The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Drummerboy, FrankoMD, +resurrexi+, Eala, Halogirl5
6,004 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 436 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,404
Posts416,800
Members6,004
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
May Roman Catholics become aware that the Eastern Catholic Divine Liturgies are sacred and holy Masses (Divine Liturgies). It seems to me that the typical Roman Catholic is not knowledgeable or aware of the Eastern Catholic Churches or of their origin, centuries ago, from Orthodoxy.
Even the holy term, The Theotokos, is unfamiliar to many Roman Catholics.
I would like to suggest that Roman Catholic priests, from the pulpit, begin to teach about the UNIVERSALITY of the Catholic Church, how it is comprised of 22 or 23 sacred rites all in communion with Rome and the Roman pontiff.
Then perhaps invite an Eastern Catholic priest to speak to parishioners about Eastern Christianity and tell the faithful who the Theotokos is.
Then I would encourage all priests, Latin and Eastern, to pray for the reuniting of the separated Churches, Orthodox and Catholic, in unholy schism for the past thousand years do to bad decisions by churchmen on both sides. The emphasis should be that Christ and His apostles established ONE CHURCH. not a divided Church.
Signed by: Anaphora, July 30, 2019.

Eastern Catholics need to finally step-up and make their parishes known within the local Catholic community.

I am a Roman Catholic. Most Roman Catholics are unfamiliar with Catholicism, in general.

...and most all Catholics are unfamiliar with eschatology. Everyone talks and studies the End Times, except Catholics (for the most part).....and the End Times are about us !

I can not think of a better way to play directly into the hands of Satan.....than to stick our heads in the sand and be silent, as he slithers around stealing souls.

"Guard thyself then, O man; thou hast the signs of Antichrist; and remember them not only thyself, but impart them also freely to all. If thou hast a child according to the flesh, admonish him of this now; if thou hast begotten one through catechizing, put him also on his guard, lest he receive the false one as the True. For the mystery of iniquity doth already work. I fear these wars of the nations; I fear the schisms of the Churches; I fear the mutual hatred of the brethren. But enough on this subject; only God forbid that it should be fulfilled in our days; nevertheless, let us be on our guard." St. Cyril of Jerusalem, Bishop and Father of the Church; Lecture XV

E
E
Originally Posted by The Cub
I am a Roman Catholic. Most Roman Catholics are unfamiliar with Catholicism, in general.

...and most all Catholics are unfamiliar with eschatology. Everyone talks and studies the End Times, except Catholics (for the most part).....and the End Times are about us !
I can not think of a better way to play directly into the hands of Satan.....than to stick our heads in the sand and be silent, as he slithers around stealing souls

"Guard thyself then, O man; thou hast the signs of Antichrist; and remember them not only thyself, but impart them also freely to all. If thou hast a child according to the flesh, admonish him of this now; if thou hast begotten one through catechizing, put him also on his guard, lest he receive the false one as the True. For the mystery of iniquity doth already work. I fear these wars of the nations; I fear the schisms of the Churches; I fear the mutual hatred of the brethren. But enough on this subject; only God forbid that it should be fulfilled in our days; nevertheless, let us be on our guard." St. Cyril of Jerusalem, Bishop and Father of the Church; Lecture XV

???? And you know this how????

How does a defeated enemy steal anything? Yes, the evil one goes about causing a ton of evil, but all souls belong to Christ, who saved us from the enemy of our souls. Would Christ allow that which He paid for in His precious Blood and through agony to be stolen from Him by a third-rate cosmic clown?

S
S
I would agree that most Roman Catholics are not very knowledgeable about Eastern Catholicism. I was baptized Roman rite as an infant but confirmed Byzantine (Ruthenian). My understanding is I am still considered Roman rite but the Eastern Catholicism is in my heart.

I don't live near a Byzantine church but I do my best to help those in our Roman rite parish know about the Eastern church. I am the director of RCIA and have a specific session devoted to Eastern Catholicism as well as talk about it in the other groups I am part of. In fact, tonight in our men's group I will be starting with a prayer from my Byzantine prayer book. Three years ago I invited a Byzantine priest to come to our parish and do a presentation on the Eastern churches and the beauty found there. It was attended by over 30 parishioners as well as students from the local college. It's about time to do it again.

A
OP Offline
A
…...a correction by Anaphora, the author of this quote. The text should read....."due to bad decisions by churchmen on both sides"
Signed by Anaphora, January 28, 2020

A
OP Offline
A
To Scott Z from Anaphora, a Junior Member, in reply to your thread...…
I wish to congratulate you on the work that you are doing to introduce Eastern Catholicism to Latin Catholics. I am a Latin Catholic who has embraced Eastern Catholicism, Byzantine Ruthenian, in White Plains, NY.
I have tried to influence my Latin rite pastor to speak about Eastern Catholicism, even tell the parishioners who the Theotokos is. But I have not succeeded.
Eastern Catholic literature I have left within my Latin parish church seems to disappear. But I have not given up. I will continue to try to convince my Latin rite pastor to invite an Eastern Catholic priest or deacon to the Latin rite parish to educate parishioners about the second lung of the Catholic Church in the East. And also that Orthodox Christians are our brothers and sisters in Christ and reuniting the separated Churches is of utmost importance to the Church that Christ founded.
Anaphora, January 28, 2020

Moderated by  Irish Melkite 

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2024). All rights reserved.