The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala, Halogirl5
6,004 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 436 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,404
Posts416,800
Members6,004
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
mardukm Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I recall reading on a Catholic website dedicated to the renewal of the Eastern and Oriental traditions that the Armenian Rite is from the Antiochene liturgical tradition. Has anyone ever heard of this claim?

Sorry I cannot provide a link to the website. The matter just popped into my head and I saw the website several months ago.

Blessings

M
M
Originally Posted by mardukm
I recall reading on a Catholic website dedicated to the renewal of the Eastern and Oriental traditions that the Armenian Rite is from the Antiochene liturgical tradition. Has anyone ever heard of this claim?

Yes, and AFAIK it is also true.

M
mardukm Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the response, brother. I've never been do to a Badarak. If you've been to one, what would you say makes it more akin to the Antiochene liturgy than, say, the Constantinopolitan, or Alexandrian, or ancient Latin Rite? Or maybe it's not the similarity that is the issue, but simply the origin?

Blessings

M
M
Originally Posted by mardukm
Thanks for the response, brother. I've never been do to a Badarak. If you've been to one, what would you say makes it more akin to the Antiochene liturgy than, say, the Constantinopolitan, or Alexandrian, or ancient Latin Rite? Or maybe it's not the similarity that is the issue, but simply the origin?

Blessings

Both the Byzantine and Armenian rites can be traced back to the Antiochene tradition. I can go back and forth among the three rites and more or less feel at home, whatever the language, music, etc. used. In contrast, it took a bit more effort for me to be comfortable with the Coptic rite.

If I had to describe the Armenian Badarak, I would say it is textually more "Byzantine" and ritually more "Syriac". By no means is that an entirely accurate summary, it's just the impression of a novice, but at that level, at least, I think it holds up fairly well.

Moderated by  Administrator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.