The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Halogirl5, MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick
6,000 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 375 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,400
Posts416,779
Members6,000
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Administrator
I tried splitting the posts but the software did not allow it. Unfortunately, the post cannot be split. You can certainly re-post if your post was lost. It would have been nicer if you asked what happened rather than simply complaining about a bad job being done.
Sorry, I became irritated and posted without thinking.

I'll try not to do it again.

John
John
I found the orphaned posts and added them back to this thread. Sorry for the inconvenience.

S
S
Thanks for clearing that point up for me; it makes sense...now what would REALLY have surprised me is if MY name had been on the list of cardinal-designates.

S
S
Just to cover all bases, I thought he was talking about the Pope of ROME. It wouldn't be good to forget about the Coptic Orthodox Pope of Alexandria, Pope Shenouda 3rd.

Several years ago he visited the Dallas/Ft. Worth area - a banquet was held in his honor & he was introduced by the mayor of the suburb where the event was held. The poor man introduced him as "Pope Shenoody of the Coptic Orthodontic Church".

That just beat all. I swear this is true. I'm insufficiently original to have invented it.

I'm eversopleased to have been there for it.

Last edited by sielos ilgesys; 10/23/10 12:02 AM.
A
A
Originally Posted by Latin Catholic
Originally Posted by Amadeus
A further clarification:

Although cardinals at the age of 80 and over are not eligible to vote in a conclave, the rules do not exclude them from being considered and voted upon as the next Pope.
There is no rule that the next Pope has to be a cardinal or even a bishop. In fact, any baptized Catholic man can be elected pope.

Add these 4 over-80 cardinal-designates to the 77 over-80 members of the current College of Cardinals.

Amado
Of course they will be. They are only "honorary" in the sense that they will be non-voting. Otherwise all cardinals over 80 are full members of the College of Cardinals.

(1) We have no disagreement on this. My point though was that there are no rules precluding one of the 80 and over cardinals to be elected as the next Pope.

Can you please cite the source of your quoted statement: ". . . any baptized Catholic man can be elected pope"? Should we not qualify that Catholic man to be at least 18 years old?

(2) Electing the next Pope is just one of the functions of the College of Cardinals, although it is, visibly, its most important function. Thus, although the 80 and over cardinals do not take part in the conclave, they help run the Catholic Church during the interregnum through the various congregations they must attend. In more ways than one, the title "Cardinal" is NOT honorary!

Amadeus #354868 10/23/10 01:00 AM
L
OP Offline
L
(1) [...]
Can you please cite the source of your quoted statement: ". . . any baptized Catholic man can be elected pope"? Should we not qualify that Catholic man to be at least 18 years old?
I can't cite one particular source, because it is hard to prove a negative. The laws of the Church are silent on the requirements or qualifications for papal candidates (cf. CIC cann. 331-335 [vatican.va]; Apostolic Constitution Universi Dominici Gregis [vatican.va]). In fact, the laws are more concerned with the qualifications of the electors than of the person to be elected. Therefore, it seems the only absolute requirements are those provided by divine law, i.e. that the person should be male and baptized, or at least willing to be baptized. This is because by divine law no one can receive the sacrament of ordination without being male and baptized. All the rest (age, academic qualifications, previous experience etc.) is Church law, not divine law.

Of course this is all highly theoretical. I believe the last non-cardinal to be elected pope was Bartolomeo Prignano, Archbishop of Bari, who reigned as Pope Urban VI [en.wikipedia.org] from 1378 to 1389. In practice, therefore, there is virtually no chance that anyone except a cardinal is going to be elected pope. It is also highly unlikely that anyone over 80 would be elected. I understand the oldest person to be elected pope was 79-year-old Cardinal Emilio Bonaventura Altieri, who reigned as Pope Clement X [en.wikipedia.org] from 1670 to 1676. In the end, though, it is for the cardinal-electors to assess the suitability of papal candidates, and successive popes have, perhaps wisely, deemed it best not to restrict their choice.

(2) Electing the next Pope is just one of the functions of the College of Cardinals, although it is, visibly, its most important function. Thus, although the 80 and over cardinals do not take part in the conclave, they help run the Catholic Church during the interregnum through the various congregations they must attend. In more ways than one, the title "Cardinal" is NOT honorary!
Agreed. It is a frequently used, but somewhat misleading description.

Rybak #354890 10/23/10 05:36 PM
D
D
Originally Posted by Rybak
Lypher,

To answer your question, Pope Benedict XVI. Currently holding the chair of St. Peter.

Given the past tense used, namely "was", I think the correct answer is that John Paul II, "was the last", while Benedict XVI is the current . . .

smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.