The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MSC2024SN1, Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala
6,005 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 188 guests, and 89 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,403
Posts416,807
Members6,005
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#399028 09/10/13 05:55 PM
J
Jaya Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Is anyone familiar with the Hermitage of the Holy Cross, a ROCOR monastery in West Virginia?

I just found out that they have recently established a skete about 20 minutes from where I live. I'm planning to visit it soon, and I'd like to learn something about the W VA monastery, if anyone is familiar with it or has visited it.

Jaya:

Glory be to Jesus Christ!!

Have you checked out their website?

www.holycross-hermitage.com/ [holycross-hermitage.com]

Bob

C
C
Originally Posted by Jaya
Is anyone familiar with the Hermitage of the Holy Cross, a ROCOR monastery in West Virginia?

I just found out that they have recently established a skete about 20 minutes from where I live. I'm planning to visit it soon, and I'd like to learn something about the W VA monastery, if anyone is familiar with it or has visited it.

Do you have the address of the Skete?

J
Jaya Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Bob,

Yes, I've already been looking at their website, but I just wondered if anyone had any personal experience or impressions to share.

J
Jaya Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by chadrook
Do you have the address of the Skete?
Yes, they are on Allyn Road in Hiram (Ohio).

Until recently, it was an OCA Monastery (St John the Theologian), but the monk I spoke with today, Fr. Nektarios, said that the 2 OCA monks have now retired to the Ukraine, and that it is now the Skete of St John the Theologian under ROCOR. He and one other monk were sent here from the Hermitage of the Holy Cross in W VA to establish this as a skete of Holy Cross.

Last edited by Jaya; 09/10/13 07:15 PM.
Dear Jaya,

Please forgive me - it's just "Ukraine." "The Ukraine" applied in Soviet (and Tsarist) times.

Happily, they are no more.

God bless,

Alex

J
Jaya Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Alex,

Nothing to forgive. As I was writing it, I couldn't decide what to write, because there was something in the back of my head telling me that it was now just "Ukraine." I must have heard or read that somewhere (maybe here on the forum), but I wasn't sure. I actually changed it back and forth a few times before I posted it!

Dear Jaya,

Not a problem at all!

Even Ukrainians have trouble looking at themselves as a free nation.

I understand that even the Sheptytsky Institute prefers to write the capital city of Ukraine as "Kiev!"

Although I was once extremely offensive to the Administrator over that nonsense, today I couldn;t care less! smile

I believe the Administrator hails from Virgenia . . . smile

Alex

S
S
"The Ukraine" applied in Soviet (and Tsarist) times.

"The" Ukraine refers to the border region between Muscovy and Poland; it's an historically valid term, within an historical context. The modern nation state called Ukraine occupies a portion of the region once known as "the Ukraine".

An English language equivalent of "the Ukraine" would be "the Marches" (as in the border between England and Wales) or "the Borders" (the region separating England and Scotland).

Dear Stuart,

"The borderland" came from the error of translating the Slavonic "Oukrayiny" which does indeed mean "borderlands."

But it is a myth that this is the source of the name "Ukrayina" which has no "Ou" at the beginning.

The former word was used by Russia and Poland in a hegemonic sense which was later used to deny that "Ukraine" ever existed.

In fact, the name "Ukraine" occurs six times in the "litopysy" beginning in 1169. From what I've read by scholars "over there" nowadays, the term was popular among the people as their self-identifying name, whereas "Rus'" was the administrative name of St Volodymyr's/Vladimir's empire.

"The Ukraine" was always seen by Ukies in this negative light and while I don't deny any discussion such as you have raised, it just isn't going to "play in Peoria." Peoria, Ukraine, that is.

Alex

D
DMD Offline
D
I understand the point and the sensitivity of Ukrainians and I personally do not refer to Ukraine as 'the'.

However, to native English speakers, the distinction is not always wrapped around any historical narative but rather, it is simply within the peculiarities of the spoken English language. We refer to 'the United States', 'the Netherlands', 'the Philipines' or 'the United Kindgom' for example, without meaning or implying any pejorative or lack of sovreignity. On the other hand, we don't place 'the' in front of France, Germany or Italy as a counterpoint. We did, however, refer to 'the USSR' back in the day.

Likewise, English speakers also can refer to a non-sovereign region such as 'the Badlands' or 'the Outer Banks' in a totally non-perjorative manner. Likewise, I live in 'upstate New York.' No one calls it 'the upstate.' Nor does anyone refer to 'Cape Cod' as 'the Cape Cod.' That would sound odd, to say the least. (But you would refer to 'the Cape of Horn.')

So, when English speakers use the 'the' in regards to Ukraine, Ukrainians should not assume that any insult is intended as the sensitivity to the distinction is simply not behind the use of the 'the'. For example, a flurry of indignant letters to the local tv station following a Ukrainian Independence Day 'puff piece' about flag raising will only result in the event not being covered next time around.

No wonder why my grandparents never quite got the hang of English. smile

S
S
If only your grandparents had have had a guide like this one, making the rounds of British media [bbcamerica.com], DMD.

Enjoy.

D
DMD Offline
D
Lol....

Getting back to the topic, I have been very impressed by this website--the monastery has an exceptional gift store, and offers molebens to various saints for the faithful, in exchange for the customary donation.

I would also be interested to hear if anyone has been there...

Slavipodviznik/Alexandr, maybe?!?

I found this on the internet: (a woman and her family visit the monastery; from her blog)

http://dailyweaving.blogspot.com/2011/06/monastery-visits-part-i-holy-cross.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.