The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Eala, Halogirl5, MarianLatino, Bosconian_Jin, MissionIn
6,001 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (LausTibiChriste), 396 guests, and 66 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,400
Posts416,784
Members6,001
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
OP Offline
F
Hello all!
On Friday Popes Francis, Tawadros and Patriarch Bartholomew will meet in Cairo.
I believe this is the first time the three leaders/primus inter pares of the three largest Christian communions will be together, at least since Apostolic times...
Am I forgetting anything? Was there any more recent instance when a meeting such as this took place?
All the best?
Filipe

L
L
I don't believe so. This is certainly a historical event for all three Churches. We converge closer and closer to unity everyday.

It was reported that this was a first for all of the heads on the churches present. There were 3 popes and another 3 Patriarchs as well as a few other senior clergy present (suspect a Egyptian Anglican bishop was in the line up). Non of these heads of churches have ever been in the same place and talking together ever. They have all met each other on a one to one basis in various other places at different times. They were not strangers to each other.

F
OP Offline
F
Three popes? Who was the third?
I recognized Gregory III of the Melkites present, so that accounts for Antioch. Was there any Patriarch of Jerusalem there? That would mean a reunion of Patriarchs of the five apostolic sees!

G
G
Originally Posted by Filipe YTOL
Three popes? Who was the third?
The Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Alexandria is also known as the "Pope and Patriarch of Alexandria and All Africa".
I recognized Gregory III of the Melkites present, so that accounts for Antioch. Was there any Patriarch of Jerusalem there? That would mean a reunion of Patriarchs of the five apostolic sees!
The full tile of Melkite patriarchs is "Patriarch of Antioch and All the East, of Alexandria and Jerusalem of the Melkite Greek Catholic Church". So, yes, His Beatitude Gregory III's presence means there was a Patriarch of Jerusalem present.

The Coptic Catholic Patriarch was also in the lineup.

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.