The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala, Halogirl5
6,004 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 436 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,404
Posts416,800
Members6,004
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#417489 09/25/17 06:14 PM
OP Offline
Matthew 20:1-16a

We read this Gospel this past Sunday in the Latin Church. The visiting priest used it to remind us that, like the vineyard owner, God's ways are not our ways and His generosity is far beyond our comprehension or our own.

It occurred to me that there is also a deeper meaning here for us, too.

I have often run into people who think that they are superior in the eyes of God because they are "cradle" Catholics or Orthodox or other Christians. Like the workers who have labored all the day--as in all their lives--they sometimes think they are better or more favored than the one who comes late to the Faith or its practice. On the other hand, the truth here seems to me to be that we who have labored from our birth are no better than the one who may come late or even be a death-bed convert--though I don't recommend waiting for this opportunity. It seems to me that all that we are and all that we have, all that we will ever be or ever have is a gift. And so laboring in the Lord's service is a gift and a blessing that we ought to be thankful for and even more thankful when our ranks are swelled by the newcomer. It even occurred to me that I may need the extra effort of a full lifetime to wear the rough edges off before I am ready to account for my life.

On there other hand, I mourn the loss of anyone who gives up on the Faith and on Christ. In those cases I hear of, I ask myself if my example, my lived example, or some word of mine could be responsible. And I repent what I may have done out of human failing and even spiritual immaturity.

Bob

S
S
That's exactly what I got out of the parable as well. God loves everyone that makes his/her way into the Church regardless of when or how. We who have been blessed enough to have been raised as Christians from the beginning should rejoice when others repent, regardless of what may have come before. We're no better or worse than those converts and reverts.

As a non-cradle convert I can't help but recall this 19th century hymn by Anglican-turned -Catholic Frederick William Faber:

1 There's a wideness in God's mercy,
like the wideness of the sea.
There's a kindness in God's justice,
which is more than liberty.
There is no place where earth's sorrows
are more felt than up in heaven.
There is no place where earth's failings
have such kindly judgment given.

2 For the love of God is broader
than the measures of the mind.
And the heart of the Eternal
is most wonderfully kind.
If our love were but more faithful,
we would gladly trust God's Word,
and our lives reflect thanksgiving
for the goodness of our Lord.

Moderated by  theophan 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.