The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Halogirl5, MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick
6,000 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 414 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,400
Posts416,779
Members6,000
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#390210 01/26/13 07:22 PM
L
OP Offline
L
I am going to throw out this question for my won curiosity. How is it that the Eastern Rites have such wide latitude in the way the faith is presented to the faithful? You have St. Elias in Brampton Ont.(more orthodox than Orthodox) on one hand and the church in my area (keeping the identity quiet for obvious reasons) that is pretty loosey goosey with tradition. I would think that there would be a standard from the Eparchy for all to follow.

True. Then on the other end of the spectrum, you have some Eastern Churches that are more "Latinized" in their traditions, where they recite half the Divine Liturgy, where no censers are used, and all that stuff. I'm hoping that there will be standards soon, much like you, in terms of bringing the true Byzantine tradition back to the UGCC, and to make sure that we can really evangelize at the same time. Easier said than done in this secular society, but...I'm pretty sure that if we could return to the real traditions, we can bring back the faithful that we've lost during our "reinventing the wheel" if you will.

Oh, and I've seen YT Videos on St. Elias, and I almost thought it was like looking at a ROCOR Church. You're right, that's probably the most traditional I've seen yet from a UGCC parish. They should be a role model to others that wish to seek the real traditions.

Last edited by 8IronBob; 01/26/13 07:27 PM.
S
S
Father Robert Taft identified the source of the problem back in 1999. Nothing much has changed since then:

Opposition to Renewal

Ironically, however, the Eastern Catholic liturgical renewal so strenuously fostered by the Holy See since Pope Leo XIII has been opposed every step of the way by those who should have welcomed it on bended knee as a great grace from God; I mean, of course, the Eastern Catholic hierarchy with a few notable exceptions like Andrij Sheptytsky (1865-1944), Archbishop of Lviv, Metropolitan of Halych, and primate of the Ukranian Greek Catholic Church.

Various reasons have been given for this opposition, but as usual in such matters, the real roots go much deeper. The real issue is not ritual practice at all. Many of the rubrical niceties that divide the clergy�the size and shape of the veil or diskos, the cut of a vestment, the amplitude of one�s sleeves, where to put the antimension�are of little or no significance in themselves. But these divergent ritual uses have become symbols of religious identity, much as the Ritualist Movement in late 19th century Anglicanism. At issue were not mere differences of rubric, but symbolic affirmations of the conviction that Anglicanism was not �Protestant� but �Catholic�.

At bottom, then, what we face is two different interpretations of a community�s past, two different historical visions. This is possible because history, of course, is not just a shared past, but one�s view of that past seen through the lens of present concerns. This vision is not a passive view of the past as an objective reality, but a pattern formed through a process of selection determined by one�s present outlook.

Some Eastern Catholic clergy see their history as a progress from schism and spiritual stagnation into a life of discipline, renewal and restored religious practice in the Catholic communion. For this group, the adoption of certain Latin�they would say �Catholic��devotions and liturgical uses is a sign of this new identity. Such attitudes reflect an interior erosion of the Eastern Christian consciousness, a �latinization of the heart� resulting from a formation insensitive to the true nature of the variety of traditions within the Catholic Church.

Others, while not denying their commitment to the Catholic communion nor underestimating the obvious spiritual benefits it has brought to their Churches, see themselves as Orthodox in communion with Rome, distinguished from their Orthodox Sister Churches in nothing but the fact of that communion and its doctrinal and ecclesial consequences. They see the Latinisms that have crept into their tradition as a loss of identity, an erosion of their heritage in favor of foreign customs with which they can in no way identify themselves. For some, latinization is a sign of their identity, for others its negation, and both are right, because they perceive themselves differently.

Underlying these issues, of course, is the more serious question of Rome�s credibility: is the Holy See to be believed in what it says about restoring the Eastern Catholic heritage? The morale of some of the younger Eastern Catholic clergy has of late been deeply affected by this cul-de-sac: they feel mandated to do one thing by the Holy See, and then are criticized or even disciplined by their bishop if they try to obey.

The problem, as usual, is one of leadership, without which the hesitant or reluctant have no one to follow. What is needed is not just discipline and obedience, but also clergy education loyal to the clear policy of the Church on this question, and prudent pastoral preparation. This is the only way out of the vicious cycle that has been created: the proposed reforms are resisted because the clergy and the people are not prepared to accept them�yet some Church leaders do little or nothing to prepare the people for a renewal that the leaders themselves do not understand or accept.

