The Byzantine Forum
Newest Members
Annapolis Melkites, Daniel Hoseiny, PaulV, ungvar1900, Donna Zoll
5,993 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (Filipe YTOL, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Latest Photos
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
St. Sharbel Maronite Mission El Paso
by orthodoxsinner2, September 30
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
Holy Saturday from Kirkland Lake
by Veronica.H, April 24
Byzantine Catholic Outreach of Iowa
Exterior of Holy Angels Byzantine Catholic Parish
Church of St Cyril of Turau & All Patron Saints of Belarus
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics35,394
Posts416,750
Members5,993
Most Online3,380
Dec 29th, 2019
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5440 04/06/05 12:29 PM
F
OP Online Content
F
Dear All,
I have just read that the name of the "in pectore" cardinal was not contained in the Pope's will. Did only the pope know his name? If so, how will we ever know who the person was?
Filipe

#5441 04/06/05 12:39 PM
Christ is Risen!

Should we wait until someone says "It is me"?!

Deacon El

#5442 04/06/05 02:46 PM
A
A
Dear Filipe:

If Pope John Paul (the Great) did indeed create a cardinal "in pectore" during the 2003 consistory, there are only 2 ways, I think, that his name be made known:

First, His Holiness should have revealed it during his lifetime in any manner before or during the next consistory, unless the life of that Cardinal is put in danger by such revelation.

Second, after his death, as in this case, his last will and testament should have identified the Cardinal "in pectore." Or, any document considered legal and binding under canon law revealing the name of the Cardinal "in pectore" duly signed by the Pope, like instructions he left for the Dean or for the College of Cardinals.

Otherwise, the identity of that Cardinal "in pectore," if there was one created, is gone unknown forever and buried with the Pope creating him.

Amado

#5443 04/06/05 05:41 PM
L
L
I do not believe his "will" has been read yet.

#5444 04/06/05 05:54 PM
I
I
The Pope may - and sometimes does - create a Cardinal "in pectore" for this or that reason (John XXIII, for instance, created Joseph Slipyj a Cardinal in pectore, because the future Patriarch was still imprisoned and it would have endangered him to make the appointment known at the time). If the Pope who did this later announces the appointment, it takes effect from the date of the original appointment. If, however, the Pope dies before announcing it, the appointment lapses completely.
Incidentally, so far as is presently known John Paul II did not leave a will.

Incognitus

#5445 04/06/05 07:24 PM
Actually, Dr. Joaquin Navarro-Valls announced today that the Cardinals had read the will of John Paul II, and that it will be published tomorrow, 4-7-05.

The date for the Conclave is set for April 18, 2005.

#5446 04/06/05 07:48 PM
T
T
Originally posted by Deacon El:
Christ is Risen!

Should we wait until someone says "It is me"?!

Deacon El
Well, I know it isn't me! wink

#5447 04/06/05 08:41 PM
A
A
Barring the discovery of another document revealing the identity of the Cardinal "in pectore," the number of eligible Cardinal electors stands pat at 117, minus the Archbishop Emeritus of Manila, Jaime Cardinal Sin, 76, who is too ill to travel to Rome as relayed by the Philippine Embassy to the Holy See.

Cardinal Sin, together with Cardinal Ratzinger and Cardinal Baum, are the only Cardinals out of the 117 not created by Pope John Paul II.

Amado

#5448 04/07/05 03:52 PM
M
M
Secret Cardinal Will Stay That Way, for Now

VATICAN CITY, APRIL 6, 2005 (Zenit.org).- John Paul II did not leave in writing the name of the cardinal he secretly appointed in 2003, meaning he won't be able to participate in the conclave.

"I can confirm that the Holy Father, before his death, did not communicate the name of the cardinal he had reserved 'in pectore,' when it was announced in the consistory of October 2003," Vatican press office director Joaqu�n Navarro Valls said today.

Thus, the question of the unknown cardinal's participation in the conclave "is no longer posed," the spokesman said. The conclave to elect a new pope begins on April 18.

Some press sources believe that this cardinal might be a Chinese bishop. If the Pope had revealed his name, they speculate, it might have sparked a negative reaction by the Beijing government.

Decades must pass before knowing who the cardinal is, which will be revealed when the archives of this pontificate are opened.
ZE05040605

"We love, because he first loved us"--1 John 4:19
#5449 04/08/05 12:57 AM
J
J
Originally posted by incognitus:
The Pope may - and sometimes does - create a Cardinal "in pectore" for this or that reason (John XXIII, for instance, created Joseph Slipyj a Cardinal in pectore, because the future Patriarch was still imprisoned and it would have endangered him to make the appointment known at the time).

Incognitus
Dear Incognitus,

I'm not sure what type of confinement he was under in 1960, the year that he was appointed a Cardinal 'in pectore' (psychiatric institution, prison, etc...). What is clear is that he was somewhere in Siberia, thousands of miles from his Metropolia in Lviv, Western Ukraine.

Question: Why would the Holy Father name him a Cardinal in pectore if he was nowhere near his 'flock' and probably never would be (the Soviets wanted all 'Bandura players' out of the picture and killed the most famous one the year before) ?

I.F.

PS: In his speach to the combined houses of Congress, President Yuschenko of Ukraine made indirect reference to the events leading to the release Patriarch Slipyj in 1963.

Link Copied to Clipboard
The Byzantine Forum provides message boards for discussions focusing on Eastern Christianity (though discussions of other topics are welcome). The views expressed herein are those of the participants and may or may not reflect the teachings of the Byzantine Catholic or any other Church. The Byzantine Forum and the www.byzcath.org site exist to help build up the Church but are unofficial, have no connection with any Church entity, and should not be looked to as a source for official information for any Church. All posts become property of byzcath.org. Contents copyright - 1996-2024 (Forum 1998-2023). All rights reserved.