The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala, Halogirl5
6,004 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 436 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,404
Posts416,800
Members6,004
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
Does anyone know where I might get one?

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Dan,

Holy Virgin Mary & ST Pishoy Coptic Orthodox Church in LA

http://www.theotokos.org/church-icons/evangelists-pillars.html#athanasius

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
F
F
Sorry; Coptic icons don't do much for me.

Fr. Serge

S
S
I like 'em & that's a good source from which to obtain them. I have a nice one of the Wedding at Cana I got from them.

A self-appointed, self-anointed "artiste" I know, however, told me Coptic icons look cartoonish.

OP Offline
Thanks for the source but where is the one that has St. Athanasius standing atop Arius?

OP Offline
Yes, they are cartoonish but I've seen and used to use the icon of St. Athanasius standing atop Arius and loved it. That's the icon I'm after. Sadly, through changes in the computer, I have lost the image.

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by carson daniel lauffer
Thanks for the source but where is the one that has St. Athanasius standing atop Arius?

LOL, Dan, you can't have everything ... however, I'll check my sources and see what I can find.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Originally Posted by sielos ilgesys
A self-appointed, self-anointed "artiste" I know, however, told me Coptic icons look cartoonish.

sielos,

There is some truth to this - at least in the sense that the images in some renditions are of a simpler style than most Byzantine iconography; I'd be rather more inclined to describe them as being painted in what we'd consider a folk art style - which makes them neither less holy nor less worthy of veneration.

That the style doesn't appeal to some is neither a negative reflection on those individuals nor on the style. There are a myriad of diverse iconographic styles and one can hardly expect to be equally spoken to by each. Actually, among the Copts there are, at the very least, two styles - one of which shows considerable Byzantine influence.

The folk art style is also seen in Ethiopian [flickr.com] and Eritrean [pluralism.org] iconography.

It can also be found among some peoples whose ritual heritage is Byzantine. See, for example, this icon of the Circumcision [web.archive.org] or this Theotokos [web.archive.org].

Many years,

Neil

J
J
Neil

Thanks for an, as usual, highly educational post. I am sure most of us would never have seen those icons without your links.

Jim

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Jim,

Thanks for the kind words. I realize that I should have given links to the 'Old' and "New' Coptic styles. These are courtesy of the Wayback Machine, as the commercial site which originally hosted them is, regretably, no longer active.

Old Coptic [web.archive.org]

New Coptic [web.archive.org]

This particular 'New' style one shows some, but not a lot of Byzantine influence. Myself, I find the 'Old' style more attractive.

The Byzantine icons that I linked above, btw, since someone PMed to ask, are Slovak in origin.

Many years,

Neil

Last edited by Irish Melkite; 08/18/11 11:57 AM.

Here is the site of one of the greatest living Neo-Coptic iconographers. I find nothing "cartoonish" about his work. Of course there are other iconographers with varying degrees of talent, and matters of taste ultimately rest with the individual.

Dr Stephane Rene - Coptic Iconography [copticiconography.org]

Thanks for the link. I love Neo-Coptic Icons.

G
G
Originally Posted by carson daniel lauffer

There is this version [dominicanfriars.org] or this other version. [4.bp.blogspot.com]

Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Good job, GC!

Dan, I find that I overlooked one at the online store of the Coptic church in LA -

here [theotokos.org]

Many years,

Neil

OP Offline
That's it! Thanks for your determined effort in finding this. Finally, a source for my favorite Athanasian icon. I know it's more primitive but look beneath his feet.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.