Well, at least the Ruthenians are still considered more traditional in terms of singing most of the DL, and using the censer, and having Matins and Vespers when they're called for. At least under Bishop John Kudrick, things are pretty traditional in terms of how I see things when I head to parishes where higher clergy presides (higher clergy = Archpriest or above).

After the Second Vatican Council, it has been said that the Eastern Rite should return to traditions that we are used to, and to become less "Latinized" over time. However, judging by how the article StuartK just posted, it seems like there are some Churches that just don't feel the obligation to return to their true tradition. It's sad in a way, because it almost takes the real feel of the Divine Liturgy out of the equation. I'm hoping that there'll be something that can be done to remedy that in time.

L
OP Offline
L
Addendum to my original post. A full Divine Liturgy done in just over 45 minutes. Heck, it takes me longer than that to drive to church.

S
S
A full Divine Liturgy done in just over 45 minutes.

Only if you are doing it wrong.

Well, then again, a Theophany Eve with the Compline, and the Blessing of the Water with Vespers, and the like, it could take upwards of 2 hours, so there's the other extreme.

Originally Posted by Icanthony
Addendum to my original post. A full Divine Liturgy done in just over 45 minutes. Heck, it takes me longer than that to drive to church.

Yeah, maybe when you have a small congregation during a weeknight, and they bypass the Homily, etc... I can see this as being the case.

Last edited by 8IronBob; 01/26/13 11:44 PM.
L
OP Offline
L
I'm talking "the" Sunday Divine Liturgy including a Eucharistic minister to hurry things along.

S
S
As I said--doing it wrong.

S
S
From the same essay, Taft identified what he considered specific liturgical problems facing Eastern Catholic Churches in the United States:

Appendix
Liturgical Problems in North America

All of the above are of course purely clerical problems, despite routine clerical pretense that one cannot do this or that �because of the people�. That is true only when the clergy have brainwashed the people into rejecting what the clergy themselves refuse to do.

But apart from such theological and liturgical issues as those outlined above, what are some of the concrete problems of Eastern liturgy in North America? I restrict my horizon to North America because I have never set foot in Latin America or Oceania, and am not in the habit of discussion what I know nothing about. That excellent document, the 1996 Instruction for Applying the Liturgical Prescriptions of the Code of Canons for the Eastern Churches, provides a full anthology of the Holy See�s teaching and discipline on the concrete problems of Eastern Catholic liturgy today. A short list of some of the specific problems faced in North America would, in my view, include the following:

1. The rule forbidding the ordination of married men to the priesthood and the drastic decline in vocations to the celibate priesthood and religious life have reduced some Church to a precarious state in providing pastoral-liturgical care for their people, with resulting losses to the Church of large numbers of the faithful.

2. The problem of translations of liturgical texts into English. Some of the English translations presently in use or under review for approval are excellent; others are semi-literate at best. There is a crying need for a complete English version of all the liturgical texts, including all the propers. And of course, ideally that work would be done in common by all the jurisdictions or eparchies using the same rite.

3. Intimately linked to the problem of translation is, of course, the problem of liturgical music. To translate a text into another language may destroy the language rhythms and cadences for which the music was composed. In some parishes in North America, the active participation of the congregation in singing the liturgy is admirable; in others, less so.

4. In discussing the problem of translations, I adverted to a more fundamental issue: the lack of collaboration and unity among the various jurisdictions of the Byzantine tradition�in some cases, even among eparchies in the same Church�not only in the preparation of the liturgical texts, but in other areas affecting the liturgy, such as clergy formation and catechesis. This is not only impractical, it is a scandal.

5. Church design is another basic liturgical issue. A church must be built according to the demands of the rite to be celebrated therein. There are still Byzantine churches in the U.S. and Canada without an iconostasis�some of the built quite recently. How that is possible fifty-five years after the official publication of the Oriental Congregation, the Ordo Celebrationis Vesperarum, Matutini et Divinae Liturgiae iuxta Recensionem Ruthenorum, appeared in May 1944? Ordo secs. 1-6 deal explicitly with the proper arrangement of the sanctuary and altar; Sec. 6 states that an altar without an iconostasis�even a side altar�is not considered suitable for liturgical celebrations. The same teaching is resumed in Instruction, Sec. 104.

