The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick, EasternChristian
5,999 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 247 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,398
Posts416,768
Members5,999
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
OP Offline
L
Hello, I'm a convert to Catholicism, I have recently taken an interest in the Melkite Church. I was wondering if a few specific questions could be answered that I have on my mind:

1) If I wanted to pray the Byzantine-rite Divine Office, how many books would I need? If I bought the Arbp. +Joseph Raya "Byzantine Daily Worship" would I have everything I need, or is it abbreviated--and if so, how would I be able to pray the Office fully without shelling out hundreds of dollars?

2) What Bible translation is used by the Melkites for English liturgy? (If it has to be specified: in the USA, and in Syria?)

3) I have noticed that a lot of liturgical books, like the Octoechos, don't seem to have any music printed in them, even though they are meant to be chanted. Am I to take this to mean that if one knows the tone for the text, one could chant it without any sheet music? Where could I learn how to do this for the Melkite liturgy?

Thank you for the help!

Welcome to Byzcath and the Melkites!

I'm sure Irish Melkite will chime in!

The Raya will give you the complete office. However, some of the verbiage was changed, so it will sound different in your parish.

A lot of Melkites use the Orthodox Study Bible, which to me is an updated King James. I still use my original Jerusalem Bible.

Sadly, it should be the same for all, however, it can vary.
This is from my parish, St George in Birmingham AL
http://saintgeorgeonline.org/music-and-chant/.
Then on the front page of our site is Christ is Risen.

Forgot the other link for Christ is Risen. http://saintgeorgeonline.org/

L
OP Offline
L
Thank you very much for the reply and links! -- am I to take [2] to mean that the Lectionary readings at a Melkite liturgy are from the OSB or KJV in the Eparchy of Newton?

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.