The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick, EasternChristian
5,999 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 247 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,398
Posts416,768
Members5,999
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
A
John: Thanks for the humor...badly needed in some of these forum topics

J
J
You are most welcome. It's not only humorous, but also true!

S
S
So, the Catholicos is Irish? Father Serge will be pleased.

OP Offline
Last week, a guy appeared in my Orkut profile (a type of Facebook very popular in Brazil) asking if my photo was of the "Kyrios Kyr Gregory III" (and indeed was of our Patriarch!). I asked him about and he said that the Former Eparch of Brazil, Msg. Spiridon Mattar, who is serving in a Latin Church he himself built, taught them that, even through a pamphlet with the photo of H.B.

Moran Mor (Maran Mar) is Syriac for Lord/Master, but usually translated as His Beatitude/His Holiness.. similar to Despota in Slavic..

Baselios is the name of the Malankara Catholicos, as Ignathios is always the name of the Syriac Patriarch.

Cleemis is Syriac for Clement, as His Beatitude's episcopal name prior to election as Catholicos was Isaac Mor Cleemis.

Mor/Mar is used for all bishops, Aboon Mar/Mor for certain Archbishops and in the Great Intercessions when praying for our particular bishop or all of them.

The Syriac title we use for the Holy Father is Mor/Mar Papa.

OP Offline
And the Coptic "Amba", as in His Beatitude Amba Antonios I, is also "Lord"?

F
F
An Irish Catholicos? Fr. Serge is indeed pleased. Title will no doubt include Armagh and the Gaels and the style "Arn Uasalathair".

But I would suggest that he should be called The Moran, to avoid possible confusion. The Patriarchal Court might perhaps find a place for The Magillicudy of the Reeks.

M
M
Philippe, "Amba" or really "Anba" (but you pronounce the 'n' as an 'm' due to its proximity to the bilabial consonant 'b') merely means 'father'. It is the Coptic equivalent of "Abouna".

OP Offline
Has anyone already seen the register I made reference: "Kyrios Kyr" to Byzantine Patriarches?

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Philippe,

Kyrios Kyr would probably translate as Lord (and) Master. Kyr is used, I believe, by the Serbs (Father Ambrose?), among others, as the Slavs use Vladika and the Arabs use Sayedna. I have seen Kyr Kyr used (and never understood why) - but not Kyrios Kyr (perhaps Kyr Kyr is a shortened form of Kyrios Kyr).

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.