6. Of course, it does no good to have a properly arranged church building if the services are not celebrated, and a major liturgical problem is the decline and in some cases, the disappearance of the public celebration of Vespers, Matins, Presanctified and other offices, an issue also addressed in Instruction, Secs. 97-98.

7. In that context, the Instruction rightly draws attention to the need for a renewal and fostering of the liturgy of the bishop�s cathedral (Sec. 56), of monasticism (Sec.98) as the cradle where the liturgical cycle of offices can be celebrated with completeness and full solemnity. It has always been the tradition of at least certain forms of Eastern monasticism to be open to the active participation of others in the services, and Eastern monasteries near urban centers have always been places of pilgrimage, especially for participation in the offices of the great feasts and for spiritual direction.

8. Even when the services are celebrated, especially the Eucharist, they have to be celebrated properly. Some priests celebrate magnificently, with due reverence, devotion and respect for the tradition, in obedience to the explicit command of Inter ecumenici, the September 26, 1964 Instruction for the Proper Implementation of the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, that �Liturgical ceremonies should be celebrated with the utmost perfection� (Sec.13). Others celebrate at breakneck speed their own private selective version of what they have decided the liturgy should be, convinced that the laity do not want to spend any more time in church than they do.

9. Preaching is another area that needs attention. Of course, preparing a homily requires study and work. But proclaiming and preaching God�s Word is an essential part of liturgy, as is perfectly obvious in the theology and pastoral activities of the Fathers of the Church in both East and West.

10. Also pastorally serious is the decline, even the collapse, of the Church�s Lenten and penitential discipline, including in some cases even the sacrament of reconciliation, and fasting during the Church�s other �Lents�. Of course, if the clergy themselves do not celebrate the Lenten services or observe and personal ascetic discipline, it is hard to see how one can convince the laity that they should.

11. Numerous abuses stigmatized, reproved, and forbidden explicitly or implicitly in the 1996 Instruction or the earlier 1944 Ordo Celebrationis can still be seen in North America: the use of pre-cut prosphoras and particles in the Byzantine Prothesis or Rite of Preparation of the Gifts (Ordo, sec. 98ff); Baptism of infants by aspersion instead of immersion (Instruction, Sec.48); failing to compelete the Rites of Christian Initiation by communicating infants (CCEO, Canons 697, 710; Instruction, sec.51); mob concelebrations wit concelebrants participating outside the sanctuary enclosure (Instruction, Sec. 57); priests serving as deacons (Instruction, Sec.75); etc.

12. As for latinizations such as �low Mass�, for one who knows something about the authentic liturgical traditions of the Christian East, they are not even worth discussion.

This short list reflects deficiencies in what are, of course, the basic issues underlying almost all the problems of pastoral liturgy: religious education, clergy formation, and leadership. With respect to the latter, there pops up in mind again the old and still unanswered question, �Quis custodies ipsos custodiet?�

E
E
Originally Posted by lcanthony
I'm talking "the" Sunday Divine Liturgy including a Eucharistic minister to hurry things along.

A WHAT?????!!!!!!?????

Originally Posted by Irish_Ruthenian
Originally Posted by lcanthony

A WHAT?????!!!!!!?????

Yeah, really, that Eucharistic Minister is such a Roman tradition.

J
J
Originally Posted by StuartK
From the same essay, Taft identified what he considered specific liturgical problems facing Eastern Catholic Churches in the United States:

12. As for latinizations such as �low Mass�, for one who knows something about the authentic liturgical traditions of the Christian East, they are not even worth discussion.

This short list reflects deficiencies in what are, of course, the basic issues underlying almost all the problems of pastoral liturgy: religious education, clergy formation, and leadership. With respect to the latter, there pops up in mind again the old and still unanswered question, �Quis custodies ipsos custodiet?�
The Ruthenian custodian bishops of the Liturgy have made permanent the "LOW MASS" in a form they call the "Revised Divine Liturgy." And they insist that Taft wanted all this! And that it was required by Rome!

And I'm wondering what the "Low Mass" meant after the Second Vatican Council, when we were ordered to return to our traditional roots.

Last edited by 8IronBob; 01/30/13 01:47 AM.
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Folks,

If we're going to get specifically into RDL issues, please take it to the RDL sub-forum. Thanks.

Many years,

Neil

"One day all our ethnic traits ... will have disappeared. Time itself is seeing to this. And so we can not think of our communities as ethnic parishes, ... unless we wish to assure the death of our community."
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.