the cute little round pop-up seats (which seemed to be designed-- or so we thought-- just for us!)

Here's a few pics of one of the nicest '70 Pontiac Bonnevilles I've ever seen. The Rally II wheels are the icing on the cake.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boozysmurf/2834039306/in/set-72157607436965695/

How about the sticker price of $5,499.48. Just imagine what it would cost to build that same car today! shocked

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.