The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn, Pater Patrick, EasternChristian
5,999 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 257 guests, and 54 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,398
Posts416,768
Members5,999
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#409993 12/19/14 10:40 AM
OP Offline
A blessed St Nicholas Day to all who observe it on the Old Calendar today!

On this day a number of miraculous icons of St Nicholas are also honoured.

Last week, a group of citizens moved away from the military conflict in eastern Ukraine to Kyiv and brought with them a very ancient icon of St Nicholas that was so old that its features were indistinguishable.

As a Moleben was being served before it, the icon renewed itself before everyone's eyes - a new St Nicholas miracle! www.orthodox.org.ua [orthodox.org.ua] has a picture of the renewed icon (a few stories down the centre).

Holy Hierarch St Nicholas the Wonderworker, Archbishop of Myra in Lycia, pray unto God for us!

Alex

G
G
Χρόνια Πολλά!!!

Garaj

May St. Nicholas, known for his generosity and humility, intercede for all of us today and always. May we strive to emulate his example of both these virtues.

Bob

M
M
Yes! Happy Feastday, whatever calendar you prefer...The church I attend is in fact St. Nicholas Cathedral, which had a liturgy today, but observes the parish feast the following Sunday. It too has in icon of St. Nicholas, brought by a DP after the War, which has self renewed.

OP Offline
Dear Mark,

How fascinating!

Is there an online picture of this Icon?

Alex

M
M
This does not show it too well, in the wooden in the middle (close up one can see lots of votive offering):

http://www.saintnicholascathedral.org/images/photos/st_nicholas_icon.jpg

Unfortunately, I use a ten year old Nokia phone without a camera. I have a tablet with a camera, but it is unwieldy and I try to be inconspicuous. There are other goodies worth photographing there in future: St. John Maximovich reposed in rooms above the parish trapeza, so the church has his orlets from Shanghai (the building represented on it is a pagoda), and his daily wear cross and panagia (which he made himself!).
It is a very nice church, as you can see from other pictures. When I was younger I used to wish the icons were more traditional, but really, considering how many times the liturgy has been held there, they are pretty holy on their own now. (Shame on the OCA and Greek Catholics for upgrading their icons frequently.)

OP Offline
Thank you very much sir!

Miraculous St Nicholas icons are truly a great blessing (Mt Athos has five miraculous St George icons and a few more of other Saints).

And what fascinating facts about St John of Shanghai!! You are lucky indeed!

Alex

Moderated by  Irish Melkite, theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.